Scura Clutch & Flywheel Register

4corsa

Mine was changed put at around 21k. But if I heard correctly the prior owner would take it to the track once in a while and did ride it pretty hard.

Im sure if youre not riding it like you stole it these flywheels will last. The way I ride my Scura Im hoping another 60k... ;-)

• Like 1

Mine was changed put at around 21k. But if I heard correctly the prior owner would take it to the track once in a while and did ride it pretty hard.

Im sure if youre not riding it like you stole it these flywheels will last. The way I ride my Scura Im hoping another 60k... ;-)

I'm not so sure. I talked to a guy at the Wisconsin rally that said he was on flywheel number 3. The most he'd ever gotten out of one was 16K miles. 

I'm not so sure. I talked to a guy at the Wisconsin rally that said he was on flywheel number 3. The most he'd ever gotten out of one was 16K miles. 

"Steel is real?" :o

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/6/2019 at 1:03 PM, Sbuonline said:

Hi Craig, sorry for the double whammy...could you post here the link to the 5 speed RAM you have installed and if you had any adjustment made?

Sorry, been away from here for a long time. Still have the bike. Still works great. As noted from the other response (also a long time ago) (but thought all the information should be in the same place) I had to get the clutch push rod machined down at the clutch end. I had them make it symmetrical; both ends have matching diameter and depth steps in them, and it worked perfectly. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Recently purchased #49 of 300 2001 Rosso Mandello from a member here. 24K on the bike. He mentioned that the materials were different in those single plate clutch's. Crossing my fingers because that is one of the items we discussed before purchase and it looks like he researched it. He bought the bike from his neighbor, between the 2 of them they didn't put many miles on her. The original owner took meticulous notes on his maintenance and parts replacement over the 19 years he owned it. Never a mention of the clutch. Only mention of blowing the 30 amp fuse a few times and replacing the regulator and adding an extra ground wire from the regulator to the battery     

On 4/4/2021 at 12:44 AM, bsanorton said:

Recently purchased #49 of 300 2001 Rosso Mandello from a member here. 24K on the bike. He mentioned that the materials were different in those single plate clutch's. Crossing my fingers because that is one of the items we discussed before purchase and it looks like he researched it. He bought the bike from his neighbor, between the 2 of them they didn't put many miles on her. The original owner took meticulous notes on his maintenance and parts replacement over the 19 years he owned it. Never a mention of the clutch. Only mention of blowing the 30 amp fuse a few times and replacing the regulator and adding an extra ground wire from the regulator to the battery     

Someone posted images here a little while ago of the 2 clutch types viewed through the timing hole in the crankcases so you can see the differences. I have engines with both so could probably provide images if the others can't be located.

Ciao

42 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Someone posted images here a little while ago of the 2 clutch types viewed through the timing hole in the crankcases so you can see the differences. I have engines with both so could probably provide images if the others can't be located.

Ciao

Its got an aluminum flywheel..I saw it through the hole and checked it with a magnet..They weren't " 2 totally different materials"..the articles he is referring to were regarding different  quality "Venders" and manufacturing process's very early  on, just on the Mandello's.-_-

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 7:17 PM, KINDOY2 said:

Its got an aluminum flywheel..I saw it through the hole and checked it with a magnet..They weren't " 2 totally different materials"..the articles he is referring to were regarding different  quality "Venders" and manufacturing process's very early  on, just on the Mandello's.-_-

Oh so the quality of the 'materials' weren't different, just the quality of manufacturing? Maybe I miss understood. Now because my memory is not what it used to be did you mention something about them 1st used for racing applications? 

4 minutes ago, bsanorton said:

Oh so the quality of the 'materials' weren't different, just the quality of manufacturing? Maybe I miss understood. Now because my memory is not what it used to be did you mention something about them 1st used for racing applications? 

the standard model V11 clutch assembly on most models is a dual plate clutch with a steel flywheel.

the factory Guzzi V11 "lightened" clutch assy on special models is a single plate clutch with an aluminum flywheel. The problem is with the alm flywheel. It isn't strong enough to handle stress. It can (and should) be replaced with the standard dual plate/steel assembly or an aftermarket lightened steel assembly.

• Like 2