Where's my intake funnels?

toofat2fly

This is what I found under the tank, filthy filter and that's it. Is this some sort of "Fast by Ferracci" modification? Bike runs as good as I would ever want V11 to run, so I guess it works?

image.jpg

Oh, that's nasty. You are just missing the top section of the stock airbox. That looks like nothing but a rectangular ring holding down a K&N filter that is begging to be cleaned.

Yep, that is one of the "airbox lid eliminator" kits, which is a aluminum ring that replaces the lid & snorkels.  And appears to be one very dirty K&N.

But hey good news is that according to the marketing, the K&N (and similar gauze/oil) do a better job filtering the dirtier it gets  :rolleyes:

Yes, it looks like it's been few years in a Pennsylvania coal mine. I'll try to wash it, but i have a new one already on the shelf. (Leftover from my Quota, I use paper filters on it) next fuel filter, plugs, rotten intake rubber boots etc...

Just like mine. That is a BMC kit. A Euro version of our K&N. The filter is washable. I use a K&N wash & oil kit for mine. BMC has a kit too.

Make sure your under tank insulation is securely fastened to the tank.

Same as mine, went on with the Ferracci kit, In that form it had succeeded in pulling most of the insulation from the bottom of the tank.

I cleaned the filter re- oiled it and put the lid back on, re entered a suitable map into the Power Commander and re insulated my tank. 

Result was the bike didn't pull hard to top speed anymore but I had a better machine for the road and touring- much quieter (not to mention a major increase in fuel mileage- it just about doubled)

I succumbed again to the need for instant speed and found another lid on eBay. It just went on with a couple holes drilled on the vertical plane aft. Just to give it the top end whizz!

Im curious to see how she goes. And if it whistles or shrieks at me.

Do a plug reading make sure you're getting the right amount of fuel. 

footgoose - my understanding is that the eliminator kits replace the air box lid - so to go back to a lid you might need to remove the filter clamp kit?

In my own case, I drilled the hell out the stock air box lid, cut off the snorkels and run with a K&N filter.

toofat how does the bike sound without the lid? is it too loud?

Not in my opinion.

Then again my sport car has 3" side exhaust without cats and Walker chambered mufflers, so what do I know about anything being loud....

• Like 1

What insulation???

​Maybe it got sucked into that filthy air filter?

So... Should I try to get original or something else? Any issues if I leave it "as is"?

image.jpg

mine isn't much louder (intake noise, which I LOVE) than stock. I have a Feracci xover and stock cans. We'll see when the Ti's go on in a few weeks. :) Sound is the "charm" of a twin.

Gio - I didn't realize K&N sold one for stock config. sounds like a good alternative while still using the snorkels.

What insulation???

So... Should I try to get original or something else? Any issues if I leave it "as is"?

image.jpg

Insulation may be the wrong word. I'd say it's more of a chrome-ish metalic tape. much like hvac duct tape.. the good stuff. I actually used some of that to re-attach where my stock stuff was falling off, around the edges. I think it's original purpose was more to reflect heat than anything else.

mr monkey, what is this lid you speak of? the top of my stock air box won't fit on my BMC plate.

Clean the BMC, flip it over, get rid of the aluminum retainer plate and the stock lid goes on just fine.

What insulation???

image.jpg

Yeah the Metallic tape works wonders at holding the insulation in place, find some thin insulation. The only issue I would be worried about is heat under the tank in slow traffic. It is a plastic tank, todays fuel has the potential to make it swell, add heat and it wont help.

Thats my 2 cents

Cheers