RAM clutch slip

moscowphil

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this topic http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16675 Baldini says "When I fitted RAM unit I had a mismatch between dimensions of clutch pushrod & clutch centre button resolved by using OME button in RAM clutch."

Many Thanks for finding this. It might well be the explanation. The RAM clutch I fitted came completely assembled, so obviously It's got the RAM centre button in it. If the pushrod isn't seating properly in the centre button this would have the effect of making the pushrod seem too long, and cause the problem I experienced. Looks like the only way to find out is pull the bike apart, which I will do next winter, while sticking with the spacer bodge in the meantime. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Problem when I fitted RAM kit was original Scura pushrod wasn't long enough to disengage RAM clutch.

Widths were compatable - & pushrod seated fine, it just didn't work the clutch.

I replaced RAM centre button with the original Scura one which gave a shorter distance between slave cylinder & pushrod seat, & that worked fine.

Clutch pushrod 01 08 57 30

The pushrod from the original single plate clutch (Tenni and Scura) is 203mm long and 8mm in diameter.  On the gearbox side the pushrod has a shoulder 5mm from the end and the diameter at the gearbox end is 6mm.  For me this works with the twin plate clutch and steel flywheel.

I originally ordered a RAM clutch.  I was wrongly supplied with a RAM clutch/flywheel for a 5 speed.  I did fit it to the engine and was ready to refit the gearbox when I checked the clutch button and it was a smaller diameter (maybe 6mm). 

Did you check the size/fit of the pushrod/clutch button when fitting the RAM clutch?

Problem when I fitted RAM kit was original Scura pushrod wasn't long enough to disengage RAM clutch.

Widths were compatable - & pushrod seated fine, it just didn't work the clutch.

I replaced RAM centre button with the original Scura one which gave a shorter distance between slave cylinder & pushrod seat, & that worked fine.

My problem is exactly the opposite, despite having done exactly the same as you!

Clutch pushrod 01 08 57 30

The pushrod from the original single plate clutch (Tenni and Scura) is 203mm long and 8mm in diameter.  On the gearbox side the pushrod has a shoulder 5mm from the end and the diameter at the gearbox end is 6mm.  For me this works with the twin plate clutch and steel flywheel.

I originally ordered a RAM clutch.  I was wrongly supplied with a RAM clutch/flywheel for a 5 speed.  I did fit it to the engine and was ready to refit the gearbox when I checked the clutch button and it was a smaller diameter (maybe 6mm). 

Did you check the size/fit of the pushrod/clutch button when fitting the RAM clutch?

No I didn't. The RAM unit was supplied fully assembled, and claimed to be a simple bolt-on - which is what I did, without checking anything (yes I know now I should have checked, but hindsight is a wonderful thing..). Possibly I was supplied with a clutch for a 5 speed as well, I won't know until I pull it apart.