Tell me about my '01 V11 Sport

HRC_V4

Do you have the part # for the Shindy damper? 

You'll find the Shindy damper part number in the second post of this thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18986&hl=shindy&do=findComment&comment=203906

To find it, I typed "Shindy" in the search box - making sure "forums" was selected, not "this topic."

I have about 200 miles of seat time on my V11 Sport, and i love it, but it is still in GA at a buddy's house.

I put the Hepco & Becker hard bags on it, road about 100 miles with them this weekend, I did not have much in them, but really did not notice them.

My questions are about the modifications to this bike, a previous owner made some changes, or what I think are changes, and I just want to know about them.

He removed the steering stabilizer and there were a few times this weekend I thought it would have been good to have.  Any opinion on the removal?  Any idea where to get one?

The bar conversion was done, I really like it, but just wondering what brand it is and if I can get a throttle lock to fit it.

Is this the original seat?  It did well, but after about 2 hours, I needed to move around to get my butt to wake up.  Not bad at all, just more an FYI question.

NICE ALFA 75 !!!!!

Very good, a Milano Platinum, aka Alfa 75.  That is my buddy's, and half the reason for the trip down to ride my Guzzi, I helped him swap one of my spare clutches in, or at least was the plan, but a leaking shifter seal stopped us.  I own a Verde, aka 75 3.0 America.  I also have a another 116 chassis car, an '86 GTV6.

DSCF1241.JPG

• Like 1

gtv6. what a lovely car. I was an ALFA salesman (very short stint) in '86 and got to drive a few. Loved that rear tranny. thanks.

Thanks, it is hard for me to think it is now 30 years old, I've owned it for 21 years (2nd owner) and it now has over 240k miles on it. It started my love affair with things Italian, and also got me into working on cars (and other fuel fed items).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I finally got her home, the GF and I took off Saturday morning about 9:00am for a ~300 miles to my buddy's house, I put on my gear and rode ~300 miles back through North GA and Western NC and got home about 8:00pm.  No issues, enjoyed the ride so much I got up Sunday morning and went for a 30 miles ride.  I got 41 mpg and 38 mpg, latter with more highway speeds.

I have a few new newby questions, is there any real trick or technique to checking the oil?  I know it is good to be a little higher than full.

I have been reading up on the balancing, but the vacuum nipples are plugged and not connected by a hose, one was unplugged, and when I plugged it most (75%) of my vibration went away.  Is it ok to leave them plugged or should I run a hose inbetween?  I am planning on changing all the fluids, I have considered changing the return spring while I am at it, one to not worry for a while, but the other is to learn to do it in case I need to do it on the side of the road, is this a good idea?  I put the Knight lowering pegs on, but it moved my feet wider and now it seems my brake lever does not stick out enough to get to comfortably, any ideas on this?  My battery light flickers at idle if I don't leave it on the charger over night, goes away once the rpm's pick up, I have read this is nothing to worry about and to clean grounds and connections, does this seem right?  I guess from the picture below shows why I need to check the boots...

That is about it, here is a picture of part of my collection.

Guzzi Brake.JPG

Guzzi Crack.JPG

No trick to checking the oil. I check it on the bike roughly vertical or with a board under the kickstand threaded mostly all the way.

No worries about the balancing nipples, plugged or connected either way is fine.

Why worry about changing the return spring? If it's not broke don't fix it. If my memory serves me it was only the 02 and on that some had the incorrect boss on them. Either way if you do decide to get proactive about it measure the boss that the spring goes on some were too big.

The brake pedal is just a little bolt going through, you could easily find a longer bolt and add some spacers.

I know some aftermarket regs would allow the charging to get low at idle, not sure though. You can alway check the voltage with a meter though.

Now what's up with that RC30? Yours? Can I have it?....

• Like 1

Thanks! If the spring issue does not impact the 2001, then I will leave it alone, but carry a spare.  I have new boots ordered, will change engine and gear oil, and rear/diff, plus brakes and clutch fluid.  I'll check on the longer bolt and spacers.  New tires will be coming before long, have miss-matched Dunlops, front looks good, but the rear has a big flat spot.

That is mine, owned it for about 15 years.   Not for sale, doubt it ever will be, but of you are ever in the area...

Buy a spring and install it in the monkey paw trap to ensure you will never need it.

The light flickering at idle is pretty normal.

Do check the main battery ground, make sure it's nice and tight to a gearbox bolt.

The bike may have a mixture of 4 pin and 5 pin relays, if that's the case order all 5 pin replacements.

Wow, the mileage is super low no wonder you find it just gets better, it's still being run in.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the first oil change is going into a week now.  I ordered the special tool for the filter cover, but did not have the tool for the filter removal/install.  So I wait a few days and it comes in, try to get the old filter out, well, it is the 8 sided, not the newer 14 sided...  So off comes the oil pan, I get the old one off, put the pan back on, try to fill the new filter with oil, but I got the gallon of oil and it won't pour it, so I get it about half full, put it in no problem.  I go to put the cover back on and now my o-ring is about 2 sizes too big...  WTF?!?!?!  How did my o-ring grow over 2 days, it was fine when I spun it back on after realizing I was not completing the oil change in one day.  New o-ring is ordered, but I sprayed the old one down with brake cleaner and put it in the freezer hoping that would shrink it back to size.  Anyone else run into this?