V11 fuel tanks

milar

I gave up trying to deal with The Tank Shop.  I contacted them several times.  Slow, or no response.  Maybe they don't want to do overseas orders?

Mike

I gave up trying to deal with The Tank Shop. I contacted them several times. Slow, or no response. Maybe they don't want to do overseas orders?

Mike

Try this guy. He's up in Northern California. He'd do it. I will also add that he isn't cheap but he is one of the best.

http://www.wilcoxmetal.com

Yeah, I have concerns. I own 2 '02 LM's. One has no sign of stretch or bubble. The Tenni is showing some stretch. It is tight on the rear mount bolt hole. I removed it last year for winter maintenance, emptied and set aside. It was off about 4 mos. It was not as bad at fitment as it was when I took it off. This reinforces the theory I've read about the tank "recovering" when it sits without gas for a while. There is some slight problem with the paint, but not fuel related, I don't believe. No bubble or separation.

My 'option' is as I've stated in another post, is an aluminum replacement. I don't think it's completely necessary, but it would alleviate any future problems, and would look killer on the Tenni. Buffed, not polished or painted, would also be in keeping with the intent of the Tenni tribute theme and color.

There is a man here in Indianapolis that can do the job. I know him and he's done bodywork for myself and several other enthusiasts. He is very talented. I just have to catch him at the right moment, as he's always busy with 2 or 3 projects. As one would imagine with someone possessing those skills. He's seen it and said it would be the type he would enjoy duplicating. Just gotta make it happen.

It seems the Tank Shop in Scotland is being less than enthusiastic to some members here. I personally have not contacted him. The price (now?), the distance, and the wait, sorta put me off. He does make some beautiful pieces. The Ducati Peeps must have some contacts for them because Acerbis made many of their tanks as well. I have a friend with a Sport 1000 Duc and he had one made somewhere in Europe. I didn't bother to ask him where he got it because it cost him 2200. I don't want one that bad.

I like the idea of an aluminum tank for the V11. It fits with the nature of the bike.

But has anyone considered a carbon fiber tank? That could be easier to fabricate, especially by the DIY types out there.

I have a couple carbon fiber Ducati tanks for my old racebikes, and one nice aluminum tank. I prefer the look/feel of the aluminum tank but the carbon fiber tanks are really light and look cool.

footgoose, I created this thread to bring milar's post and other posts together in one thread. I can't find that post of yours, but would like to link it here.

Can you direct me to it?

footgoose, I created this thread to bring milar's post and other posts together in one thread. I can't find that post of yours, but would like to link it here.

Can you direct me to it?

I figured you did. Good idea. Great subject. comment start #23 here http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19518&page=2                  Possibly redundant.

this post will self destruct when read.. ?

Can you direct me to it?

I figured you did. Good idea. Great subject. comment start #23 here http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19518&page=2                  Possibly redundant.

this post will self destruct when read.. ?

Heh - I considered that, but this links the threads, so let's leave it. Thanks!

With the age and construction of these nylon Acerbis tanks, along with the effects of *binary azeotropes* :o , I hope we can get our options archived.

For what it's worth, knowing that 'OldJock', a guzzi guru, lives relatively close in Glasgow, I Googled 'the tank shop', thinking he might be able to help out.

Second entry was a request from a biker to the MCN forum 8 years ago saying he's not answered the phone for 3 weeks !

Some people are craftsmen first, business owners second.

There are angles I look at this Marabese designed V11 tank and find it so stunning and compelling. It is certainly like no other, totally unique. :food:

Other times, it looks bulbous and odd and oversized. :wacko:

Yet, we are probably entering an era of "preservation" as well as sourcing handcrafted replacements.

There are two distinct V11 fuel / gas tanks and they are not simply interchangeable even while they have the same shape/appearance.

But has anyone considered a carbon fiber tank? That could be easier to fabricate, especially by the DIY types out there.

I have a couple carbon fiber Ducati tanks for my old racebikes, and one nice aluminum tank. I prefer the look/feel of the aluminum tank but the carbon fiber tanks are really light and look cool.

I wish I had not read that...  Now I want a CF tank for my Scura.

I wish I had not read that...  Now I want a CF tank for my Scura.

This is such a great idea. I can write you a *doctor's note* . . .

What could be more Scura? :ninja:

• Like 1

There are angles I look at this Marabese designed V11 tank and find it so stunning and compelling. It is certainly like no other, totally unique. :food:

Yet, we are probably entering an era of "preservation" as well as sourcing handcrafted replacements.

There are two distinct V11 fuel / gas tanks and they are not simply interchangeable even while they have the same shape/appearance.

Why aren't the 2 tank types interchangeable docc? I have 2 of the new type ( 1 second hand and 1 brand new) and a brand new version of the old type, plus the original on my V11 greenie. The new version will fit very easily requiring a small modification to the sub frame mount. I've tried both my new versions on my bike and will use one of these when I fit the Daytona motor. Although I like the old one the new version has much superior and simplified injector plumbing.

Speaking of the Daytona engine project, just got my Carrillo rods back from Carrillo after a factory referb, new little end bushes, closed and honed big ends, checked for twist, bend and crack tested for $240us. Good deal for anyone considering. 

Ciao 

I've often found myself thinking the very same thing docc. couldn't describe it better. I'm thinking that the hangy down bits at the rear that resembles two, too big ear lobes, is the culprit. I wouldn't give up the extra fuel residing there for looks though. I've wondered, does the 1100 Spoti tank fit? Is it nylon too?

Agreed. After all they are the last of the *real* Guzzis..  :grin:

• Like 1