Roper Plate Group Buy

Scud

So far it's been smooth sailing.

...and the first three plates have been dispatched without gaskets - two Tonti plates and one on the way to a dealer to catch a motorcycle mid-service.

Hopefully, I can ship most of the rest next week when the gaskets come in.

========================

In addition to the install thread I linked to above, here's the basic install process. It has 12 steps to help with our curious form of addiction:

1. Drain oil.
  2. Remove lower sump (pan).
  3. Remove sidestand.
  4. Remove upper sump (ring) and internal pipes where the filter goes.
  5. Install plate between upper sump ring and block - use 2 gaskets to sandwich the plate - note that surface imperfections on plate will not be a problem, the gaskets will fill any minor scratches. Install gaskets dry - no glue.
  6. Take a picture of your dipstick, notice how much it sticks through the plate, think about using more oil than the factory recommendation.
  7. Install oil filter - determine whether you are "security-hose-clamp" or "turns-past-contact" kind of guy.
  8. Install lower sump pan and gasket.
  9. Fill oil.
  10. Elongate lower hole in sidestand bracket. The plate mounts between the brackets' two holes, therefore the lower hole should be enlarged downward by about the thickness of the plate.
  11. Install sidestand.
  12. Go WOT up the nearest mountain.  :race:

Just to add a step..... Brace bike or use centre stand before removing the side stand :D

Looking at the sump and the position the plate occupies it's hard to see how it works way up there, is it by allowing the oil level to be raised without it thrashing around with the crank?

I have a pressure gauge on mine, I note it only starves if I let the level get below full.

Sent from my shoe phone!

Roy, I think that's part of it. Here's my understanding of the main benefits/functions:

1. Sloppage - the plate provides a ceiling for the oil at the back of the sump. This stops the oil from rushing way up the back of the engine, which could expose the oil pickup. This is most likely to happen on hard acceleration, wheelies, going up steep grades, or some combination thereof.
  2. Windage - the plate contains most of the splashing oil, which reduces the amount of oil that can escape through the breather system.
  3. Oil capacity - the plate itself does not increase the capacity of the sump - but it allows you to put more oil in the sump without worrying about excess windage. More oil = slower breakdown of the molecules.
  4. Coolness - self-explanatory.
  5. Resale value - see JB's comments at the start of this thread.

Pete shipped me more plates than I asked for. I think I have 4 still available - but I am waiting on gaskets before I can ship kits.

Most of the gaskets arrived today. While getting ready to ship some kits, I spotted a book on the shelf with a title that seemed fitting: Complexity and Group Processes.

IMG_4958.jpg

I'm sending PMs with tracking numbers as I ship them. Got a few done tonight for shipment tomorrow. Will do another batch tomorrow and keep at it till I run out of gaskets.

Thank you Scud for putting in the effort to make this happen.

Of course, I am on my own when it comes time to install, oh well.....

Just finished packing up everything I could - until I ran out of upper sump gaskets. As soon as I receive the remaining gaskets I'll ship the rest.

The numbers are working out as expected. Thank-you all for trusting me with your money in advance so I could consolidate it, get it to Pete, and get this project rolling. I made a donation of €130 (a bit more than US$150) to the forum.

I still have a few plates available, and will get gaskets to make them into kits on the same terms. Send me a PM if you want one.

I am hoping for a very special thing along with the gasket shipment... Footgoose is hoping too... but we don't want to jinx it...  shhhhh.... 

• Like 4

Just received my package. Tim, thanks again for making this happen. A big thank you to Pete for taking the time to make a batch of Roper Plates again! As said above I believe we are in the presence of a fine group of people. 

I am in!  Tell me how much and where to send the money.  Can't get the oil changed anyway.....