Scura transmisson weirdness..

Chuck

Hmm, went to post this and it apparently went into the ether. Typing on a strange tablet, I no doubt pushed the wrong button.. but I digress..

Coming to a stop, it shifted down normally. Leaving the stop, it shifted into second but no farther. It will go back to first, neutral, and second, but that is all it will do. It's not the shifter spring, apparently, and the linkage looks fine. Has anyone seen this before? I've never heard of it.

Fortunately, Dorcia had the van in camp, so we roared back at 40 mph for 40 miles. . :huh2:  borrowed a ramp, and loaded the Mighty Scura in the van.

Any ideas? TIA

It will be in the shift mechanism internally Chuck and without knowing the version of shift mechanism it has its hard to say. Cant se it being a big issue to fix though.

Ciao

It will be in the shift mechanism internally Chuck and without knowing the version of shift mechanism it has its hard to say. Cant se it being a big issue to fix though.

Ciao

I was sort of afraid of that..   :homer:  Ah well, I get to *fix* something..

Eventually.

Also, before you dig into the internals make sure there is no binding in the external linkage. It seems simple and silly, but as it is easy to check and it could be that simple I would check it before digging in.

Also, before you dig into the internals make sure there is no binding in the external linkage. It seems simple and silly, but as it is easy to check and it could be that simple I would check it before digging in.

BTDT on the side of the road.. :)

I think is a gearbox preselector problem ( probably you have a torn spring or something like that) and as already told you it's not so difficult to open it and check what's wrong, before to do it mark the gearbox lever assembly,so when you put everything back together it's easier.

I think is a gearbox preselector problem ( probably you have a torn spring or something like that) and as already told you it's not so difficult to open it and check what's wrong, before to do it mark the gearbox lever assembly,so when you put everything back together it's easier.

I would think that if the spring was broken, the shift lever wouldn't return to the neutral position.  :huh2:

That's true, when the spring is broken the gearbox is completely locked, but there's another spring inside the preselector, or something it's stuck between the two wheels of the preselector when they try to reach the "3rd gear position".

If you don't hear other weird noises form the gearbox I think the problem can be located in the preselector, but of course I'm not a mechanic!!

Be careful to don't mess with the forks, spring etc in the preselector, it can be painful! 

When you are in the second gear the shift lever is free to move like when you are in 6th gear or is it locked?

It's free to move down to neutral or first, but not up.

That's true, when the spring is broken the gearbox is completely locked, but there's another spring inside the preselector, or something it's stuck between the two wheels of the preselector when they try to reach the "3rd gear position".

If you don't hear other weird noises form the gearbox I think the problem can be located in the preselector, but of course I'm not a mechanic!!

Be careful to don't mess with the forks, spring etc in the preselector, it can be painful! 

So far, I'm liking what you are saying.. :grin: I'd much rather it isn't internal.

As Harry Nillson said "Now lemme get  this straight.." You can get the transmission into neutral , you can get the transmission into 1st gear and move forward in 1st , you can get the transmission then to shift into 2nd gear and move forward in 2nd gear. Then you cannot get the transmission into 3rd gear. 

Is this correct ?

As Harry Nillson said "Now lemme get  this straight.." You can get the transmission into neutral , you can get the transmission into 1st gear and move forward in 1st , you can get the transmission then to shift into 2nd gear and move forward in 2nd gear. Then you cannot get the transmission into 3rd gear. 

Is this correct ?

Correct. Never have heard of that.