*Polished wrenches for polished things*

Working with good tools , ones with history or character give the user a sense of empowerment , character , humility and a host of other feelings that new tools cannot.

• Like 2

I like my old, comfortable tools. But I also like it when a job requires the purchase of a new tool (so long as it's not crazy-expensive) and I get to use it for the first time. Today I enjoyed the Clutch Spring Compressor from MG Cycle - worked great and it was much less expensive than the Moto Guzzi tool.

v11com+misc+photos+posted%2FLeMans+Proje

And I used all three stands/lifts at the same time - front wheel chock, swingarm lift, and the platform jack. I really like the platform jack. I got it recently and I wonder now how I managed without it. It made engine removal and installation about as easy as it can get.

[url=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/timscudder/media/v11com%20misc%20photos%20posted/LeMans%20Projectv11com+misc+photos+posted%2FLeMans+Proje

• 2 months later...

"platform jack" =  check, gotta get one! Certainly before the next big refit! :thumbsup:

I was recently observed Knolling tools while fettling a V11 with a variety of dental picks, tissue probes, scalpel, hemostats, jeweler's files, and one very fine French medical graduated cylinder. Sure, it's not *rocket surgery*

(or is it? :nerd::luigi: ) . . .

gallery_328_223_1205405.jpg

On 6/18/2016 at 4:13 PM, docc said:

Interesting. Looking over my box of Gedore Vanadium hand tools, c.1960, that came to me from my father and brother, it occurred to me:

So many of my tools

put my mind to

All of the people

that have ever been at my aid.

IMG_0111.jpg

Nice.

Hammers? I gots em. Lots of em. You don't build metal airplanes without hammers.  :grin:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I like having a thread checker available. Here, for example is an M12 x 1.75 pitch stud and nut. FWIW - the 12 mm threaded nut takes an 18mm wrench - torque specs are based on thread size. I also have an SAE version of this tool.

Someday, I will pay my children to use this tool and sort all my spare nuts and bolts into containers, based on size and pitch. 

IMG_5367.jpg

• Like 1

I like having a thread checker available. Here, for example is an M12 x 1.75 pitch stud and nut. FWIW - the 12 mm threaded nut takes an 18mm wrench - torque specs are based on thread size. I also have an SAE version of this tool.

Someday, I will pay my children to use this tool and sort all my spare nuts and bolts into containers, based on size and pitch. 

attachicon.gifIMG_5367.jpg

That project will last for about 6 hours, or until terminal boredom sets in. Don't ask me how I know.. :oldgit:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

First identify the tools you do want to use, check their airflow requirements, and then you can decide. I have an air-powered die-grinder that I like - it's a small tool, but requires a fair amount of airflow (CFM - Cubic Feet per Minute) for continuous operation.

I have a  Sears/Craftsman, pretty sure its a 2-1/2HP, 20gal tank that I paid around $200.00 for umpteen years ago. Sorry I cant provide exact HP rating and tank size as we are still in Georgia.  But it is big enough that I use my 1/2" impact gun to remove lug nuts on the cars, or run my cutters and polishers. You might check local pawn shops for a used one in good condition, or your local Lowes/Home Depot.    Or................... Dear Santa......all I want for Christmas.........

One aspect of air compressors I learned too late is that the oil-less units (which are cheaper and require less maintenance?), are REALLY noisy.

I mostly use mine to air up the ridiculous number of pneumatic tires I've come to own, keep my portable air tank topped up, and occasionally use the compressed air to blow off or dry parts. Seems air tools are for working fast and are not for "polished things . . ."  ;) 

Under a few hundred (us$) probably just 110.

What's the advantage of air tools? I've never had access to any, pardon my nativity.

Air tools are generally less expensive and smaller than the same electric tool. That's because there is no motor.  I have more compressor than I need. I bought it a long time ago when I thought I was going to use an impact wrench frequently. Here's what I end up actually using the compressor for, in order of frequency:

• Putting air in my tires (including that lovely POP when the bead of a new tire seats on the rim)
  • Blowing water out of recesses after washing my motorcycles to prevent corrosion. You'd be surprised how much water comes out of places like footpeg brackets, sidestand, areas around spark plugs, screw heads, etc.
  • Putting air in my neighbors' tires
  • Blowing dust off stuff, such as post-sanding, pre-painting
  • Blowing up balls, toys, and bicycle tires
  • Die-grinder - I really like this on the rare occasions that I use it
  • Brad nailer - I used to use this a lot, but I'm done with home-improvement projects for a while. 
  • Impact wrench - even though I have it I still mostly use hand tools for lug nuts.

I have an air ratchet, but I don't use it on the motorcycles. I just prefer to take my time and use hand tools. If you want to take something apart in a hurry, air tools are great. I learned this when I worked as an auto dismantler in high school.

I would suggest starting small and used. Then if you want a bigger compressor, you can probably sell the used one for close to the same price and upgrade.

I think an air compressor would look good next to baby Jesus in the nativity. (sorry, couldn't resist)  :whistle:

I belive the raw hide mallet in Scud's kit is actually a stonecutters mallet. While it will persuade any number of things, it is a little heavier than a mallet typically used in wood working.

• Like 1

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm a tool junky.. but.. for occasional use, even using an air grinder, etc. this little booger is hard to beat. Catch it on "sale" for about 140 bux. 

I know.. I know.. I always say to buy the best tools you can afford, but I have one of these in the Guzzi Garage ™ and it does a fine job. Cast iron cylinder. Wheels to wherever you need it so you don't need to carry an air pig around.

image_24032.jpg