V11 Shift improvement

Lucky Phil

I got the return spring from MG Cycle.

Me saying "it doesn't match the old one" might be a little extreme. It's not quite right and I might've somehow bent it.

Either way I called MG today and they were more than helpful in taking the time to check out my newly ordered spring while I tried to explain how it fits in a six speed box. Here's a pic of the spring that was making contact with the case. You can see it starting to separate while I've got the two ends of the spring together. Doesn't look like much but my old spring is flat as can be.

IMG_0139.JPG

No matter what I do with the return spring it drags on the crescent shape part of the casting. The spring doesn't match the old one.... gotta get a new one I guess.

I had this issue until I turned the spring up side down, then it didnt drag.

Ciao

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I have a couple posts to report after doing (most) of the Lucky Phil Shift Improvement. First, though, a big thanks to @Lucky Phil for sharing the technique and posting such great detail!  My box shifted okay before, but definitely improved. :luigi:

My shift lever had been sticking down periodically, so I replaced the springs (along with the Chuck/Scud Superspring). Unfortunately, the sticking persisted after the new springs. And the plate did not seal upon reassembly, so I had to go back in. This time I changed the leaky shifter shaft seal and installed the McMaster-Carr roller bearing posted by @Craig back in 2016.

Today, 205 miles, no leaks! And the new roller made my shift feel decidedly smoother and more precise. And no lever sticking! :thumbsup: My original bearing was really peckered up as you can see in the image. It was grooved like this in several places around the surface:

IMG_5421.jpg

Yet > sigh < , my neutral switch is stuck on and I really don't want to go back in there.  :mellow:  (I sealed that cover REALLY WELL this time.) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've moved the Neutral Switch mess I've made off this thread to Tech Topics. Thanks for helping me figure out what happened!

[edit/July 31, 2021: one of the circlips failed to stay in its groove and allowed the cam wheel to shift inboard where it did not contact the neutral switch.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I just picked up an 03 Lemans and its got a shifting issue. Upshifts are fine but downshifts are problematic especially when the bike is warmed up. The shift lever stays down until I let the clutch out and then it pops back to the normal position. Trying additional downshifts eventually gets me down through the gears (after a lot of clutch in/out and shifter work) but its very unpredictable and something is obviously wrong.

I read this thread, took off the sidecover of the trans aand don't see anything obviously wrong.  I'll do the polishing/etc described in this topic but want to know if I should look for anything in particular that would cause my problem. Thanks in advance!

Also what weight Redline Shockproof do you guys use (heavy, light or super light)?

Superlight looks like it'll work. From Redline:

Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W90, yet low fluid friction like ATF