Looking for Veglia Borletti gauge spares

sdhow

One of the few places that will still repair/restore our V11 gauges is Palo Alto Speedometer (paspeedo.com), and they have NO spares to do the work. Anyone out there have some donor units to help fix the early V11 speedos and tachs? 

i have a good set, the tacho has just been fully refurbed and the speedo is in very good condition. I was going to sell the dash as complete set as i have new mounting plate and idiot light cover.

I had contacted Palo Alto about getting my gauges fixed and they said they don't fix them anymore. Response in full:

I am sorry but we do not have parts for the 2001 MotoGuzzi instruments.   The manufacturer does not support the product with parts or information.   I am not sure who to refer you to.   

Sorry that we are not able to help you.  

Hartmut C. Mees 
Palo Alto Speedometer, Inc. 
718 Emerson Street 
Palo Alto, CA 94301-2410 

Though if they have gauges to use as a parts source, maybe they can fix them. I might guess it's the same part that fails in each gauge?, a broken gauge might just have the same broken part in it that you need to fix your broken gauge. But...

Maybe you should buy the fully refurbed tacho and working speedo off of Knumbnutz and install them as working units and hold on to your old ones for parts when the new ones fail. And they will fail. They all fail. Mine have failed. Your's have failed. They are crap gauges. They look great. I wish they worked, but maybe the smart move is to look for an alternative? I've ordered Speedhut gauges. They do full custom faces for them, you could probably send them your old gauges and they could copy them. I've asked them to do custom graphics, I stopped short at having them put the Veglia logos on them. I didn't think they deserved to have their name on my motorcycle. But I think these will do the bike justice. They are going to put a yellow hash at 7 and red at 8k revs, like the Veglias. And a life time guarantee. 

61114-94315-105647.png    61114-94315-105646.png

Lots of technical tips, design ideas, and discussion of options on the Speedhut Gauges here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19038&page=1

I think the Veglia were used on many other Moto Guzzis of the same era - so you may be able to find one from a different bike that will give you the parts you want.

• Like 1

Lots of technical tips, design ideas, and discussion of options on the Speedhut Gauges here:

I think the Veglia were used on many other Moto Guzzis of the same era - so you may be able to find one from a different bike that will give you the parts you want.

It was that thread that convinced me to invest in Speedhut gauges. I get it, that it's poetic, or romantic, or some how "right" to keep the bike in original spec, but there's no two ways about it, the Veglia gauges weren't that good. I thought about eBay hunting etc to find a working gauge to replace mine but couldn't get over the idea that it would also probably fail at some point in the (potentially near) future. If it makes you feel better, Veglia has a long history of failing in Fiats and Ferraris as well. 

and ducs for that matter. I fixed my broken speedo by moving needle and face to a unit from a 90's Ducati SS I found on ebay. They are identical inside.

this is what i am putting on mine, simply because i want an all in one electronic gauge. 

I think one of the main reasons the veglias go is because they arent sealed properly. 

This acewell is really very very nice and well built so if you are looking for an alternative this is also quite reasonable at about $250USD

CA085-263_White_AP-1002x1024.jpg

That's a good idea, Tim! Does anyone know which models used similar gauges for donor duty?

I spoke to Hartmut and he said he can repair the gauges if he has spare parts.

I heard of him, but he's on the other coast and significantly more than Palo Alto. Wasn't impressed with the website and didn't you say he didn't even freshen up the faded pointer? Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling. Palo Alto Speedo does a lot of high end work on VDOs, Smiths and Veglias for Porsches, Astons, Ferraris and the like.

Scored a donor unit off of fleabay for under $40, so we'll see what they can do with it.