Tell me about my '01 V11 Sport

HRC_V4

This winter I will pull the Speedo out and send it off, it started jumping a few months ago, I put a new cable on it and it jumps less now, but I would like to get that fixed during the off season.

Thanks all!!!

You have the white face Veglia in your 2001? Issues with the angle drives, especially the one at the gear box often contribute to the jumpy needle.  Check to see if the lower drive rotates easily by hand and tighten it to the gearbox.

OK, mine has 4...  Old one has none. 

I took the gear drive off, it seemed ok, went ahead and cleaned and greased it.  Put it back on, went for a ride, speedo went from jumping prior to vibrating to nothing after a couple of miles.  Got home took it all apart and this is what I found;

• With the cable tight to the speedo, I could not turn the cable from the gear end, take the cable lose from speedo and the cable spins easily.
  • Looked at the washers, took two out, now with the cable tight to the speedo I can spin the cable and see the speedo bounce.
  • Put the gear on the end of the cable (not connected to the trans) and I can not spin the cable/gear, but it spins fine and seems tight when not connected to the cable.  I guess I need to leave the gear connected to the cable, take loose from the speedo and see if it spins.

All I can think is that I did not have the speedo end tight when I put the new cable on, the threads look a little rough, so maybe I get it crossed up and that let it work. I have the fairing off so I can make sure it is threaded correct.  I ordered a new gear drive and I will take the other washer out and see what I find when I hook it all back up.

I am now down to one washer, and I can spin the cable from the bottom of the gear drive.  Rain comes today and things get cooler, but hopefully I can get a ride in this weekend and test it out.

• 4 months later...

During the off-season I sent off my speedo for a service, and also took the time to put the heavy gearbox oil in.  Finally got her out today for a wonderful ride.  I surprised me how much difference the heavy oil made for shifting.  Speedo still bounces a little, but I can easily tell how fast I am going.  I am glad motorcycle season is back! 

• Like 1

I am getting relocated to VA in a few months, so I think I will be in need of some good mountain roads by then, so I will do my best to make it.  The upside is I will be doing more riding after I move.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

OK, I am in VA now, enjoyed the cool Saturday morning to get out ride about 170 miles.  But I have another question, anyone have a stock engine map for a 2001 V11 Sport?  I have done the tune up, adjusted the CO Trim to negative territory, (-7 if memory serves) and after my 170 mile ride, my brand new plugs were pretty dark, plus I am getting some spark knock at higher 5k+ rpms with heavy throttle, dark plus and spark knock make we want to start with a known map.  I have added slip ons, with DB killers installed, I guess that could add to my lean at higher RPMs, but why do I have black plugs?   The last 50 miles was at about 60 mph, so not low speed riding.

Guzzi Parkway 4 sm.jpg

But I have another question, anyone have a stock engine map for a 2001 V11 Sport?

PM me with your email address and I will send you a stock map. But you could do better, depending on the configuration of the bike: what air filters, what crossover, exhaust...

See the experience Jazzamoto reported in this post: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17865&page=17&do=findComment&comment=219607

Actually that whole topic should be quite useful for you.