RAM Clutch 2016 Edition

Scud

• 2 weeks later...

I asked this last year. Seems logical. The single plate clutch is a completely different unit. You have 3 choices as far as I'm aware. 1. replace flywheel with a new oem aluminum. (not a good choice). 2. replace clutch and flywheel with a dual plate and steel flywheel. 3. find and replace with a RAM low inertia single plate unit. (has steel flywheel). RAM clutches are not easy to find. I "think" the 5 speed RAM will work with your clutch gear. Read all the threads on here regarding this problem. Start with this one: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19510  Keep us posted on progress.

• 3 weeks later...

I think mechanics generally go by estimating guides provided by the factory. Ask him to explain why it takes 12 hours.

For comparison, I think I could do a complete clutch in 12 hours and I tend to go slow and read the manual while I do the work. It is a big job (you've got to remove either the engine or the transmission), but I think someone who's done it a few times could go faster. I doubt it can be done in less than 8 hours though.

You are asking him to install an aftermarket part of unknown (to him probably) provenance.  I have my engine pulled right now and have been looking at the RAM clutch in my garage.  I can imagine there are enough unknowns that I would budget pulling the entire thing twice just in case it didn't shift properly.  Remember once he delivers it to you, you will expect it to be perfect.  He has to factor in risk.  I think 12 is reasonable.

On a related note, the transmission input gear installed on my Ballabio has identical tooth count and form as the new input gear that came with my RAM clutch kit.  I didn't expect that.  Strangely though, I could not fit the new RAM assembly onto my old clutch and it fits into the new clutch but I wasn't able to get it to fit onto the transmission input (no engine, just dry fit).  I have to try harder.

• 1 month later...

FWIW - I got my engine out and flywheel removed in about 4 hours. It takes longer to re-assemble, so I agree that 12 hours is a reasonable estimate.

Here are the three clutch options:

3 clutches.jpg

Used OEM from Scura with Aluminum Flywheel:  9lb. 13.7 oz

New RAM unit with Steel Flywheel: 10lb. 10.6oz

Used OEM twin-plate: 12lb. 1.2oz

It's gonna be a while till I get the RAM installed - doing lots of other stuff at the same time. However, I test-fit the RAM on the Scura transmission hub. It fits the same as the original clutch.

• Like 2

That's interesting...only about a 10% weight savings going from aluminum to steel...will be interesting to hear your feedback after the install if you notice it being more sluggish than before on pickup.

By the way, one question for other Scura owners...do you notice when the bike is idling in neutral, is it more rattley than when you pull in the clutch, also in neutral?

Thanks...waiting anxiously for the farkles to arrive!

Here are the three clutch options

Very interesting... I would very much like to see how different are the internals... and how does the fixing point of the original fly wheel looks like...

That's interesting...only about a 10% weight savings going from aluminum to steel...will be interesting to hear your feedback after the install if you notice it being more sluggish than before on pickup.

By the way, one question for other Scura owners...do you notice when the bike is idling in neutral, is it more rattley than when you pull in the clutch, also in neutral?

Overall weight of the flywheel is only one factor in its effect. More importantly is where on the assembly is the weight distributed. Its possible to have a heavier flywheel assembly that has less effect than a lighter one depending on how far from the center the weight is concentrated.

Ciao 

Here's the RAM on the left and the original single-plate on the right. You can see how the steel flywheel's mass is more centralized, because it has three arms, rather than being a disc. This is true for the friction plate too (as you can see in my earlier post).

IMG_5421.jpg

One significant difference between the RAM and original - the RAM comes pre-centered and can be installed like that (and I do not need to take it apart). The original's friction plate covers the flywheel bolts, so the clutch must be disassembled for installation or removal. The RAM install (at least on a bike that originally had a single-plate clutch) should be nothing more than 6 bolts.

FWIW - the original aluminum flywheel did 12,000 miles in my Scura and shows no sign of cracking. Maybe it will become collectible one day...  :grin:

Overall weight of the flywheel is only one factor in its effect. More importantly is where on the assembly is the weight distributed. Its possible to have a heavier flywheel assembly that has less effect than a lighter one depending on how far from the center the weight is concentrated.

Ciao 

Makes sense indeed...good point!  Thanks.

• 1 month later...

OK first, my apologies if this is clear somewhere else in the forum that I didn't find.  Newbie here.

And yes, you'all scared me about my new to me V11 Scura clutch.

So, apparently, the RAM clutches are not for sale any more ?

Can someone clarify what "OEM dual plate" refers to ?  Is it the stock clutch from another V11 model? 

I will usually side with reliability over performance, so the weight isn't an issue for me.

Oem dual plate is the clutch fitted to v11s that don't have the alloy flywheel. There are 2 friction plates. If you switch to this clutch you need the flywheel and pressure plate too, both of which are expensive new. I switched to this option after sourcing some second hand parts.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk