V11 Shift improvement

Lucky Phil

ronkom, go back to the first page of this topic - Lucky Phil has great pics showing your 'old style' cover/pin vs the updated one. Apparently there's an update kit you could buy in the past, no clue if its still available.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ronkom said:

Well DUH!!! The reason I haven't understood the whole eccentric pin adjustment is that my transmission doesn't have one!  The hole it is mounted in on the various exploded parts exploded views  is filled w/a brass plug on my transmission cover. In fact, the hole is threaded from the outside and the threads are only cut about 3/4 of the way through the cover. 

The bike is a Sport naked w/a maroon tank titled as a 2003. The naked model in maroon/metallic charcoal is pictured in Guzzi 2003 literature, but in the parts books the naked is only listed as an 01-02.  The vin is ZGUKRAKR73M15043 the motor # is KR017166 (KR0 or KRO??) Can anyone translate those numbers to when it was built? 

Question: I am the 3rd owner of this bike (as far as I know). I know the last owner was into the tranny to change out broken spring(s). Is it supposed to have an eccentric bolt? Could it have been removed for some reason? 

ronkom 

PS have pictures as jpegs, don't know how to "insert from URL"

So, your V11 is considered a “carry over” from 2002, even though the 3 in the middle your VIN specifies 2003. Everything about your Sport will be like a 2002.

I suspect some previous owner removed the eccentric in some effort to address shifting issues. There should be no brass plug.

Pictures can be downsized and uploaded to an “Album” in your profile or to the “Gallery.” I’ve not been very successful at that, so I have all my images hosted on “imgzeit.” Others use flickr or smugmug or other hosting sites and post the image link in their replies.

BB, I looked again at the old/improved transmission cover pictured back on page 1. The old (unpainted) cover has a boss in the casting where the hole for the eccentric bolt would be drilled and the area around it machined for the lock nut.  My cover is painted black & has the hole & machined area where the eccentric should be. A brass plug is screwed into the hole.  What does the upgrade kit that Guzzi  had include? A new cover drilled, machined & tapped + the eccentric bolt &nut and the "banana" support w/circlips? I saw where it was VERY expensive. I wouldn't need the cover, can the parts be bought individually?   

P1010768.JPG

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ronkom said:

Other picture of my cover.

P1010769.JPG

Your cover has been "messed with" at some point. It appears to be the later style, maybe from an upgrade kit with the banana link missing and the small eccentric removed. That needs to be replaced with a pin or preferably an eccentric. It also appears that the shifter input/stop assembly has had the weld ground for some reason. The cover wasn't tapped where this one has a brass plug fitted, it is a plain hole and the eccentric fits the hole with a nut on the outside you loosen for the adjustment. So your cover has been modified and is now a chore to return back to a state where you can fit a pin. Either that or make a bespoke pin/eccentric. Why do people do this sort of thing.

The upgrade kit was pretty cheap at the time I bought mine, maybe 80USD or something I recall.

Ciao  

• Like 1

OK I located & printed out the gear box selector page from a 2001-2002 V11 parts manual, and the same page from a 2003-2004 manual. So I can see the parts I need to upgrade & make my transmission right. I'll check into the "kit" (GU973260900017). But it includes a new cover that I don't need and, if it's even still available will be $$. The pieces to make the upgrade are straightforward except for parts where two numbers are listed w/references to "C1" & "C2". I assume I need "C2" parts, correct?

Thanks, ronkom 

Personally if you can get the kit I'd buy the kit. Your current cover has been modified to the point where the std eccentric wont work with it I shouldn't think and although it's saveable with a workaround or re machining I doubt you have access to that?

Ciao

• Like 1

I got everything back together with a new spring (thanks @Scud) and it all works well now. When I put it back together I could see how the shift lever could interfere one way or another with the frame side plate (pork chop) on downshifts or the connector piece behind the top of the shift lever on upshifts if the linkage isn't adjusted properly - its a fairly narrow range of adjustment for the lever to not interfere with anything. I think my issue was the eccentric was interfering with the proper movement of the shift selector, and its fine now that I adjusted it to roughly .030" clearance. All in all a pretty easy job once I figured out how it all works.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 8/10/2021 at 5:19 AM, BillyB said:

Hello. I just picked up an 03 Lemans and its got a shifting issue. Upshifts are fine but downshifts are problematic especially when the bike is warmed up. The shift lever stays down until I let the clutch out and then it pops back to the normal position. Trying additional downshifts eventually gets me down through the gears (after a lot of clutch in/out and shifter work) but its very unpredictable and something is obviously wrong.

I read this thread, took off the sidecover of the trans aand don't see anything obviously wrong.  I'll do the polishing/etc described in this topic but want to know if I should look for anything in particular that would cause my problem. Thanks in advance!

Billy I have the same problem with my 02 Lemans.  The selector spring has been broken en have been replaced by a new one. Since then I have problems to shift down.  Have you already found and solved the problem?  I have already replaced the oil bij 75W140.  It is a little better to shift down when the motor is warm but the problem still exist.  Thanks and best regards.  Marc

Marc, mine is a lot better now but honestly still not perfect. All went back together fine with the new spring and it seemed to be adjusted well, but still at times the shift lever will stay in the down position and I have to let the clutch out to get the lever to pop back into the normal position. I noticed this was getting worse the last time I rode it a week or so ago and need to look into it further, but I'm expecting at this point it is due to a clearance issue with the shift lever/linkage and the frame or sideplate piece. Its a very narrow range of adjustment (at least on my bike) that allows the lever/linkage to fully move through the range it should but not hit anything that might cause it to hang up. Everything internally in the shift selector mechanism on mine seems ok.

12 minutes ago, BillyB said:

Marc, mine is a lot better now but honestly still not perfect. All went back together fine with the new spring and it seemed to be adjusted well, but still at times the shift lever will stay in the down position and I have to let the clutch out to get the lever to pop back into the normal position. I noticed this was getting worse the last time I rode it a week or so ago and need to look into it further, but I'm expecting at this point it is due to a clearance issue with the shift lever/linkage and the frame or sideplate piece. Its a very narrow range of adjustment (at least on my bike) that allows the lever/linkage to fully move through the range it should but not hit anything that might cause it to hang up. Everything internally in the shift selector mechanism on mine seems ok.

Just yesterday I replaced the pivot bolt and bushings in my shift lever. It appears by the pictures that the later V11 has the same lever and pivot construction; it is easy to overtighten the pivot bolt and pinch the lever. Check that your lever moves freely on the pivot. Sometimes it's the simple stuff. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, KenBlake said:

I'd love to purchase one of these if possible.

@Scud is The Keeper of the Springs. Use the "pm" (personal) message system to reach out to him by hovering over the username and clicking on "Message."

52 minutes ago, BillyB said:

Ken if you're talking about the extended shift arm part I checked on those last year and none were available.

@Chuck is currently looking for nine takers to make another run (#4?) of the LuckyPhil Shift Extender. Last count, I believe, was up to six . . .