Looking at a 2000 V11 Sport

Antiquar

Uhhhh. I followed his silver frame all day & I can say it's quicker than mine ( or me ) anyway .

Ah :blush: - that is very kind :notworthy:

I can say that I recall the exhilaration of being passed by LowRyter's greenie on the Cherohala ascent at a South'n Spine Raid .

With apologies to Winston Churchill (and I paraphrase deeply), "There is nothing more exhilarating than being passed by three or four V11 on a cool, clear forested road!" :race: :race: :race: :race:

Well my R1100R is gone and there's an empty spot by my other bikes that needs to be filled.

I'm looking at the bike Sunday. Will be sure to update with my findings. 

I saw the bike this morning. Cosmetically it is in great shape. It had a bit of trouble starting--the throttle had to be kept open for a few seconds. I know the bike is equipped with a fast idle lever, but the owner doesn't use it and I wanted to start it like he does. There were no oil leaks from what I could tell. The instruments work--though the tach jumped around when starting. Once the bike was running the tach settled and operated correctly. One of the signal lamps didn't work--burned out I suppose.

When riding the gears shifted without drama. I was surprised by the brakes, they are pretty good for a 16 year old bike!

All in all it seemed like nothing a tune up and a few minutes of electrical work couldn't fix. We made a deal for $4k and I will be returning to get the bike next Saturday morning. :)

Congratulations. Looking forward to a full report... I just drove through LA and Orange Counties on the way home today - raining hard in spots.  Good call not to ride it home today.

Regarding the fast idle lever: I find it quite useful, now that I've got a correct rate and length spring in there (at the throttle-body end). I think a lot people find the fast idle lever useless, which it can be with the wrong spring.

The front brakes are good!   :thumbsup:

• Like 1

congrats Antiquar! happy to hear it. the way those little dash bulbs are pushed in there, it may just need a clean up/anti corrosive. removing the center light panel can become problematic. the crap plastic light base may disintegrate. you'll know if the cover bolts spin in place.

#31 on fiche...

@ Harpers http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/1990-2000-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/v-11-sport-mandello-1100-1999-2001/dashboard-en-v11-sport-mandello.html

they have the bulbs too.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, and thanks for the links docc. I've already ordered some replacement relays :). When I first got my old R1100 I spent months tracking down electrical gremlins. The culprit at last--a hairline crack in the fuel system fuse that took an extremely close inspection to find (AND the dreaded HES failure). SO much easier to just replace old relays and fuses from the get go.

NqQjjtP.jpg

The bike is mine. After getting it home I replaced the relays and adjusted the throttle grip, as it was rubbing against the bar end, and went for a ride. The bike is a hoot--there's something very visceral and satisfying about riding this bike.

There are a few problems, but mostly minor:

• The tach jumps around when the bike is in motion. This wasn't happening when I checked out the bike last week. I assume moving the bike has caused some ground to come loose. At idle it appears to read correctly at ~1200RPM.
  • There is a transmission weep. The bottom and left side of the transmission are a bit tacky with gear oil. I tightened the drain bolt in hopes that was the cause. The weep seemed slow enough to not be a serious problem, but I will clean the trans and keep an eye on it. I verified through the sight glass that the oil level is not too low.
  • The fast idle lever does not work. After inspecting the mechanism it's clear that it barely touches the butterfly stop when fully extended. It looks like I can just make an adjustment to the cable right at the RH throttle body. Is this the right way to adjust this mechanism? 
  • The left side passenger peg is stuck in the retracted position. Will have to investigate the cause

Next steps:

• Order new fluids/oil filter for a fluid change.
  • Order new valve cover gaskets.
  • Dust off my voltmeter/twinmax and do a tune up.
  • Someone has been stomping on the rear brake as the rear pads are almost spent--time to replace them.
  • I was handed a bag of stock airbox parts when I bought the bike, so apparently not all is stock. I need to figure out what changes have been made. The PO did not know.
  • Said bag of parts came with new pegs/shift/brake levers--I'll consider installing those after I ride the bike for a while.

ruhFy4H.jpg

• Like 4

"Visceral and satisfying."  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :mg:  :mg:

Congratulations on a lovely machine. Sounds like the the To-Do list is short and simple.

You found the only place the adjust the fast idle. Cable length and spring rate are the only adjustments.

The transmission cries when it's happy. It's emotional.

Some people call the Veglia gauges Vaugelia.