2004 Lemans oil

Colorobo

• 2 months later...

I use Lucas Motorcycle  20W-50. No idea how to even find out what the "base oil" is. I wish I knew? :huh2:

So, Lucas has not replied to my inquiry about their base oils, so i suspect they are nothing special.

I've switched to Redline 20w-50 "ester based . . . lubricant with extra ZDDP . . ." 

Thanks, jharvey, for posting! :thumbsup:

Two of the most respected members on this forum also recommend Schaeffer oils .  I'll have to give those a try one day . . .

I use Lucas Motorcycle  20W-50. No idea how to even find out what the "base oil" is. I wish I knew? :huh2:

So, Lucas has not replied to my inquiry about their base oils, so i suspect they are nothing special.

I've switched to Redline 20w-50 "ester based . . . lubricant with extra ZDDP . . ." 

Thanks, jharvey, for posting! :thumbsup:

Two of the most respected members on this forum also recommend Schaeffer oils .  I'll have to give those a try one day . . .

FWIW, Lucas is an Indiana company. The last oil comparison I read put Lucas pretty far down the list. It's probably still fine to use.

Some of the best were Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1 Vtwin.

I use Motul 10-60. It smellsa good.. :grin:

• Like 1

Just jumping in this topic to learn as we all know Oil is changing fast not only due to improvements to oil technology but also due to the great ole EPA. 

The Oil I am currently using on my 96 KLR is  Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic.

So of course since the engine in the KLR is a different design to the Moto Guzzi I am all eyes on the correct lubricants needed in all aspects for the Moto Guzzi to help them live a long fun life. :)

+1 for Motul. I've been using the full synthetic 15 - 50 300V Motul for about 6 years and the inside of my case is shinny clean....it's amazing oil but hella expensive at around $19.00 US for a liter. I did about 10 K break in miles with conventional oil and then switched over to full synthetic, first Mobil 1, then Motul.

Andy

+1 for Motul. I've been using the full synthetic 15 - 50 300V Motul for about 6 years and the inside of my case is shinny clean....it's amazing oil but hella expensive at around $19.00 US for a liter. I did about 10 K break in miles with conventional oil and then switched over to full synthetic, first Mobil 1, then Motul.

Andy

https://www.amazon.com/MOTUL-7100-Synthetic-Ester-Motor/dp/B00IKCYD76/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1479643459&sr=8-4&keywords=motul+10-60

since the 15-50 is ridiculously expensive, and Guzzi recommends 10-60 any more, I go with it.

Andy

https://www.amazon.com/MOTUL-7100-Synthetic-Ester-Motor/dp/B00IKCYD76/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1479643459&sr=8-4&keywords=motul+10-60

since the 15-50 is ridiculously expensive, and Guzzi recommends 10-60 any more, I go with it.

Damnnnnn tooting!  Next round I'm in with that.  I get my Redline Heavy via Amazon, and I'll get my Motul there too.  Thanks Chuck.

Andy