Clutch not disengaging

Hoggbert

Hi

Two years ago my gearbox decided to stop working so I got the bike down to the nearest workshop, where they changed something that broke, i can't remember what was now (a small cylindrical thingy with some cam-like surface on the top) and at the same time they changed the clutchplates. 

Workshop is something like 9 hours driving/riding away and after i rode it up again from the workshop (it worked seemingly okay on the ride up) i parked it in the garage and not used it since.

However a mate has shown interest in it so i took it out today to let him have a spin, however the clutch doesnt seem to disengage at all.

I can change gears a bit forcefully (at least to 1st and 2nd) but when i hold the lever in it's obvious that the bike is in gear and it doesnt roll as it should.

Now is there some simple tricks i can look at a tweak myself or do you have to pull the engine/gearbox down and have a look inside?

Any input will be appreciated

If it is a V11 it should have a hydraulic clutch. That requires the hydraulic system to be free of air the same as the hydraulic brake system. If you squeeze the clutch lever and the clutch does not fully disengage I would first check the fluid in the clutch reservoir, then bleed the clutch. If still no good, work from there.

I hope you didn't throw a lot of money having people change out the clutch when what you really had was a bad clutch master cylinder.

A worn clutch will not make the clutch fail to disengage, it would fail to engage. Your issue is with the hydraulic system that disengages the clutch. The issue is not likely inside the gearbox. The one part of the system is the clutch slave cylinder which is on the back of the gearbox.

Good luck, it sounds like the bike is pissed off at sitting for two years.

yeah, i did check the fluid reservoir and it seemed fine in terms of fluid level.

However after making the first post and now this post, it magically cured itself after a select curses and threats to the bike, i guess maybe the newish plates was sticking a bit after sitting still for a long time.

The clutchplates got changed since the workshop already had it open, it was a metal ring of sorts that had shattered in the gearbox/clutch somewhere that was the original cause of sending it to the workshop.

Either way, thanks for your input, even though it seems i was a bit quick on the trigger to make a post here :)

I hope that cured your problem. The latest problem could still be air in the hydraulic line. Using the bike may have "burped" an air bubble up, letting the system work. If you have a recurrence, air could be the culprit.

Not to make you worry but I recently bought a v11 that appeared to have been sitting around quite a while due to the cracking in the tyres. It had the exact same symptoms you have just described where the clutch would not fully disengage I was also of the belief that a worn clutch would cause it to fail to engage not fail to disengage. However after biting the bullet and pulling the gearbox yesterday I found that one of the clutch faces had completely broken apart and sheared off. My theory at this point is that the clutch face somehow binds itself to the metal surface when left for long periods of time. But this is still a theory. I hope you don"t have to pull the gearbox to fix the problem But if you do the crabbing method works a treat. Good luck