V11 Oil Pressure Gauge, Best Practices?

JBBenson

I did a search and found some members discussing oil pressure gauges, but looking for recommends on brand/spec/size/fittings/source etc. etc.?

I can do the install but I am sure that some of you had a learning curve that I am trying to avoid....;)

Any help appreciated.....

There are electric and mechanical types. I have an electric gauge on my LeMans; it's by Speedhut. The benefit is that I got the gauge face to match the other gauges I bought at the same time (also speedo, tach, and volt). However, this was more costly than a mechanical gauge in two increments:

1. The electric gauge cost more than a mechanical one, and
  2. I ended up upgrading to Speedhut's next level, in part because the pressure sender unit for the basic model was huge - while the sender for the next model is quite small. I replaced the OEM sender (thereby disabling the oil pressure warning light).

While I like the look of the four matching gauges I ended up with, I'm not sure that I would do all four again. I'd probably go with a simple mechanical oil pressure gauge and leave the warning light connected.

I did a search and found some members discussing oil pressure gauges, but looking for recommends on brand/spec/size/fittings/source etc. etc.?

I can do the install but I am sure that some of you had a learning curve that I am trying to avoid.... ;)

Any help appreciated.....

Why in the world would you want to run an OPG?

Ciao

Ciao

From what I gather, the OEM oil pressure sender unit is not highly reliable. A basic mechanical gauge can be installed for not much more cost than a new sender. Then you will also know how much pressure you have under various conditions - such as whether the bike is getting oil-starved on hard acceleration or steep inclines.

Some people just prefer gauges over warning lights - because gauges give you more warning.

@JB - I have an external gauge that you borrow if you just want to test pressure and are not concerned about a full-time reading.

I went with the mechanical gauge, call me old school  :oldgit:

Tapped the oil line that feeds the heads with a double banjo.

The location of the gauge in the lower fairing on the LeMans was an easy choice for me as the previous owner had a drilled a hole for a non existent switch.

Here are some pictures of the parts and such.

I do like to know that I have oil flow and what it is.

med_gallery_9718_198_209815.jpggallery_9718_198_1347413.jpg

gallery_9718_198_2040613.jpggallery_9718_198_1050792.jpggallery_9718_198_108791.jpg

Hope that helps.

Kosta

• Like 3

I like Kostirika's installation, very neat and great detail. 

I did something like that on my old Eldorado except I added a banjo to the right hand head oil feed.

The gauge I just clamped to the crash bar.

My VII Sport has the gauge on the steering damper bracket with 1/8" copper to a tee fitting where the oil pressure switch fits

As to why have a gauge, it shows the loss of pressure under acceleration which the switch never did.

The normal pressure is about 60 psi so a gauge 0 - 100psi or metric equivalent is just right

There is really not much to go wrong with a gauge, any old brand, some may be more accurate but you don't need it.

If you can't find one with a light sometimes they can be fitted with a 12 Volt LED

1-1/2" is a good size but not so easy to find

Kostirika's is filled with Glycerine or Silicone oil for damping but it's not really required

One other thing, I believe the steering column is hollow, you could prize the little chrome cap out and run a tube up there to a gauge at the top.

Electric gauges are nice but I do like old school Bourdon tube.

Yeah, saw that, I have emailed them waiting for response.

I have heard that they may be out of business.

Ciao

From what I gather, the OEM oil pressure sender unit is not highly reliable. A basic mechanical gauge can be installed for not much more cost than a new sender. Then you will also know how much pressure you have under various conditions - such as whether the bike is getting oil-starved on hard acceleration or steep inclines.

Some people just prefer gauges over warning lights - because gauges give you more warning.

@JB - I have an external gauge that you borrow if you just want to test pressure and are not concerned about a full-time reading.

Well I guess you may as well fit a Voltmeter, oil temp, and cylinder head temp gauges while your at it. Just to be sure to be sure.

The one shown fitted in the photos above has to be in the silliest place ever. If your going to waste your time fitting one you may as well have it in a location where you don't have to look at your knees to read it.

As for the reliability of the std switch well you can just replace it every 5 years or so and cover that if its such a worry.

What is it with Guzzi riders and gauges.Oil pressure,oil temp, voltmeters.....where will it end.

Ciao

• Like 1

I have the Motratech oil pressure gauge setup on my Coppa. It is a well thought out setup that fits perfectly and has worked without any problems for 3 years. After reading about the red lights under acceleration, I questioned what sort of oil pressure I actually had. Mine runs about 60 psi when cold and 55-56 when hot. I also have a "Roper plate" installed.

Bill Bassett

I posted this picture elsewhere, but thought I'd add it here as well. If mounting to a LeMans fairing, there is a lot of space between the back of the stock gauge cups and the plastic inner panel. I mounted the oil pressure gauge to the fairing bracket, which is stationary. The tack and speedo arc over the oil pressure gauge (and the volt meter on the left) when the bars move.

I can see the upper half of both gauges while riding, but I cannot see the lower/inner portion of either gauge. If the needles are in the hidden regions, I have a problem (overcharging or low oil pressure).

IMG_4546.jpg

• Like 1

Ciao

--- If your going to waste your time fitting one you may as well have it in a location where you don't have to look at your knees to read it.---

Ciao

I believe the OP said that he had an ugly hole for a switch or "something" that the PO hacked in.  I think he did an admiral job taking advantage of the ugly hole.  The only real concern I have with that location is fairing removal ...