Looking at a 2000 V11 Sport

Antiquar

Price not bad especially in California..  If it's been f/s awhile offer $3500 but come with $3800.  Just get it, you won't be disappointed.

just a note, the 99-00 bikes have slightly tighter geometry- less rake, trail or wheel base?, they turn in quicker than the 01-on v11's..

I found it unusual after riding my 02 a few years.. probably wouldn't have noticed without owning the Lemans first.

find more Guzzi enthusiasts here,

http://wildguzzi.com/forum

Moto Guzzi owners are for the most part a professional in some form or another. they can carry on a conversation about some portion of their bike with intelligence and reverence and will work on / fixit themselves .

No ''bulldozers" , they either know or will tell you they don't know . This is a good place to be.

What I am saying....."Buy it " ! 

• Like 1

I agree:  "just buy it"

Don't pay too much attention to my oil-pressure issue (although I would be happy to lend the gauge). My LeMans had all kinds of stuff done wrong by previous owners. If the seller knows the history and everything looks original, you'll probably be fine. It's a "buyer's market" in winter - demand goes up in spring.

I think the Sport will be a sportier ride than the Beemer.  Hopefully, given it's age and mileage it's been sorted out. 

One thing that might be a difference is riding a traditional fork on the Sport vs the Telelever Beemer.  I really like the feel and handling of the Sport (other than highway weave issue) and didn't get used to the "power steering" that some Beemers have.  It might be the opposite for you.  

Price not bad especially in California..  If it's been f/s awhile offer $3500 but come with $3800.  Just get it, you won't be disappointed.

just a note, the 99-00 bikes have slightly tighter geometry- less rake, trail or wheel base?, they turn in quicker than the 01-on v11's..

I found it unusual after riding my 02 a few years.. probably wouldn't have noticed without owning the Lemans first.

find more Guzzi enthusiasts here,

http://wildguzzi.com/forum

1999-2001 V11 have the early short frame. The only change from 2002-2004/5 is the longer frame (wheelbase) and rear wheel (rim) width(5.5 inches vs the earlier 4.5") - no published change to the fork rake or swingarm that I have found.

Again, very early 1999-2000 Sports *may" have 0.5º steeper triple trees - you must confirm the part number on the underside of the triples to know for sure.

LowRyter has the earliest Sport I know of posting here. How about a build date and triple tree number there, buddy? :huh2:

I was hoping to check out the bike today, but unfortunately the seller has not gotten back to me yet.

Will have to wait for later this week/next weekend. Thanks for all the advice folks. I'm hoping all will check out and it will follow me home.

Yeah, that I'm pretty sure that Cafe' Sport is gone.  It is very similar to Tim's Scura and was a lot more bike for the money.  Compare the different models of V11s and their various features, search for the "Breakdown of Model Year Changes" on this site.

Be patient.  I think something better will come along.

Sorta like the one you own ?

Well, you know, when you are already sleeping with The Goddess Divine, it's easy to tell others how great the universe is . . . :whistle::rolleyes:

My silver Sport kind of impresses me of what (I think) a Short Wheel Base Ferrari 250 GT would be like (not that I would know) - a little edgy, not particularly comfortable, captivatingly mechanical, an engaging sporting prowess, timeless beauty, somewhat demanding, and not at all tolerant of haphazard devotion. A old Sport will be much more rewarding on a throne than in the corner of a shed. 

I've never made the Ferrari analogy before as that is almost exclusively Ducati territory, and the SpineFrame has the Maserati connection, but I just couldn't resist the poetic comparison.

This business of rare Italian machines is, after all, one of romance and desire. :mg::wub::sun:

• Like 1

My silver Sport kind of impresses me of what (I think) a Short Wheel Base Ferrari 250 GT[/url] would be like (not that I would know) - a little edgy, not particularly comfortable, captivatingly mechanical, an engaging sporting prowess, timeless beauty, somewhat demanding, and not at all tolerant of haphazard devotion. A old Sport will be much more rewarding on a throne than in the corner of a shed.

Well said. Listen to your Doctor. Having put so much time and energy and money into my Red Frame, I was in danger of making her into a garage queen. I stopped and reminded myself of how sad those over-restored and ultra precious vintage Ferraris are, rotting away in some collection, never started, never driven. They need to be driven, and driven hard.

A motorcycle is safe in the garage, but that's not what motorcycles are built for.

• Like 1

docc,

Take a look at the recent value increase of pre-80s Maseratis...and I take exception to the comparison of Ferraris to Douche-catis.  Now MV Agustas, that's another story!

A buddy of mine has had several Ducatis over the years and on the way to the Int'l Motorcycle Show this year, I rode his '03 S4S and he took my '02 LeMans.  Couldn't believe the look on his face when he took off his helmet; all he could say was, "Damn, I could ride this thing all day!"