Tell me about my '01 V11 Sport

HRC_V4

I have about 200 miles of seat time on my V11 Sport, and i love it, but it is still in GA at a buddy's house.

I put the Hepco & Becker hard bags on it, road about 100 miles with them this weekend, I did not have much in them, but really did not notice them.

My questions are about the modifications to this bike, a previous owner made some changes, or what I think are changes, and I just want to know about them.

He removed the steering stabilizer and there were a few times this weekend I thought it would have been good to have.  Any opinion on the removal?  Any idea where to get one?

The bar conversion was done, I really like it, but just wondering what brand it is and if I can get a throttle lock to fit it.

Is this the original seat?  It did well, but after about 2 hours, I needed to move around to get my butt to wake up.  Not bad at all, just more an FYI question.

Bags ss.JPG

Bar ss.JPG

I've always felt the front end to be a little vague on my 02 Lemans. The handlebar conversion probably doesn't help your description of front end feel. Steering stabilizer will definitely quell some of the instability.

I've always had a stock seat on my bike, one of the best seats I've ever had on a motorcycle stock or otherwise IMO.

Otherwise she's a damn fine looking machine! Congrats!

seat looks re-worked..

bars look really nice, no idea what they are..

if you need a steering dampner go for something after market. stock wears out fast. I never thought it was needed but the 02 and later have  slightly less rake..

Nice looking bike w/low miles, good for you!

• Like 1

I ride a LM so can't comment on the Sport re: dampner. I think you answered your own question tho, & +1 on getting the aftermarket.

+1 on the bike being beautiful. She was kept clean.

I'll take a wild guess on the bars. LSL maybe from Spiegler??

Seat? reworked for sure. The upright position will be harder on the butt, easier on the neck.

congratulations on the nice score.

Fabulous motorcycle you have there. Time to put some miles on it. Maybe you should keep an eye on the rubber (such as air intake boots) as they are getting up in years. 

I put a Shindy damper on my LeMans, following Docc's good experience on a red-framed bike like yours. I've been pleased with it, although I leave it fairly loose for quicker steering and insurance against big bumps.

Other than the seat, handlebars, flyscreen, luggage, and valve cover paint, it appears to be all stock.

You might enjoy seeing a brochure for your bike when it was new:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18360&page=2

• Like 1

Thanks all, she has a few nicks here and there, but is over all pretty nice.  And I plan to go through her when I get her home.  She seems to run better and better the more I ride her. With the low miles, she needs more time on the road.  First tank was abut 33mpg of around town and back roads. 

The valve covers are another issue, I don't don't mind the red, but I wish it matched the other red on the bike.  When I do the valve adjustment, I will strip the paint off.  Any one have a red paint code that is close, or a better idea on the valve covers?

That is my buddy's 800, I have a couple of 750's and a 700.

Compared to my '95 750, the sound is better, much more torque and engine braking, more of an upright seating position which is keeping my throttle hand feeling much better.  It seems to have a lower center of gravity which makes it more maneuverable at low speed.  The little screen seems to do a good job of wind protection up to a point.

So far the only down points are vibration, which I have to admit is getting better on this bike the more I ride it, and the transmission gives me false neutrals, I think I am just going to have to be more deliberate with it.  I guess the other would be MPG's, 45-50 on the VFR,

This is actually a replacement for my old GL1000, I like having a standard/touring, but I live about 45 minutes from Shady Valley, so I tend to push the Wing a little too much on the curves.  Also going to use this as my touring machine, the hard luggage and a better feeling throttle hand fits the bill.

Deliberate shifting will help. Some people (self included) have found that Redline Shockproof gear oil improves the feel of the transmission. There is a lightweight, blue oil, which some use in the tranny. I run the red heavy, shockproof in tranny and final drive.

As for valve covers: I had mine powder-coated and am pleased with that - got the guards done at the same time so they match.

This is actually a replacement for my old GL1000, I like having a standard/touring, but I live about 45 minutes from Shady Valley, so I tend to push the Wing a little too much on the curves.  Also going to use this as my touring machine, the hard luggage and a better feeling throttle hand fits the bill.

Oh, my . . . that's how I got here! The '75 GL1000 just wouldn't hang in the corners without throwing showers of sparks. :o

You're in the right place to get the V11 sorted. Consider coming to the South'n Spine Raid in September - great opportunity to park it up next to others and learn a great deal about it.

• Like 1

That is my buddy's 800, I have a couple of 750's and a 700.

Compared to my '95 750, the sound is better, much more torque and engine braking, more of an upright seating position which is keeping my throttle hand feeling much better.  It seems to have a lower center of gravity which makes it more maneuverable at low speed.  The little screen seems to do a good job of wind protection up to a point.

So far the only down points are vibration, which I have to admit is getting better on this bike the more I ride it, and the transmission gives me false neutrals, I think I am just going to have to be more deliberate with it.  I guess the other would be MPG's, 45-50 on the VFR,

My selector mechanism rework and and shift lever rod arm extension have been a revelation with regards to shifting on my bike. Shifting is Japanese bike standard now.

Ciao   

I have about 200 miles of seat time on my V11 Sport, and i love it, but it is still in GA at a buddy's house.

I put the Hepco & Becker hard bags on it, road about 100 miles with them this weekend, I did not have much in them, but really did not notice them.

My questions are about the modifications to this bike, a previous owner made some changes, or what I think are changes, and I just want to know about them.

He removed the steering stabilizer and there were a few times this weekend I thought it would have been good to have.  Any opinion on the removal?  Any idea where to get one?

The bar conversion was done, I really like it, but just wondering what brand it is and if I can get a throttle lock to fit it.

Is this the original seat?  It did well, but after about 2 hours, I needed to move around to get my butt to wake up.  Not bad at all, just more an FYI question.

My wifes V11, an early red frame version like yours, came with the factory steering damper. It failed, and when it failed it caused serious handling issues. So we took it off with the intent of ordering a new one. It worked so much better without the damper, the steering was lighter and more precise, that we never replaced it. Now, many years and miles later it is still doing fine.

If you like the heavier steering the damper provides, put one back on. But the bikes steering geometry does not really need one in my opinion. If yours wobbles without one, something is wrong.

The bars could be Billy-Bob bars from a V11 that came with bars. But from a picture that is hard to tell. The source of the bars should not make a difference if you want to fit a throttle lock.

Funny thing about the seat. That looks like a stock seat, and to some it is perfect. To others it needs help. For us the stock seat was perfect, and was one of the selling points compared to the other bikes the wife was interested in.

I had my stock seat-foam reshaped a couple of times before I was happy with it. I also flattened the seat pan and dropped the battery a tad to get rid of the hard edges molded into the pan.

Consider dropping the footpegs, see if that helps....1" lower pegs from Knight Design really helped my butt and knees.

Thanks again!  Do you have the part # for the Shindy damper?  And I will check out the rubber boots.

Red Line is good stuff, I will plan on that when I get it home.  I run the 75w90NS is my Alfa transaxles and it made a huge difference in them.

Mine is a 78, I enjoy it, but I could never adjust my riding to it.  I am sure I will get there one day, but for now this is a better choice, and will be for a while.

The fall ride sounds good, but I have a trip planned for mid Sept to NW Arkansas, it will be the first major trip on this one and one of the reasons for the H&P cases.

The lower pegs sound good too, I was thinking my knees seemed a little high compared to the tank, I will give them a try.