Oil filter alternatives

Gottagetone

I have had good luck with the Wix filter, NAPA filter, and Mobil 1 filter. I don't really worry too much about it, any quality filter is fine. It really comes down to which quality filter is easiest to get where you live. I used to live near a NAPA dealer, so they were easy to get. Now I don't, so I will probably be using something else. I prefer to buy from a local source, I know the internet allows you to order anything from anywhere, often at a good price. But where is the internet when you need something that day? Support your local shop, or you may not have a local shop.

I recall there was a member who used a filter with a sticker on the outside, but was adamant that you had to remove it before installation.

Again, remember to turn the filter 1 1/8 turns after the gasket makes contact ( the old "hand tight" rule DOES NOT apply here!) and be certain the old gasket comes off with the old filter.

1 1/8 turns?  Docc, you must be stronger than Charles Atlas.  And then you have to screw that oily thing off?  Superman (or Channel Locks)

I can only say, I am glad I use the hose clamp   :grin:

Shit, my hands are smaller than Donald Trump's.  

Put the new filter on and used a filter wrench...I must say 1 1/8 turn after contact may happen but snug up then 1 1/8 is tight.

Tighter than I would have typically gone "by feel."

But the poster who came up with that had a great methodology, which has made me a believer. :luigi::nerd:

Others are hose clamp believers. :ph34r:

Put the new filter on and used a filter wrench...I must say 1 1/8 turn after contact may happen but snug up then 1 1/8 is tight.

Others are hose clamp believers. :ph34r:

Or just hosers? :grin:

• Like 1