Roper Plate Group Buy

Scud

Pete - everything I know about is on the list in the first post of this thread. As of now, three people in AU/NZ told me they paid you directly (one of which is for the Tonti plate). You may have received up to three other V11 orders from people on the list.

Producing 40 V11 plates seems reasonable to me. I'd take at least two more to the US for as-yet-unidentified buyers, but I don't want any extra Tonti plates.

You could periodically post ads here and on WildGuzzi till you sell the balance.

It would seem at some point that demand would slow or stop, since these bikes aren't being made anymore. But low mileage examples keep coming out of hibernation, or getting sold out of collections, and people are riding them. Restorations/renewals/rebuilds are also happening. You know what's funny (and a testament to the value of your solution) - one guy told me he's buying a plate because he wants to buy a V11 in the future. He's gonna hold onto the plate till he finds the right bike.

My V11s spend a lot of time going up mountains at high RPMs. Thanks to you, I don't have to worry about the oil-pump gulping air due to excess sloshing of oil in the broad-sump.

I think I will take my LeMans over Sherman Pass to celebrate after the plate is in.  :race:

Scud , I finally got my act together and sent via paypal . Hope all is well and looking forward to getting this on the bike . If more funds are needed for shipping please let me know . 

Cheers ,

Steve

Picked the plates up today. I got 40 V11 plates and five 'Tonti' plates. In fact I found three more of the 'Tonti' plates in the shed! I have to go down to Melbourne today but I'll try and organise shipping on Monday.

Pete

• Like 1

That's great. I was able to catch MG Cycle before they shipped - and increased my gasket order.

Current Status:

• Two more V11 plate/gasket kits are available through me.
  • Pete therefore has 8 more available directly from him.

Tim,

You're a stud.  We gotta meet up for a ride. Found a donor speedo over in Santa Cruz, so will be removing the cluster and sending it over to Palo Alto for repair and refresh.  Hoping to be good as new.

Sean

Pardon my lack of knowledge. What's a Roper Plate?

That's good question. 

Anyone care to make a reply, please?

An aftermarket windage tray. Designed to help our primitive engines deal with folks with heavy duty wrists.

The oil pickup will starve being near the front of the engine with even a moderately low oil level, on some bikes.

Probably a better explanation if you do a search on the forum.

• Like 1

Here's a thread documenting installation, including Pete's opinion about proper oil level - just below the plate. It has some good discussion about what the plate does and why you might want one (or in Rox's case, two).

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8985

--------------

Update on the kits - as Pete posted above, the plates are on the way to the US. MG Cycle shipped to me today, but they only had enough gaskets to do 20 kits now - balance available within 2 weeks.

Once I get everything in, I'll ship in this order:

1. Tonti plates (I am not supplying gaskets for these and don't have to wait for anything else)
  2. Anyone who sends me a message and says they have urgent need (such as bike is currently in service)
  3. Order of payments I received

Here we have a stack of plates.

IMG_4950.jpg

They don't weigh much independently, but dang... they sure get heavy when you pile 'em up.

All nice and official with motomoda Australia etched right in them - along with a phone number. So if you forget the number to Pete's dealership, just take your engine apart, and there it is...

• Like 4

Impressive! My compliments to all involved. Of course: especially Scud and Pete. :notworthy:

I mean, look, the original post in this thread is one month ago! Just amazing. :thumbsup:

So far it's been smooth sailing.

...and the first three plates have been dispatched without gaskets - two Tonti plates and one on the way to a dealer to catch a motorcycle mid-service.

Hopefully, I can ship most of the rest next week when the gaskets come in.

========================

In addition to the install thread I linked to above, here's the basic install process. It has 12 steps to help with our curious form of addiction:

1. Drain oil.
  2. Remove lower sump (pan).
  3. Remove sidestand.
  4. Remove upper sump (ring) and internal pipes where the filter goes.
  5. Install plate between upper sump ring and block - use 2 gaskets to sandwich the plate - note that surface imperfections on plate will not be a problem, the gaskets will fill any minor scratches. Install gaskets dry - no glue.
  6. Take a picture of your dipstick, notice how much it sticks through the plate, think about using more oil than the factory recommendation.
  7. Install oil filter - determine whether you are "security-hose-clamp" or "turns-past-contact" kind of guy.
  8. Install lower sump pan and gasket.
  9. Fill oil.
  10. Elongate lower hole in sidestand bracket. The plate mounts between the brackets' two holes, therefore the lower hole should be enlarged downward by about the thickness of the plate.
  11. Install sidestand.
  12. Go WOT up the nearest mountain.  :race: