V11 Gearbox revival

Bjorn

This sounds quite similar to my transmission failure from a few years back. I hope yours is a less troublesome repair.

johnk

Very interesting read johnk. how about an update? what is your conclusion after a few years? I will have a very close look at my shafts after reading that.

Everything seems fine now but I've been riding a lot less the past four years I think I've only put another 15K on it since then.

• 2 weeks later...

we just came back from surgery. This is what we found:

med_gallery_9651_222_103605.jpg

getting the box of was easy peasy after the last encounter with the thing haha.

med_gallery_9651_222_483451.jpg

we first opened the inspection plate since that was the easiest to do. In that compartment of the box we only found 3 pieces of the bearing cage. So we opened her up further. We found a sh*t load of metal and alu parts in there. Most of the roller balls had left the bearing a broke out a piece of the casting. 

med_gallery_9651_222_18594.jpg

gallery_9651_222_414639.jpg

med_gallery_9651_222_297948.jpg

We have no clue how this happened but I find it very ''telling'' that a almost identical failure mode had been observed by a fellow owner posting his findings some years ago. Here a pic from that topic which as been mentioned here as well (thanks for that!)

IMG_0065.jpg

As for now.... the main guzzi dealer in the Netherlands is closed but we think our best option is a new gearbox....

• 5 weeks later...
Worked out a deal with Scud (thanks for that!) and the gearbox has arrived savely. For the peace of mind we will have the bearing that failed on the old box replaced for the new one. We also noticed oil in the clutch bell housing. We suspect its the rear crank seal, this will need to be replaced as well. Since both require some special tools we will take it to the dealer.

Not much to recognise as a V11 anymore :P

engine

chopper

We also noticed oil in the clutch bell housing. We suspect its the rear crank seal, this will need to be replaced as well.

Pete Roper has reminded us that there are several sources of oil leaks at the rear of the engine. Worth reading his comments (as always):

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3751&p=35372

Agreed - I recently suspected my main seal was leaking, but it miraculously stopped leaking when I put the clamp on the breather hose. If there is even a small crack in your breather hose, oil will work its way into the clutch housing area - and out the tiny weephole between engine and transmission cases.

Glad the tranny arrived safely. Remember - it's from a 2002, which is the year that some had issues with Pawl boss/spring. Since it's out, it's probably a good idea to take of the shift pre-selector, replace the springs, and do the shift-improvement polishing.

• 4 weeks later...

Progress is slow but steady :)

The gearbox has been rebuild by the Guzzi shop and is in working order again. During the search for the oil leak comming from the rear of the engine, the mechanice discoverd that the clutch was f*cked up. Somehow the rivets of one of the frictionplates had failed. I would not be suppised if this happed during the lock up of the gearbox. Anyway the clutch was fixed and the rear crank seal was leaking and was replaced as well. All in all enough euro's where spend on getting the bike back onto the road.

IMG 20161007 192225828

IMG 20161007 192547917

IMG 20161007 195158965 HDR

My brother also modified the shifter mechanism according to the topic here on the V11 forum, and he is very happy how it turned out! He told me it makes a big difference.

O and i also want to share these pics below. These are some pics from our old gearbox. What supprises us is the amount of corrosion! The bike is around 13 years old and we own the bike for about 4 years now. We have always stored it in a garage. However for 1 year this was a very very humid one. We dont know if the corrosion has always been there or occured during the last years. But this was not what we expected to find in a ''oily gearbox''. Even though its splash lubricated.

IMG 20161007 195211854

IMG 20161007 195233263

anyway.... hope to stay out of the ''technical topics'' for a while :lol:
  • Like 3

• 3 years later...

Hi all

I've just recently bought a v11 cafe sport 2004 21000 miles. The gearbox isn't quite right. Most times it fine but occasionally if you stop suddenly and have to change down rapidly say from 4th or 5th to 1st gear the gear lever can jam in the pressed down position.  I have to stop the engine and rock it a bit to free it up and it's fine again. Any ideas? Thanks peter

2 hours ago, Galletto27 said:

Hi all

I've just recently bought a v11 cafe sport 2004 21000 miles. The gearbox isn't quite right. Most times it fine but occasionally if you stop suddenly and have to change down rapidly say from 4th or 5th to 1st gear the gear lever can jam in the pressed down position.  I have to stop the engine and rock it a bit to free it up and it's fine again. Any ideas? Thanks peter

Pull the selector cover off and do the shift enhancement procedure listed in the How to section and replace the shifter spring. Most motorcycle gearboxes struggle with what you have described though. They need to be rotating for shifting to work effectively.

Ciao 

43 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Pull the selector cover off and do the shift enhancement procedure listed in the How to section and replace the shifter spring. Most motorcycle gearboxes struggle with what you have described though. They need to be rotating for shifting to work effectively.

Ciao 

What Phil is saying..