For better or for worse, the uk voted out of the eu.

I think we all expected some backlash of sorts but my word..... How the jingoistic racists have crawled into the sunlight.

Racism: A line of thinking long since identified as morally repugnant, ignorant, fatuous, counter-productive and downright ugly.

Yet, like other residual crap dogging us as a species and preventing us from fully embracing a wiser future, it remains entrenched in the hearts of our lesser members.

I read today that swastikas have been grafittied onto bus shelters in my local area.

A belgian couple I know: Beautiful, kind, intellectual people, have been on the receiving end of various bigoted nonsense from gobshites both face-to-face and on social media.

There was footage of a man claiming he voted 'out'- of the eu remember- because he didn't want any more 'african muslims' coming into the country...

I was saddened by the result of the referendum, but feel somewhat desolate upon hearing of the above happening.

• Like 3

Stew -

Conventional wisdom, and this forum's guidelines, are "Don't discuss religion and politics."

But that sure is a historic event, it affects members, and it has the potential to harm more people and do more economic damage than any wildfire (2 of which burned in my area last week). I'm sorry about the effects of this on you, and I do think the country and the EU will figure out how to adjust in due time. Perhaps this action will spur some needed, although uncomfortable, changes in the UK and in the EU. Like we've learned about wildfires:  that's actually the way many of our forests rejuvenate themselves.

I think that when people feel frightened or threatened that they seek protection by banding together with others who are similar. This tribalistic trait has served the species well to get us this far, but we've created a complex, interdependent, global society that requires us to think on a much broader scale and far further into the future about the implications of our actions.

Anyway - I feel a bit like I am "skirting the rules" of the forum by engaging in this conversation, and I'd be happy to continue via PM or e-mail. I see topics like this over on WildGuzzi sometimes. Some of them lend credence to the "Wild" part of the forum name. Then members get mad at each other and somebody leaves or gets kicked out of the forum - and then we all lose that person's passion and experience with motorcycles (which is the basis of our little "tribe").

Go for a ride.   :race:

• Like 2

Anyway - I feel a bit like I am "skirting the rules" of the forum by engaging in this conversation, and I'd be happy to continue via PM or e-mail. I see topics like this over on WildGuzzi sometimes. Some of them lend credence to the "Wild" part of the forum name. Then members get mad at each other and somebody leaves or gets kicked out of the forum - and then we all lose that person's passion and experience with motorcycles (which is the basis of our little "tribe").

Go for a ride.   :race:

That's well said. It's not that these issues that affect our lives, our children's children, and the places we live aren't important. It's more that I would be disappointed if someone couldn't let me help  them with their V11 because we disagree on other (admittedly important) matters.

It's All About That (V11) . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnZ1NQm2uk

• Like 4

Quote- 'Conventional wisdom, and this forum's guidelines, are "Don't discuss religion and politics."'

I hear you Scudders, but i wasn't making any religious, nor political, assertions.

Just don't like racists.

Any racists on this forum: I don't like you neither.

I agree with the rest of your post whole-heartedly.

Docc- sweet music numbs the pain good buddy.

Phil- Heh!

• Like 2

Sincere apologies to All for bringing an unwelcome slice of the Real World into this superb forum.

I shall henceforth stick to barked knuckles + confounding electrical issues!

Stew, I don't think any apologies are needed.

There are a lot of world issues we could discuss among one another . After all, it's why Jaap created this sub-forum in the first place. I'm not sure where he stands on it now, but Scud's observation that these discussions could introduce difficulties that otherwise interfere with our main purposes (everything V11, many things Guzzi, lots of things motorcycling, and various other "recreational" topics from music to cars to travel to what-have-you.

I can't speak for Jaap, and I'm not taking any offense by your posts. I respect your views.

"Like we've learned about wildfires:  that's actually the way many of our forests rejuvenate themselves."

good analogy.. If trump burns down the world will it rejuvenate a less racist world?  I hope it doesn't come to that.. but I'm fully with you about any racists here, I don't like you neither!

This current crop of fellows, "we few-we lucky few", I could stand with, travel with, and converse freely. We may not all agree on all matters, but I am promised to walk away all the better for the tuition. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Stew, I have old time friends (friends from years gone by) that are in the UK. They are native born, classic traditional British people. They are well educated, smart, and down right nice people. I have not talked to them in a while, and thought that maybe I should reach out to them at this time. Then I thought "What if they are on the side of the racists?" and decided to let it go. It is odd how someone who can seem so normal can suddenly turn into a giant ass when they suddenly start spewing racist garbage.

Put me in the "I hate racists" camp.

I was also disgusted by the people who are saying they have been tricked into voting to leave with false promises. Those pie in the sky promises were so clearly never going to happen, you really had to want to believe in them to believe them. The only thing worse then people making really bad decisions is when they won't then own up on their bad decision.

I hope this does not go as badly for the UK as it looks like it will. Good luck. And wish us luck while you are at it.

• Like 2

Conventional wisdom, and this forum's guidelines, are "Don't discuss religion and politics."

Correction:  I can't find any specific restrictions about discussion topics on this site. This forum seems self-regulating for the most part (though older posts do suggest that there were some more tumultuous times in past).

I must have been thinking of the rule #2 from WildGuzzi:

1. No un-justified personal or dealer attacks. 2. Keep the content Guzzi related. No room for Politics or Religion debates here. 3. There is no room for "raunchy" posts with adult or mature content. This includes strategically covered nudity, sheer or see-through clothing, lewd or provocative poses, close-ups of breasts, buttocks, or crotches. 4. Posting of for sale items allowed only in the classified section. Failure to adhere to these simple, common courtesy, common sense rules will result in your being banned to ever post on the Moto Guzzi Discussion site again. That being said, Enjoy the Guzzi talk.

#3 is well-written. For examples of all offenses, see:  Gratuitous pics of girls + Guzzis   :whistle:

The only thing worse then people making really bad decisions is when they won't then own up on their bad decision.

Agreed. And now some who called for the exit don't want to be responsible for leading the country after the vote.

Correction:  I can't find any specific restrictions about discussion topics on this site. This forum seems self-regulating for the most part (though older posts do suggest that there were some more tumultuous times in past).

I must have been thinking of the rule #2 from WildGuzzi:

1. No un-justified personal or dealer attacks. 2. Keep the content Guzzi related. No room for Politics or Religion debates here. 3. There is no room for "raunchy" posts with adult or mature content. This includes strategically covered nudity, sheer or see-through clothing, lewd or provocative poses, close-ups of breasts, buttocks, or crotches. 4. Posting of for sale items allowed only in the classified section. Failure to adhere to these simple, common courtesy, common sense rules will result in your being banned to ever post on the Moto Guzzi Discussion site again. That being said, Enjoy the Guzzi talk.

#3 is well-written. For examples of all offenses, see:  Gratuitous pics of girls + Guzzis   :whistle:

The only thing worse then people making really bad decisions is when they won't then own up on their bad decision.

Agreed. And now some who called for the exit don't want to be responsible for leading the country after the vote.

Personally, I think most of the people leading the "Brexit" campaign were not really expecting to win. I think most of them were just doing it to try to gain more political power, they expected to lose. I think they were just using it as a soapbox to stand on in an attempt to make a name for themselves, as well as letting them blame their the other side and remaining in the EU for all of the countries ills.

As someone said, the EU has become the whipping post in the UK for everyone who doesn't like the new global world. The EU didn't cause the new global world, and leaving the EU won't undo the new global world. Times change, but some people hate that.