V11 Rebuild and customisation

knumbnutz

Pump dead. Seized and fried. New pump fitted. Lucky a auto shop 1/2 mile down the road. 

Runs like treat.

Wow. That sounds great. I hope you get a chance for a good ride soon.

Can you share some details about the fuel pump you got from the auto shop? What it an exact fit? Did you get a make/model of car that it's compatible with - or a part number?

• Like 1

Pump dead. Seized and fried. New pump fitted. Lucky a auto shop 1/2 mile down the road.

Runs like treat.

Wow. That sounds great. I hope you get a chance for a good ride soon.

Can you share some details about the fuel pump you got from the auto shop? What it an exact fit? Did you get a make/model of car that it's compatible with - or a part number?

Yeah. The model number wasnt exactly the same , maybe a newer version but dimension wise and spec is identical. And i thought it was well priced at $109 aud and on the shelf.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Guzzi brainstrust.

So ive got the electrical system done and before I run the engine, im turning it over without plugs in an effort to get oil pressure up.

I gave about 30 -40secs total over 5 attempts but oil light is still on.

Do i need to prime the system or it will self prime but just need more cranking time?

You're undoubtedly well past this point now, a week later, but I haven't checked in on V11LM in 6 months? Longer? So I just now saw this... Anyway, on a quasi-related note, I took a Corvair engine-rebuilding class once [for folks who adapt them to experimental aircraft usage] and after the 1st engine was built, the instructor put it on a stand and hooked up his handy-dandy drill motor on a dizzy shaft [for those who don't know, the oil pump is on the bottom of the same shaft the runs the distributor on those engines] so he could spin the oil pump & get all the oil into the galleries w/o actually turning the motor. Here's the significant bit: it took a good 10+ minutes of spinning before oil was squirting out the rocker arm oiling holes on all six cylinders.

So you might want to disconnect the timing chain and spin up the pump from an external source until you see the oil working its way out the heads [valve covers off to see things, of course! ;)

• Like 1

Hi Guzzi brainstrust.

So ive got the electrical system done and before I run the engine, im turning it over without plugs in an effort to get oil pressure up.

I gave about 30 -40secs total over 5 attempts but oil light is still on.

Do i need to prime the system or it will self prime but just need more cranking time?

You're undoubtedly well past this point now, a week later, but I haven't checked in on V11LM in 6 months? Longer? So I just now saw this... Anyway, on a quasi-related note, I took a Corvair engine-rebuilding class once [for folks who adapt them to experimental aircraft usage] and after the 1st engine was built, the instructor put it on a stand and hooked up his handy-dandy drill motor on a dizzy shaft [for those who don't know, the oil pump is on the bottom of the same shaft the runs the distributor on those engines] so he could spin the oil pump & get all the oil into the galleries w/o actually turning the motor. Here's the significant bit: it took a good 10+ minutes of spinning before oil was squirting out the rocker arm oiling holes on all six cylinders.

So you might want to disconnect the timing chain and spin up the pump from an external source until you see the oil working its way out the heads [valve covers off to see things, of course! ;)

All good now. After about 45-60secs oil pressure is good.

Taking the timing case off is not particularly easy and probably more trouble than its worth but also its definitely the best wat to do it or run an external pump. Having said that the in motor pump just takes a minute to prime after rebuild so no problem doing that as long as you don't run the engine to prime it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

Last Sunday, Brisbane had its largest Motorcycles show with about 4000 people walking through and 180 bikes on show. Laverda Concours 2017.

There were a LOT of nice bikes this year including some major standouts like a CX500 and an Egli Vincent to name but a few.

My fav was a lovely Guzzi powered Morgan 3wheeler.

24516340418_e4dbf0b4e4_b.jpg

my clunker

37672314744_b1e08dcfc2_b.jpg

and some silverware

38404212222_78a3d97467_c.jpg

• Like 9

my clunker

You stripped it to its very nature: pure Café. Epitome and climax of 50 years big block. The form of the tank, engine, headers, the front fork, the headlights: timeless design and still 10 or 15 years ahead of its time if you compare it to the now so successful BMW NineT.

I wish I had a black one here, the polished forks and headers look so classy.

• Like 2

Well..... mine wasnt black to start with so don't let that hold you back !

Those qualities are just a starting point and a base. Those very things you point out are the things I saw in the V11 too. 

I like the Tonti frames just as much but in a different more classic sense whereas the V11 tank, motor and frame give it not just a more modern feel but I think a more muscular beefy look too

my clunker

You stripped it to its very nature: pure Café. Epitome and climax of 50 years big block. The form of the tank, engine, headers, the front fork, the headlights: timeless design and still 10 or 15 years ahead of its time if you compare it to the now so successful BMW NineT.

I wish I had a black one here, the polished forks and headers look so classy.

• Like 3