Scura Clutch & Flywheel Register

4corsa

3 hours ago, footgoose said:

the standard model V11 clutch assembly on most models is a dual plate clutch with a steel flywheel.

the factory Guzzi V11 "lightened" clutch assy on special models is a single plate clutch with an aluminum flywheel. The problem is with the alm flywheel. It isn't strong enough to handle stress. It can (and should) be replaced with the standard dual plate/steel assembly or an aftermarket lightened steel assembly.

Or a RAM unit.

Ciao

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 12:57 PM, footgoose said:

the standard model V11 clutch assembly on most models is a dual plate clutch with a steel flywheel.

the factory Guzzi V11 "lightened" clutch assy on special models is a single plate clutch with an aluminum flywheel. The problem is with the alm flywheel. It isn't strong enough to handle stress. It can (and should) be replaced with the standard dual plate/steel assembly or an aftermarket lightened steel assembly.

Are you saying I should be looking for a complete setup with the steel flywheel and dual plate? Ouch! I'm not sure I'm confident in replacing it myself. What would a shop cost? Someone mentioned a used steel one on ebay, is this something I should buy to keep when I'm ready to install or have installed? 

That's a personal choice imo. Some on the forum still run the alm flywheel, and some have replaced. I ran mine 13000 mi before I replaced it. It had no problems... just the one in my head. I got tired of the worry. I finally bit the bullet and did it myself. I am not a tech. I am a hobbyist mechanic. My greatest encouragement to do the job was this forum support and the realization that many tech's were probably more likely to f it up than I was. If I had had a tech I trusted I would have paid to have it done. My job turned out fine. I read all the threads, consulted a few members when I got stumped, and got to fix the nasty engine paint at the same time.

I do know a shop now that I trust for something I can't handle, 100 mi. away in Cincinnati. Whatever you decide, find some Guzzi friends nearby.:mg:

• Like 3