Fantasy time

Craig

How's the project going? What do you use to chase the threads? I've got an engine out right now and many holes have loc-tite residue in them.

Also - are you using an engine stand? If so what kind?

I have a set of metric taps and I just run them through by hand.

I am using a standard engine stand, way overkill for this. 

As far as how the project is going I am waiting for parts.  I don't expect the rods for another few weeks, and the heads are still with Mike rich.  I don't expect them back for a few weeks either.  I am not expecting to be back on the road this year.  Building back up will be pretty quick once all the parts are back and balanced, but tuning this thing will be interesting.

Thanks - I've got some taps too. Was thinking of lubricating with paint stripper to get the loc-tite out - or is oil good enough?

My current "engine stand" is some blocks of wood on the garage floor. Did you have to make any sort of adapter to get the engine on a standard stand - or did you just need find the right combination of bolts and spacers?  Pics appreciated if you have time. I'm probably going to swing by Harbor Freight and buy their smallest engine stand later today.

I spent the morning yesterday chasing all the threads on the case, upper sump and lower sump. Boring, but I always do this on a rebuild. Amazing how dirty threads get even if they have always had fasteners in them. It also forces you to look closely at all the nooks and crannies of an engine more closely than you might otherwise. I have to say that the Guzzi casting are very nice, especially compared to Big 3 block castings. Very little flash.

I also packed up the pistons and rod bearings and sent them to Swain Tech for coatings. When the heads get back from Mike Rich they will get a similar treatment.

Then I spent the afternoon with the shifter implementing most of Phil's suggestions. I will write in more detail about that in the shifter improvement thread.

I change out the transmission input spline for the one that came with the RAM clutch.

Can I ask what type of ' coating ' you are talking about with regard to the pistons and other parts? What is it for?

Cheers

Simon

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Thanks - I've got some taps too. Was thinking of lubricating with paint stripper to get the loc-tite out - or is oil good enough

Matter of opinion I suppose. I don't usually put anything on the tap if I'm just chasing threads unless there are bits that might get into somewhere they shouldn't... then I coat it with grease so the crap sticks to the tap. I'm doing some old cases at the moment (not MG) and noticed one bolt hole that looked like it had a section of broken bolt at the bottom. I went to drill out the centre for an extractor and the bit went through it like butter. Turns out is was just crud that had been really packed in there under the bolt. This thing has been apart a few times, so that may account for most of what was in there. It was enough that the bolt bottomed out before it was tight against the cover. I grabbed a bolt and drilled a hole through it... Screwed the bolt one by one into all of the holes and gently ran a drill down the centre of the bolt to loosen up any crud. You could do it without the hollow bolt, but it protects the threads and guides it straight. Afterwards I flipped the case over and tapped it on the bench and was surprised how much crud came out. I followed up with a bottoming tap.

Can I ask what type of ' coating ' you are talking about with regard to the pistons and other parts? What is it for?

Cheers

Simon

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Swain Tech coatings TBC on the piston domes and PC-9 on the piston skirts. This might be snake oil, but the coatings on the skirts were scored from my motor escapade and this was a more economical way of repairing than new pistons. 

• 5 months later...

Done.  She runs, and runs well.  I have an AFR that I am keeping a close eye on to make sure I don't run too lean while I am breaking in the new motor.  I haven;t really been able to try out anything, just a nice gentle road test.  

• Like 3

Done. She runs, and runs well. I have an AFR that I am keeping a close eye on to make sure I don't run too lean while I am breaking in the new motor. I haven;t really been able to try out anything, just a nice gentle road test.

Pictures or even better, video?

Done. She runs, and runs well. I have an AFR that I am keeping a close eye on to make sure I don't run too lean while I am breaking in the new motor. I haven;t really been able to try out anything, just a nice gentle road test.

Pictures or even better, video?

I will get some up.  She is very dirty.  All this work was on the inside!