V11 Gearbox revival

Bjorn

So the gearbox on the ol V11 died and f*cked up the motorcycle trip for this summer :thumbsup: . Bike is still in the UK and will be shipped back to the Netherlands. Might as well share it here for the fellow guzzi owners.

Probably be the last topic, since this bike has been in the garage more then the road.

BTW anyone got a good picture sharing platform recommendation? Always used picasa but that has been dropped :(

med_gallery_9651_222_870869.jpg

med_gallery_9651_222_1194067.jpg

** pics added

Out of the blue everything locked up. Thank god it was at a very small road at low speed. After that shifting was near to impossible and the noise from the gearbox was terrible. Even during pushing.

The AA Guy was very helpfull and towed the bike to a bigger City where it is now awaiting shipment. Could take a few weeks.

Yes the rear wheel locked up! After coming to a stop we diagnosed the following:

Engine works fine, clutch works and is able to disengage the engine from gearbox. No exterior damage could be observed on any parts. We used the centre stand to lift the rear wheel from the ground. After 10 minutes of messing with the gear lever we found something that felt like neutral (N light on). We could rotate the rear wheel

During further rotation of the rear wheel (like during the pushing onto the trailer) horrible metallic grinding noises could be heard from the gearbox :o. We had the idea to open the gear shifter assembly plate on the LHS of the gearbox to maybe see what the F*ck happened. But since it was unsure when the AA would arrive we did not open it up. Risking a half disassembled bike by the time help would arrive.

Once we get it back here, we will take the gearbox off en open her up. By that time I hope to have figured out how google photos works :nerd:  

many here use photobucket but this forum won't accept mine (fromPB) shot on my phone, but will accept from PB if I shot on my Cannon. go fig. I have also been successful about half the time using copy paste, if it's small enough.

sounds like you've done as much as you can do for now. good luck with it. thanks for the info. inquiring minds ya know....

There was a recall for some V11's for a gearbox issue as I recall. Something about sudden catastrophic failure. Was yours in the recall range? Did it have the recall done? Am I completely wrong?

There was a recall for some V11's for a gearbox issue as I recall. Something about sudden catastrophic failure. Was yours in the recall range? Did it have the recall done? Am I completely wrong?

Seems that recall was early (into 2001?), but not the Ballabio of 2003-2004.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14680

I seem to recall that it was about replacing the output shaft belville washer pack that provides shock absorbsion. There may have been another mod as well at the same time, gear selector drive rings seems to also ring a bell.

Ciao 

I seem to recall that it was about replacing the output shaft belville washer pack that provides shock absorbsion. There may have been another mod as well at the same time, gear selector drive rings seems to also ring a bell.

Ciao 

Yup -"washer stack" and "sliding dogs."

Funny thing, this is what brought me to this forum back in 2003. I kept telling Guzzi (my dealer) that something had gone awry with my shifting. Another popular US forum basically told me I was clueless and couldn't shift a toilet valve. At the time I had over 25,000 miles on the Sport and knew something was off. Through the diligence of my dealer, Guzzi finally replaced the entire gearbox.

The recall followed shortly thereafter.

I remember posting on this forum, at the time, that we were the world's foremost experts on the "new" Guzzi 6speeder.

Even more-so now! :notworthy: Here's to members like LuckyPhil and Bjorn and so many others that take the time and care to share such detail and outcomes. :bier:

• Like 1