V11 Rebuild and customisation

knumbnutz

It was getting quite bizarre at one stage, I would take a photo and then after a while i noticed almost all of them had a hammer in it.

Then I realised it may be because I have 6 hammers in my toolbox !!

22405965416_e53b209fe5_z.jpg2015-10-24_08-40-47 by Neil Morgan, on Flickr

As impressive as that light housing is (and it is! :thumbsup: ), I've had a growing trepidation . . . How can we really trust this knumbnutz guy? Where are his proper Guzzi credentials?

What a relief. I found it (in Post#1)!

gallery_328_223_140213.jpg

• Like 1

Im going to date myself here (almost prehistoric), that reminds me of the puzzles in the "Highlights for Children" magazines.   Can you find the_________ in the picture. 

Yes youre right. I now have one on these in the 5 3/4 versions for two bikes and this one for my Guzzi which is 8inch across for a 7inch Headlight. 

The problem is that some of the LED headlights fit in to the shells of the current headlights, but the look so nice open its a shame to hide them in the shell, let alone heat or wanting a change in colour of the shell. 

Of course the main reason is that these look (IMHO) much nicer and solid than the chrome shells.

I can see why you had to make that yourself as there is nothing out there worth a damn to make a 7 inch headlight fit in an 8 inch hole. Been looking for years.

Nicely done.

If you ever go to market with those, put me down for 2.

• Like 1

oh, and also.... we normally refer to this particular item by its more technical name of Knockometer.

As impressive as that light housing is (and it is! :thumbsup: ), I've had a growing trepidation . . . How can we really trust this knumbnutz guy? Where are his proper Guzzi credentials?

What a relief. I found it (in Post#1)!

gallery_328_223_140213.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to go. Need to clean now and then maybe paint, maybe not... decisions.

31324717125_fa65c659ce_b.jpgDSC_0263 by Neil Morgan, on Flickr

31180755812_748ae54d24_b.jpgDSC_0265 by Neil Morgan, on Flickr

30517187403_8ff9f0d695_b.jpgDSC_0266 by Neil Morgan, on Flickr

31180751852_d890d24eb3_b.jpgDSC_0273 by Neil Morgan, on Flickr

30956283330_931d00bc2b_b.jpgDSC_0274 by Neil Morgan, on Flickr

New pistons are on the way, FWIW, replace the seals and gaskets etc etc..

By any chance did you do a compression check before you decided to tear the engine down.  If you had low compression on that one cylinder it could have been caused by worn or poorly seated valve leaking hot exhaust gas into the exhaust port past the valve stem and valve cover area.  And taking a second look at the photo of the piston I see some discoloration on the piston near the wrist pin.  Im thinking that although the rings may have been leaking, it looks like the valve seat and guide was leaking much worse.

Im sure the guys that routinely tear these engines down will be able to provide a better analysis.

When I pulled the barrels off I thoughts, mmm thats odd, the ring gapss werent in perfect alignment but they certainly were closer than 1/3 of the circumference around from each other, maybe 20-30 deg.

But then the bore and pistons werent showing any signs aparts from the tiny bit you see inside the piston. No wear at all, bores, bearings - all good.

As a matter of course, i'll reseat the valves and check guides and replace seals.

The heads on my LeMans were discolored as in your pictures - I don't know what's normal, but at least you're not alone.

Painting the engine will never be easier than now, while it's on the bench. So if you think you might want to paint it, this is the time.

• Like 1