Anybody got pics of the evap plumbing?

jchayes

According to my bible/Moto Guzzi shop manual, this bike originally had a pile of spaghetti and two meatballs on it somewhere - no mention of a can. Not that it matters. I don't know, those parts and a bunch of other things are off in a ditch somewhere, may they rest in peace. Sounds like no one is impressed by Guzzi's work in this area so I'll plumb my own. Seriously, how difficult can it be? I have a good example, the vapor recovery system on my V7 Racer is almost invisible - no "box hanging off some random exhaust bracket." Yuck...

The info about fuel vapor loss came from an article about simple, easy methods of improving your car's fuel economy, probably in Popular Mechanics magazine back in the late '60s or '70s. The actual details came from Dr. John Clarke at Southwest Research Institute.

Electric fuel pumps are cooled and lubricated by fuel. The internal ones circulate the fuel in the tank. The external ones circulate fuel through themselves and out to the loop that feeds the EFI. Most car manufacturers caution owners to not run the tank dry - the pump can be damaged by heat if it doesn't have enough fuel to cool itself. Most of the designs for EFI systems run the pump constantly, cooled by the fuel passing through it, circulating fuel through the loop that feeds the injectors/rail with the pressure maintained constant by the regulator. Start/stop pumps used with carburetors are not able to maintain the constant pressure EFI needs. Constant-run pumps need to be cooled and they use fuel to do it. Not necessarily a bad thing since warm fuel vaporizes easier.

Scud, you're not kidding, they are wonderful bikes and my new old one is shaping up nicely! There's a real gem hidden under all that crud.