Scura handling

Sierra77

I know this is a little off topic, but I have a Scura specific question. I have patiently done a soft restore on my Scura. It's not perfect cosmetic speaking, but certainly draws attention. It only has 6000 miles and is fun for little jaunts or high speed, but I find it exhausting when used for practical commuting below 55 mph. I guess it's the tires, but it just seems too "flickable" and without the stabilizing aerodynamic force from speed it wanders from track due to pavement imperfections. I've decided it demands too much attention on my towns rough roads to be enjoyable. Are there any tires which can slow down the lean speed and make it track better? If not, I'm afraid I'm going to put it on the block. Has anyone found a tire that tames the tiger? Mine is an '03.

I know this is a little off topic, but I have a Scura specific question. I have patiently done a soft restore on my Scura. It's not perfect cosmetic speaking, but certainly draws attention. It only has 6000 miles and is fun for little jaunts or high speed, but I find it exhausting when used for practical commuting below 55 mph. I guess it's the tires, but it just seems too "flickable" and without the stabilizing aerodynamic force from speed it wanders from track due to pavement imperfections. I've decided it demands too much attention on my towns rough roads to be enjoyable. Are there any tires which can slow down the lean speed and make it track better? If not, I'm afraid I'm going to put it on the block. Has anyone found a tire that tames the tiger? Mine is an '03.

Thanks for posting, Sierra77! I'm not entirely convinced that is "Scura specific." The Scura Registrar can decide whether to let this topic run here in the registry. Otherwise, I would suggest we move it to 24/7 V11 and get some broader input and opinions about potential solutions.

Simple enough to start with tires (what make/model are you running, sizes (especially the rear), tire pressures, age of the tires?

Yet, I suspect we'll be getting into suspension set-up pretty quickly. First, where is your steering damper set?

Thanks for posting, Sierra77! I'm not entirely convinced that is "Scura specific." The Scura Registrar can decide whether to let this topic run here in the registry. Otherwise, I would suggest we move it to 24/7 V11 and get some broader input and opinions about potential solutions.

Simple enough to start with tires (what make/model are you running, sizes (especially the rear), tire pressures, age of the tires?

Yet, I suspect we'll be getting into suspension set-up pretty quickly. First, where is your steering damper set?

Riding a little over 300 miles today, I thought about this a lot. Now, I'm more curious than ever.  I can't imagine the Scura is harder to ride around than an 1100 Sport! Gotta be some simple set-up . . . make sure your steering damper is backed fully off, and air up the tires (I like 35/40). Fresh tires may help and a 170 on the rear instead of the stock 180 fitment may be helpful.

Let us know what you find! :mg:

• Like 1

Most people find the front springs too soft and have to replace them. I got away with stock springs, but I weigh 165. Suspension set up took me a while, because I had never done it before. But it totally transformed the bike (in a good way). Step one - check sag. There are some Ohlins manuals on the filesharing area that show how to check sag.

@Docc - perhaps moving these posts to a new thread would be good. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. 02 scura tires/pressures all to spec. Haven't had the time to hunt up the manuals you're referencing, so used the service manual for a v11 cafe sport. Tires are too old, tread good, but hard. New ones on the way. I set everything back to 13 turns/clicks and 3 on the dampener. No sag! It was stiff as a board! I'm the fourth owner near as I can tell. I'm 200lbs, one of the previous owners must have been much larger and "springed" it accordingly. I backed the springs all the way to soft and ty-wrapped the piston. Took it for a ride on my roughest curviest road. It's much better, but my indicator was a half inch from bottoming out. It handles much better, but still misbehaves a little, but not bad at all. I've got six bikes right now. I'll add a turn to the springs each time this one comes into the riding rotation and see how it feels along the way. Already though, it's a much funner ride. Can't wait for the new rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sounds like you are making good progress.

The Fileshare section of this forum has a lot of good stuff in it. Here is the post with links to get the Ohlins manuals:  http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1427

Many riders have raised the fork tubes to make it steer quicker (aka lowered the front end). The Ohlins fork tubes have rings to mark the height. Mine shows 2 rings above the top triple clamp - but some go to three or more. I think stock is 0 (flush) or 1 ring showing (can't remember). New tires should help a lot - but if someone has dropped the front end, you should also try putting it back to stock.

Thanks Scud. I'll check it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try this thread too, my thoughts on handling, in which my assumptions turned out to be totally wrong:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19158&hl=%2Bthoughts+%2Bhandling

• 2 weeks later...

throw away the steering damper and fit decent tyres, I am running mine on Bridgestone 016 pro, had the 014's before they were excellent and changed the bike, Bridgestone stopped making these so 016's it is.

Setting sag should always be step one.

Steering dampers are a mixed bag. Some prefer the feel with the steering damper, some don't. I fall into the "some don't" category. But whether you like the steering damper or you don't, if it is not working right it can have a serious negative impact on the handling of the bike.

Also, tire pressure can have a noticeable affect on handling. More pressure tends to make the bike lighter and quicker steering, less pressure slows the steering down. You might find that a little less air pressure brings the handling to where you want it if it is too light and quick steering for you. Work in small one or two pound steps.

My set up is the best handling bike I've ever owed.But,..it was re-sprung on both ends by Pro Pilot an authorized  Ohlins shop,by the PO.Crucial to the setup of these,whether you do it yourself or have a pro do it.

http://www.propilotsuspension.com/