V11 Shift improvement

Lucky Phil

Guzzi sell a mod kit for the earlier bikes.

Hi, Phil.. do you have a part number for the kit?

Yes Chuck, p/n 01 20 16 41. About $120US from memory around 18 month ago

Ciao

Hi to all! I have the kit with the update gearbox cover. Shifting is ok, but normally I have a neutral between 3 and 4 gear.... Before I install the kit I didn't have that problem... Anyone have an idea how to solve it? Thx!

Fettling and adjustment as per my post. Pull the cover off and make sure the large and small eccentrics are adjusted correctly, esp the large, its quite sensitive to adjustment.

Ciao

• Like 1

Is the 2000 V11 sport susceptible to the shift spring problems?

As far as I know, all V11S are susceptible..  :huh2:

True that, although the 2002 seem over-represented.

Maybe we need a poll?

Remember around that time there was an issue with pawl arm bosses being incorrectly machined over size and causing the spring to bind.

Earlier and later didnt suffer from memory, just a batch. They got around it by making the spring ID larger or you could remove .5mm off the boss.

Ciao

• Like 1

Ciao

Thanks..

Hi, I will adjust like you said, but I think 0.030" (inch?) is too little... It's 0,7 mm... Is correct?

Best regards,

Nicolas.-

.7mm= .028"

Hi, I will adjust like you said, but I think 0.030" (inch?) is too little... It's 0,7 mm... Is correct?

Best regards,

Nicolas.-

Move the shift mechanism through its travel and adjust to the gap at its closest point. I rechecked my notes and I adjusted mine to 0.035" or 0.9mm its not too critical unless its too tight which will be obvious when you run it through the positions on the bench. 1mm or 0.040" would be acceptable I should think.

Ciao 

Ciao     

• Like 1

Best regards,

Nicolas.-

Move the shift mechanism through its travel and adjust to the gap at its closest point. I rechecked my notes and I adjusted mine to 0.035" or 0.9mm its not too critical unless its too tight which will be obvious when you run it through the positions on the bench. 1mm or 0.040" would be acceptable I should think.

Ciao 

Ciao     

I wish I understood better where this gap is set? :blush:

• Like 1

Ciao

Harpers wants a mere $344.37 Gulp. I'll make do with what I have.

Best regards,

Nicolas.-

Ciao 

Ciao     

I wish I understood better where this gap is set? :blush:

If you look at the photos docc and see the small adjustable eccentric pin that the later versions have ( as opposed to the earlier fixed roll pin) you adjust the eccentric so that at any point during the entire shift movement between gear selections the gap is 0.035-0.040. To do this you have the mechanism on the bench and operate the shift lever shaft to select a gear position while providing some resistance to the shift wheels so that it moves slowly and doesn't snap into the next gear position and also observe the selector fork as it moves back to the return position after the mechanism movement. Find its closest point in that process and adjust the eccentric to give clearance at that point.

On the earlier selectors you dont have the facility to adjust as its a fixed roll pin.

Ciao 

Ciao

Harpers wants a mere $344.37 Gulp. I'll make do with what I have.

Chuck I bought pretty much all my stuff from Pro Italia ( now re-branded AMS Ducati ) and some from MG cycles.

Yes at $344 its not worth the expense.Having said that I think Guzzi in the US have had a rethink of their parts pricing for older bikes. Around 18months ago I was buying stuff so cheap out of the states it was awesome. Awesome like 1/4 of the price for the same stuff from Europe. Seems its stopped now.

Ciao 

Mine shifts generally sweet, but from 2nd to 3rd there is some "resistance" - especially when rev is high. Almost like it must be forced at times. Any idea if this excellent recipe will cure that? 

Tough call, but it couldn't hurt to try. I'm looking at making some Lucky Phil extenders as we type. Smoothing up the shift pawl might help, too.

• Like 1

Hi to all! I have the kit with the update gearbox cover. Shifting is ok, but normally I have a neutral between 3 and 4 gear.... Before I install the kit I didn't have that problem... Anyone have an idea how to solve it? Thx!

Remove the cover and adjust the main eccentric as explained on the bench. Don't try it on the bike, it's too sensitive.

While you have it apart follow the rework info as well if possible

Ciao