2002 v11 Scura electrical issues....need help

plexiform

One more thought,

I'm having a hard time believing the starter which was working back in your post No 1 has quit

Are you measuring 12.66 Volts at the starter with reference to the battery negative terminal or the chassis

Please connect the negative probe of the meter to a bolt on the engine or gearbox that is not used by other ground wires

That way we will get the true Voltage across the starter motor itself from input terminal to case.

From your post yesterday

"I have not put vaseline on the battery leads yet so will do that next" 

Most owners have a hard time understanding the importance of greasing the battery terminals, you can get away with it for years sometimes

then suddenly no start, I have seen a battery disconnect itself in a couple of weeks. 

I helped my riding buddy load his Kawasaki into the back of his truck and drag it home when it happened.

Scrape the lead posts so you see the bright metal then smear them with Vaseline, this keeps the Oxygen away.

So now I have cleaned all the wire ends going in to the battery and put vaseline on these connection points. I am getting 12.58v across the + and - terminal and when I turn the key on it goes to 12.28 and slowly goes down if I keep holding it there.  When trying to start the engine it does the same thing as before: loud solednoid click but no engine turnover. 

Across the + battery terminal and bolt on the engine case (not used by another ground wire) I get 12.58v

I appreciate all the advice.  I am going to pull the starter.  I haven't done it before so if there are any special instructions on how to approach that I'd appreciate it.  Looked on youtube for a video but haven't seen anything helpful as a DIY on how to remove the starter and where to start with opening it up.  I have to travel to Boston for the week so will have to come back to this project when I get back.   

The magnets sometimes come unglued from the case that jambs up the works, the assembly is not very complicated.

Pull it apart you might see something easily fixed

I am really interested to see what you find.

If all else fails you can get a new one.

http://www.harpermoto.com/starter-motor-valeo.html

I would avoid cheap Chinese knock offs

• Like 3

Got the starter motor off and opened.  To my untrained eye nothing looks wrong.  It actually looks nice and clean.  Should I start opening it more?  

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

If you *jump* the starter, does it spin up?

Otherwise, yes, you'll have to pull the starter case off to see if the magnets have come from apart.

• Like 1

Here is the jump test in slow motion to get a closer look at whats happening.  The last two seconds of the video are at normal speed.

As Docc says, it looks like you have field magnets unglued and jamming the armature. That drive cog is throwing forward as it should, but it should also spin. Normally with no load, it should spin up so fast the armature commutator (where the brushes touch) can destroy itself, so only do that check momentarily.

With the armature jammed, the current goes off the charts high, and cooks things inside.  Again, momentary contact is enough to test it.

Here is a link which deals with the magnet problem:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19296

And here is Cash1000's experience:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19676

• Like 2

Remove the field housing ( long round thing that holds the fields) and look to see if they have come loose . They are glued in place and their relationship in there is important . Any portion of them that is broken is bad news . euromotoelectrics is a great place for parts for these starters. Their website may have breakdowns for you to study.

• Like 2

Regarding taking the starter apart:

1.  the screw in blue comes out easily

2.  the tab circled with orange seems like it just holds this in place but does not require any unscrewing

3.  How do you remove the rivet in order to get the housing off? 

thanks

FullSizeRender-3.jpg