Wider rear rim on later models?

sp838

Somewhere I read that the later model V11 got a wider rear wheel than my '01 has (4.5 x 17) Can anyone confirm this? If true, how much wider were they? Were they 5 or 5.5 x 17?

Thanks!

I think they fit the wider rear rim, and matching wider rubber, for looks. It did not need a rear tire that wide, and handling was a little slower with the wider rear tire.

It was more about style than function. If you like the look of the wider rear, it is that.

• Like 1

I am actually looking to fit a Marvic Piuma rear wheel, which comes in 5.5 or 6. 6 sounded way too wide, was hoping it was 5.5 so that I'd know it could fit.

I think they fit the wider rear rim, and matching wider rubber, for looks. It did not need a rear tire that wide, and handling was a little slower with the wider rear tire.

It was more about style than function. If you like the look of the wider rear, it is that.

While appearances have certainly driven the wider-than-necessary tires on the V11 series, I also wonder that the 5.5" rim was part of Moto Guzzi attempting to address early complaints about the V11 stability along with lengthening and bracing the frame, revising the clip-ons, and changing the tire selection. No doubt, the "long-frame" wide wheel V11 are more *planted* . . .

I am actually looking to fit a Marvic Piuma rear wheel, which comes in 5.5 or 6. 6 sounded way too wide, was hoping it was 5.5 so that I'd know it could fit.

New or used?  I could not find them at the Marvic site.

While appearances have certainly driven the wider-than-necessary tires on the V11 series, I also wonder that the 5.5" rim was part of Moto Guzzi attempting to address early complaints about the V11 stability along with lengthening and bracing the frame, revising the clip-ons, and changing the tire selection. No doubt, the "long-frame" wide wheel V11 are more *planted* . . .

That could be, but if so it is very superficial. It would only feel more stable until it became unstable. And, as the wider wheel and tire weighs more, that point / limit may be reached sooner.

I think it falls more into the fashion statement category.

Perhaps with a lighter version of the 5.5" rim it would not be as much of a handling detriment.

"Perhaps with a lighter version of the 5.5" rim it would not be as much of a handling detriment."

ding ding ding. The Brembo rear wheels are boat anchors. Even with a larger tire the whole thing will be pounds lighter. Pounds. It will be a handling improvement.

"New or used?  I could not find them at the Marvic site."

Looking for new. They recently re-designed their website and the catalog with part numbers don't seem to be available anymore. I've inquired with people here who have contacts with them, so fingers crossed that they are still available.

Looking for new. They recently re-designed their website and the catalog with part numbers don't seem to be available anymore. I've inquired with people here who have contacts with them, so fingers crossed that they are still available.

If they are available let us know.

Will do. The chances are slim, and if no longer available, the only option left are the kineo spoked wheels. They're very nice but I personnaly prefer the look of mags on the V11. Fingers crossed.

Deposit paid, rim on order. :rasta:

If anyone wants one, or a full set, get in touch with Fred Renz at Yoyodyne. 

Fingers crossed that everything goes through, you never know when ordering stuff from Italy, especially when it's for a bike that hasn't been made for 11 years and had a very small market share to begin with...

But for now, it seems like they're still available. If you do end up getting in touch with Fred, tell him Simon sent you ;)

• 2 months later...

The rim finally arrived, got it installed for a dry run just to make sure it would work before mounting a tire on it. Everything worked perfectly, even better than stock because it comes with a captive spacer on tbe drive side, super easy to install. Haven't weighed it yet, but it feels so light, it might even be lighter than the tire itself. Can not wait to ride it. Tire goes on next week asap. Rubber mallet use was mandatory as Docc knows.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2