Tell me about my '01 V11 Sport

HRC_V4

Never had a problem with the "O" ring.

A lot of owners myself included put a hose clamp on the filter to ensure it will never loosen off. Good news is you don't need a new filter every oil change.

Sent from my shoe phone!

Yes, my O ring expanded in the half hour it was off. Got it squeezed back in tho.. pita. And I had the same problem with the oil filter. Dropped the pan and stuck a screwdriver through it to remove. I now own every possible filter wrench! Docc posted I THINK '1&1/4 turns past finger tight' for the filter. Don't quote me. There is an explanation with that post.

Once the Goose trains you how it wants to be cared for, you'll get along quite nicely.

I may need more info on the hose clamp on the oil filter, are you tying it to something, or will the screw mechanism on the hose clamp keep it from turning by hitting something?

I will double check the tightness on the oil filter, glad someone else had the same issue with the O-ring, I could fit it in the slot all the way around, and had enough excess to make a loop big enough to put my finger through.  Hopefully it will be small enough this evening to fit it back on, if not I will soak it in brake cleaner to get it to shrink more. If not I will be on a VFR this weekend and finish it up next week when the new O-ring comes in.

I am looking at this as a learning experience, oil changes are a PITA on the Alfa's too, I am hoping the ease of the valve adjustment will make up for it like it does in the Alfas.

I think the Brake-kleen is what happened . Wait for it to return to it's original state or order another one. 

Go to a bolt store or hardware store and purchase a nut with a 1'' or  head . See if it fits the recess in the cover. The hole is 26.5 mm hex. If it does (should) then you have the tool to remove the cover.

All brands of filters have a different o.d. and different # of flutes on the end cap of the filter. Find a filter you like and stick with it.

My 2cents is to purchase a Roper plate and install on your next service . I use the hose clamp to hold the filter IN PLACE. Yes it adds lots of time to the oil change but I know Mr. Filter is in the same place I left it.

BTW , the Roper Plate is the most beautiful thing you will install and never see again on your bike.

• Like 2

BTW , the Roper Plate is the most beautiful thing you will install and never see again on your bike.

Yes - that's exactly right. LOL

I've never used the manhole cover. If it's filter change time I just drop the oil pan. Sorry no help here.

I used the manhole cover and kept cross threading it trying to get it back on.  I ended up dropping the pan anyway.  

OK, I am in on the Roper Plate.  Still trying to get the o-ring back to size, it is smaller, but still falls over the cover....

Another pan dropper here. I won't mess with the manhole cover..and that's before I heard anything about O-ring growth!

Good luck.

If you think you will have problems installing anything threaded . e.g. the manhole cover .
Put it up to the oilpan bore and turn it as if you were unscrewing it. You will feel it click as it passes the first thread . Stop and start screwing it in as in the direction  you are tightening it . This method works on good threads only. If you have messed them up , you will need a thread file & patience.  

You will never crossthread anything again.

• Like 1

Docc posted I THINK '1&1/4 turns past finger tight' for the filter. Don't quote me. There is an explanation with that post.

Once the gasket touches, an additional one and one-eighth (1 1/8) turns. It was Ryland3210 who derived this and I was impressed with his methodology.

The new O-ring showed up and fits and is on the bike.  But I am going to hold off on filling it until the roper plate comes in.  Still have other things to work on like putting the new boots on, valve adjustment, shifter spring, etc.  Plus I ordered the stand for it, and I have a feeling it will make the roper plate install a little easier.  And the new O-ring fit inside the old one...

I despise oil filters that use o-ring seal on the filter base instead or the quad ( square ) ring .

I have never seen one that did not relax and allow the filter to loosen.

p.s. I know you will not remove the manhole cover again but do not use any solvents on rubber when cleaning them. A good clean rag and cover them until you use them.  

After years of experience in making things grow to the point they will no longer fit , no solvents !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And the 3 week oil change is done, along with the Roper plate!!!  It ended up not being a big deal, they have been doing road destruction work on my road for the last three weeks, and it has been HOT!  I also got the rear tire replaced, I still need to do the front and a laundry list of other things, but once the front tire is done, I can at least take her for a ride.

Guzzi Roper 1.JPG

Guzzi Roper 2.JPG

Guzzi Roper 3.JPG

Guzzi Roper 4.JPG