V11 fuel tanks

milar

There are angles I look at this Marabese designed V11 tank and find it so stunning and compelling. It is certainly like no other, totally unique. :food:

Other times, it looks bulbous and odd and oversized. :wacko:

I've often found myself thinking the very same thing docc. couldn't describe it better. I'm thinking that the hangy down bits at the rear that resembles two, too big ear lobes, is the culprit. I wouldn't give up the extra fuel residing there for looks though. I've wondered, does the 1100 Spoti tank fit? Is it nylon too?

PreV11 Sports have metal tanks.

I can see that the "skirts" or "panniers" of the tank shape contribute to its visual mass. Taking the V11 as a whole, especially with monochromatic body parts, I think the design looks like a giant, molten flame being blown by an intense wind from the front. Makes me wanna wrap myself around it and feed it high octane fuel! B)

There are angles I look at this Marabese designed V11 tank and find it so stunning and compelling. It is certainly like no other, totally unique. :food:

Yet, we are probably entering an era of "preservation" as well as sourcing handcrafted replacements.

There are two distinct V11 fuel / gas tanks and they are not simply interchangeable even while they have the same shape/appearance.

Why aren't the 2 tank types interchangeable docc? I have 2 of the new type ( 1 second hand and 1 brand new) and a brand new version of the old type, plus the original on my V11 greenie. The new version will fit very easily requiring a small modification to the sub frame mount. I've tried both my new versions on my bike and will use one of these when I fit the Daytona motor. Although I like the old one the new version has much superior and simplified injector plumbing.

Speaking of the Daytona engine project, just got my Carrillo rods back from Carrillo after a factory referb, new little end bushes, closed and honed big ends, checked for twist, bend and crack tested for $240us. Good deal for anyone considering. 

Ciao 

My over-simplification. :blush:  They are, indeed, interchangeable, but will require adapting the fuel pump, fuel filter, regulator, and plumbing between the two versions (internal and external pump/etc). What had to be modified on the rear subframe mount to fit the later (internal) tank to the earlier frame?

I've often found myself thinking the very same thing docc. couldn't describe it better. I'm thinking that the hangy down bits at the rear that resembles two, too big ear lobes, is the culprit. I wouldn't give up the extra fuel residing there for looks though. I've wondered, does the 1100 Spoti tank fit? Is it nylon too?

PreV11 Sports have metal tanks.

I can see that the "skirts" or "panniers" of the tank shape contribute to its visual mass. Taking the V11 as a whole, especially with monochromatic body parts, I think the design looks like a giant, molten flame being blown by an intense wind from the front. Makes me wanna wrap myself around it and feed it high octane fuel! B)

Yet, we are probably entering an era of "preservation" as well as sourcing handcrafted replacements.

There are two distinct V11 fuel / gas tanks and they are not simply interchangeable even while they have the same shape/appearance.

Why aren't the 2 tank types interchangeable docc? I have 2 of the new type ( 1 second hand and 1 brand new) and a brand new version of the old type, plus the original on my V11 greenie. The new version will fit very easily requiring a small modification to the sub frame mount. I've tried both my new versions on my bike and will use one of these when I fit the Daytona motor. Although I like the old one the new version has much superior and simplified injector plumbing.

Speaking of the Daytona engine project, just got my Carrillo rods back from Carrillo after a factory referb, new little end bushes, closed and honed big ends, checked for twist, bend and crack tested for $240us. Good deal for anyone considering. 

Ciao 

My over-simplification. :blush:  They are, indeed, interchangeable, but will require adapting the fuel pump, fuel filter, regulator, and plumbing between the two versions (internal and external pump/etc). What had to be modified on the rear subframe mount to fit the later (internal) tank to the earlier frame?

Oh OK, yes can't wait to junk all that external stuff and neaten up the area around the engine. The subframe mount needs to be slotted ( fwd from memory) a little as the tank isn't exactly the same length due to a slight variation in the later frames being longer. No biggie though.

Ciao

• Like 1

I have a 2004 Rosso Corsa gas tank if anyone in the Los Angeles, SF Bay Area or Sacramento area would like to borrow it for fabrication of an aluminum tank....

Note: this tank has the hole in the bottom for the fuel pump.

I'd prefer not to ship the huge thing.... but I travel fairly frequently to above areas.

Sadly, this is all that remains of my once powerful Guzzi empire ; > (

• Like 1

My tank is just a little "abundant" on the rear bolt, not in perfect condition because I discovered the tip off valve was placed upside down by the factory so while  riding the Tenni the thank was used to shrink under the pressure of the fuel pump so the paint now is a little "stressed".

I want to keep my tenni as much as possible in stock condition si I'm thinking about a professional internal epoxy internal coating but the cost is around $400.

Just replaced the thermal protection under the tank.

My tank is just a little "abundant" on the rear bolt, not in perfect condition because I discovered the tip off valve was placed upside down by the factory so while  riding the Tenni the thank was used to shrink under the pressure of the fuel pump so the paint now is a little "stressed".

I want to keep my tenni as much as possible in stock condition si I'm thinking about a professional internal epoxy internal coating but the cost is around $400.

Just replaced the thermal protection under the tank.

Or you could do it like I did for $42, IIRC..

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=62087.0

• Like 1

Thant's another possibility!

How many years ago did you do the internal coating?

Is it still there or it has been dissolved by the ethanol and sucked by the fuel pump?

3.I fixed an "unrepairable " Quota tank the same way 8 years ago, but have lost track of it.

• 4 weeks later...

But has anyone considered a carbon fiber tank? That could be easier to fabricate, especially by the DIY types out there.

I have a couple carbon fiber Ducati tanks for my old racebikes, and one nice aluminum tank. I prefer the look/feel of the aluminum tank but the carbon fiber tanks are really light and look cool.

I wish I had not read that...  Now I want a CF tank for my Scura.

I'm sure it's cost prohibitive but there are folks out there making tanks out of Carbon Fiber. They have never setup the shop section of their website as they probably figured out that only Ducati folk are willing to spend this kind of money. They usually show up at Barber's every year so you might get them to ballpark a price.

They do some lovely things to a v11 sport.

http://www.moto-studio.com

3.jpg

Moto-Studio-01.jpg

But has anyone considered a carbon fiber tank? That could be easier to fabricate, especially by the DIY types out there.

I have a couple carbon fiber Ducati tanks for my old racebikes, and one nice aluminum tank. I prefer the look/feel of the aluminum tank but the carbon fiber tanks are really light and look cool.

I wish I had not read that...  Now I want a CF tank for my Scura.

I'm sure it's cost prohibitive but there are folks out there making tanks out of Carbon Fiber. They have never setup the shop section of their website as they probably figured out that only Ducati folk are willing to spend this kind of money. They usually show up at Barber's every year so you might get them to ballpark a price.

They do some lovely things to a v11 sport.

http://www.moto-studio.com

3.jpg

Moto-Studio-01.jpg

You know I've had some experience making fibreglass tanks for bikes from scratch, which means using a pre existing tank and making a mold of the top and base then joining them and sealing. Its not something I have time for at the moment but its not an outrageously hard thing to do for those that do it professionally. Whether its wet laid carbon or glass wouldnt make a huge difference to the ultimate price and the V11 tank underside and mounts are very simple and easy to mold. May be worth investigating a group buy and approach people that do this stuff as I believe you should be able to keep the cost to under a grand US with a reasonable amount of orders.

Ciao   

• 1 year later...

just doing some follow-up on this subject and am curious as to the "two versions" of our gas tank. #1 would be '99 to internal fuel pump, and #2 being internal fuel pump models? So an '02 tank will be correct for an '00, for example? No other differences? Someone mentioned possibly length I think?