RAM Clutch 2016 Edition

Scud

for those of us living *outside the darkness* :ph34r: , is the 5sp RAM unit a direct swap for the twin-plate 6speeder?

I think :!:  you could install the 5 speed RAM kit, but you would need to also find a transmission input gear that was removed from a Scura or Tenni. I imagine :!:  some of those are available from Scura owners who went to twin-plate. Speculation...  :huh2:  and mystery..  :ninja: and...   :mg:

Only one way to know for sure:   :luigi:

When the time comes, I suppose I'll look into a factory replacement. It's the flywheel that should be really interesting to see - or what's left of it! :o

I am sure I am guilty of holding the clutch in at stops for 16 1/2 years. :blush:

Having never done a guzzi or dry clutch for that matter. If you're happy with your clutch/flywheel twin plate setup, don't you just have to replace friction plates and possibly springs?

Sorry if I'm off topic...

Those are the most obvious wear parts and would be a "basic" clutch replacement (but intermediate plates are cheap and worth tossing in at the same time). However, the following parts also wear: flywheel teeth, Transmission input gear teeth, pressure plate, intermediate plate, and starter ring (there is a friction surface on it). If you have to replace everything it's much more expensive than the RAM unit - and the RAM steel flywheel will "never" wear out (exploding aluminum ones excluded).

• Like 1

for those of us living *outside the darkness* :ph34r: , is the 5sp RAM unit a direct swap for the twin-plate 6speeder?

I think :!:  you could install the 5 speed RAM kit, but you would need to also find a transmission input gear that was removed from a Scura or Tenni. I imagine :!:  some of those are available from Scura owners who went to twin-plate. Speculation...  :huh2:  and mystery..  :ninja: and...   :mg:

Only one way to know for sure:   :luigi:

one of these? 

this has been on ebay for several months. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Moto-Guzzi-V11-Sport-Clutch-Gear-for-single-plate-clutch-GU01211640-/272216373516

That's the one. Theoretically, that, plus a 5-speed RAM kit, gets you a 6-speed RAM kit.

One last Q (maybe).  If I wanted to look up part numbers for a bike in the same generation and motor as my '02 Scura, but with a 5 speed transmission, what model should I look for?

I'm not sure how to advise you there. I think the 6 speed was unique to the V11 series. You should check out some online parts diagrams or scroll through MG Cycles' pictures of all clutch parts available - they show a flywheel that fits V11s and some of the newer CARC bikes (Griso/Norge). Try WildGuzzi too - there are lots of guys who know the full Guzzi line over there.

What is the difference in the splines between the 5 & 6 speed clutches of the V11 ?

I think the splines for the clutch to transmission hub are the same for the 5 and 6 speed. The clutch is sort of agnostic with regards to what transmission is behind it. The difference, as I understand it (and I have never been into a 5-speed), is only in how the clutch gear attaches to the primary (input) shafts of the transmissions. If the 5 and 6 speed transmissions have different primary shafts, they need different hubs that mate to the same type of splines in the clutches.

I got the standard clutch alignment tool from MG Cycle. They also sell a starter-ring holder.  Neither are the official Moto Guzzi tools, but they work well - and I think there was quite a savings compared to the factory tools.

• 7 months later...

Andy, it looks like Photobucket is holding your photos hostage :angry:

The aluminum flywheel is an annoying dilemma. There's no guarantee it will fail. I don't doubt some will last forever. The lack of confidence finally got to me. New Ram clutch installed this month. 13,500mi. No signs of doom on my flywheel, but I wasn't terribly impressed with the casting.

• Like 2

I recently did the swap as well. Zero indications that the aluminum flywheel was about to fail. But I was having shifting issues which I'm nearly certain was due to clutch drag. FWIW, after swapping out the gear selector springs, new gear box oil, bleeding the clutch lever, and putting in the RAM clutch replacement, the bike has never shifted better or smoother. Worth it for that, and peace of mind that I was no longer sitting on a time bomb. 

• Like 1