*Polished wrenches for polished things*

• 3 months later...

With my most recent struggle with wheel bearing failures and concern for "stacked tolerances", I felt it is time to get a micrometer set as the old dial caliper may just not be enough. Searching Grainger for Mitutoyo seemed a good approach. Until the $2500US set popped up! Uh . . . I'd have to part out the Sport! :huh:

So, what is the collective wisdom on obtaining decent micrometers for things like wheel bearings and spacers for the V11? :huh2:

15 minutes ago, andy york said:

unless you just won the lottery ....you don't need them.:lol:

you get my email?

I thought about just getting whatever HarborFreight has for easy money. It's just that the calipers I have don't "reach around" to take measurements as a micrometer would.

I'll ping you email connections, Andy. thanks!!!

Docc.. as a machinist, I'm a tool whore. Micrometers are really nice *if you have a need for them.* Certainly 01s,1-2s and 2-3s are useful with bikes. FWIW, BIL Harley Bob bought a set of 0-12" for cheap. They are perfectly adequate. I think :huh2: they were from Poland. I have a set of 3-4s from Poland that are very nice. The rest of mine are Lufkin and Starrett, but only go from 0-6. For big stuff, I have a set of 24" calipers.

The Mitutoyos you are looking at are *very* good Japanese tools, almost as good as the antique American stuff. They'll last a lifetime, too.. but are really too good for occasional use, IMHO.

3 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Docc.. as a machinist, I'm a tool whore. Micrometers are really nice *if you have a need for them.* Certainly 01s,1-2s and 2-3s are useful with bikes. FWIW, BIL Harley Bob bought a set of 0-12" for cheap. They are perfectly adequate. I think :huh2: they were from Poland. I have a set of 3-4s from Poland that are very nice. The rest of mine are Lufkin and Starrett, but only go from 0-6. For big stuff, I have a set of 24" calipers.

The Mitutoyos you are looking at are *very* good Japanese tools, almost as good as the antique American stuff. They'll last a lifetime, too.. but are really too good for occasional use, IMHO.

Yeah, I am just only needing something "occasionally." 

"01s, 1-2s, 2-3s", then . . . Looking for a proper source . . .

Most of my stuff is Mitutoyo including a 6"" dial vernier I've has for 45 years and its still going strong. I upgraded to a digital Metric Mitutoyo about 2 years ago.

If I were you docc I'd buy a decent quality 6" digital vernier caliper and you can measure OD,ID and depth. Should be able to get one for around $75US brand new at a guess.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

I use calipers a lot, but they’re awkward for certain things like a brake rotor with a ridge or trying to measure the width of the inner race on my sketchy wheel bearings .

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 5:41 AM, docc said:

I use calipers a lot, but they’re awkward for certain things like a brake rotor with a ridge or trying to measure the width of the inner race on my sketchy wheel bearings .

Brake rotor ridge is no problem docc, just use the calipers in enough of a radial position to avoid the ridges. The other thing you need is a set of telescoping gauges for measuring hole ID's. Use in concert with your calipers. They are as cheap as chips, maybe $30US.

Ciao

3 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Brake rotor ridge is no problem docc, just use the calipers in enough of a radial position to avoid the ridges. The other thing you need is a set of telescoping gauges for measuring hole ID's. Use in concert with your calipers. They are as cheap as chips, maybe $30US.

Ciao

Just what do "telescoping gauges" look like? Never know when I might get the opportunity to "measure hole ID's" . . . 

I just wanna be ready if the circumstance pops up . . . ^_^

1 hour ago, docc said:

Just what do "telescoping gauges" look like? Never know when I might get the opportunity to "measure hole ID's" . . . 

I just wanna be ready if the circumstance pops up . . . ^_^

Like this docc. You compress the ends and lock them via a knurled section on the end of the handle then insert them down the bore or hole and unlock them. You then feel them around until they are at the largest dia point and lock again. Remove and measure with your Mike or vernia calipers.

Very cheap, this set is $36.95AU on ebay.

Ciao 

6PC TELESCOPING GAUGES SET 8-150mm MICROMETER MEASUREMENT BORE TELESCOPIC KIT

• Thanks 1