*Polished wrenches for polished things*

I've long (half) joked that any photo posted of a Guzzi in a shop has a hammer in it somewhere. :grin:

I know that my Sport has known most of my hammers over its time. :luigi:

Would it be some good fun to share some images of the tools we enjoy and that our Guzzis rely upon?

IMG_0096.JPG_1.jpeg

• Like 1

OK, I'll play. Here are the hammers that would be allowed to make Guzzi contact. Along with some hammer accoutrements: a very useful Pit Posse wheel bearing removal tool (bought on recommendation of GStallons) and a set of long drifts that I bought recently to get the races out of the steering head of my BMW.

IMG_5006.jpg

5 drifts in various diameters for about $8.00 at Harbor Freight.

That's a rawhide mallet. Typically used with wood chisels, but I like the feel of it for lots of other things. It's a good axle-tapper.

Docc ... caution - that one is for those who dare to question a) little ball-peen's existence and B) his/her right to live in the tool chest with the other hammers.

That's funny . . . my littl'st ball-peen has to stay in a toolbox well away from the other *proper hammers!* :blush:

Well, I wish there was an interesting story - like my grandfather was a shipbuilder in Helsinki and he had it with him when he was captured by Russian soldiers... used it in his daring escape through Europe, where he briefly worked at the Moto Guzzi factory to earn enough money to buy a boat ticket to America... then gave it to me at his death along with instructions to pass it to my heirs...

But, the truth is that I either I bought it at a garage sale, or it was in the clutter of a garage/shed of a house I rented in college days (can't recall which). Either way, it's been with me for about 30 years now. It has "influenced" a lot of movement on various cars and motorcycles. On rare occasions it still gets to make contact with wood chisels.

Some tools have histories... some are just tools.

• Like 2

Garage sales a great place to find fine tools I picked up an old egg-beater drill a few years back perfect for my Wife to use around the house. The guy told me it belonged to his Dad, why would you sell something like that?

Sent from my shoe phone!

Interesting. Looking over my box of Gedore Vanadium hand tools, c.1960, that came to me from my father and brother, it occurred to me:

So many of my tools

put my mind to

All of the people

that have ever been at my aid.

IMG_0111.jpg

• Thanks 1

It was originally sourced for a U.S. Army ordinance motor pool in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.  I've used it since the 70s for everything metric including a couple Folksvaagens, a Merkur XR4Ti (Ford Sierra), my Hondas  and, of course, the V11 Sport. I was even able to source a replacement 6mm open end that I had mistreated and broken.

The Hammerite blue 500 gram machinist's hammer in the first picture is from this set. I had refinished the hammer and planned to refinish the entire box, but now I think I should leave it alone (?)