Help with heads

Scud

Czakky - did you then use gaskets when you re-assembled?

Here's a close-up. New gasket hanging on the stud. Does anybody think there could be a gasket in the head? I feel like I've been trying to remove something that doesn't exist.

IMG_5076.jpg

No I never did add a gasket...

do I need to re-torque the heads after a heat/cool cycle or a break-in period? I didn't see anything in the manual about it.

Guzziology 4-17 says:

1 retorque after letting the gaskets settle overnight.

2 set the valve clearances .002" more than normal.

3 run bike through half a dozen heat/cool cycles (up to temp, then back to cold).

4 retorque heads.

5 reset valves to normal.

6 ride like the wind.

Actually item 6 wasn't from Guzziology, but it could have been.

• Like 2

Maybe a lot of bikes didn't get exhaust gaskets. I wonder if that could be a factor in some coughing/sneezing.

I was reading about head re-torque after new gaskets - like many things, there are differences of opinion. But it seems that some of the issue has to do with how the gaskets are made. Some materials need re-torque, others don't. I'll probably call MG Cycle next week and ask about the gaskets I got from them.

I need to get a copy of Guzziology. I did step 2, but not step 1. But I did torque, loosen, and then re-torque in 5 lb/ft increments starting at 15. I'm running the valves looser than the loosest factory settings already. Retorqueing takes a fair amount of time, since the rocker arms have to come off to access the head nuts, which in turn mandates a valve adjustment.

Thanks for adding step 6. With my new clutch, Roper Plate, fresh gaskets, fluids, plugs... I hope the next wrench is nothing more than oil and tires. I'm hell-bent on riding the Sherman Pass over the Sierra Nevadas on the LeMans this summer.

• Like 1

Czakky - did you then use gaskets when you re-assembled?

Here's a close-up. New gasket hanging on the stud. Does anybody think there could be a gasket in the head? I feel like I've been trying to remove something that doesn't exist.

attachicon.gifIMG_5076.jpg

See that brown rusty thing in the photo, that's the gasket. Yep they can be really difficult to remove as they compress and expand into the ID of the port. So now you have 2 fitted, wont matter.

Ciao

I haven't reinstalled the exhaust yet.  I've been waiting for a set of used, no front crossover, pipes from an '02 bike - which I got yesterday. 

That picture is a little deceiving. The rusty ring and the next, smaller, black ring, appear to be on the same plane - I cannot even feel a lip or raised edge between the rust and the black.

Do you think I should let it soak in penetrating fluid for a few days - then try again? Or is it not worth bothering with, since two gaskets apparently don't make a difference?

I haven't reinstalled the exhaust yet.  I've been waiting for a set of used, no front crossover, pipes from an '02 bike - which I got yesterday. 

That picture is a little deceiving. The rusty ring and the next, smaller, black ring, appear to be on the same plane - I cannot even feel a lip or raised edge between the rust and the black.

Do you think I should let it soak in penetrating fluid for a few days - then try again? Or is it not worth bothering with, since two gaskets apparently don't make a difference?

I have a head sitting on my bench now with a rusty ring like yours still in it. They are quite hard to remove, if you're concerned put a magnet on it to confirm.

You need to basically deform and collapse them to remove.

Ciao

• 6 years later...
2 minutes ago, Kevin_T said:

I was wondering if he ever installed the two o-rings on the short studs between the heads and the cylinder barrels?

A far more likely oil leak source than either a head gasket or (especially) a base gasket, IMO . . .

Otherwise, perhaps simply a valve cover gasket.

I deleted the post as to not mislead anyone. I just seen this post and it met me were I'm at. I spoke without knowledge, before doing the homework. It's just how my bike was and I think I shall now call the bike the Caveat Emptor Express because this machine has some really funny stuff going on.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kevin_T said:

I deleted the post as to not mislead anyone. I just seen this post and it met me were I'm at. I spoke without knowledge, before doing the homework. It's just how my bike was and I think I shall now call the bike the Caveat Emptor Express because this machine has some really funny stuff going on.

That O-ring under the head bolt is an often overlooked leak source that makes it look like it is leaking from the head gasket.

• Like 3

You got 'at right . Joe Eish knocked me out of a head gasket job on my 87 a long time ago . I still have the head gasket somewhere in this zip code. Removed the rocker arm assy. , installed the o-ring , reassembled and no-more-problem !

• Thanks 1