Lucky Phil extender mod

Chuck

I'll finish the tooling this afternoon. With any luck at all, I'll have the first part.. but.. when you are forming sheet metal what the math says and what actually happens isn't always the same. If it isn't it will be back to square one on the machining fixture.  :homer:

In 5 or 10 years time Chuck we will be just emailing the the file around for this to everyone and you'll take it down to the 3D print shop at your local shops and they'll print you one up on their powdered metal laser 3D printer.

In the mean time we have to rely on skilled people like yourself to create something out of nothing:)

Ciao

• Like 3

Well, I'll have one if nobody else does.  :grin: The 20 ton press I have was *just* enough to do that bend. Managed to get one picture uploaded before my gerbil powered ISP started creeping along again. 

It'll have two holes.. same location as the top of the factory one, and one 12mm above. Still a little sweetening of the code to do. 

29165536692_49b3b370a8_c.jpg2-003 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Even a blind hawg finds an acorn now and then..  :oldgit:

• Like 3

You guys crack me up. :grin:  I love this community! :thumbsup:

I just refitted one of these shifter mechanisms on a Rosso Corsa yesterday that was so jacked up. We counted like eight or ten things that needed to be seen-to to get it *right.*

Rear-set linkages have long been known to be Rube Goldberg machines! :wacko:

Ok, I have the first one mounted on the Mighty Scura, and it works without issue. Haven't ridden it yet, though.. the lunch whistle just went off.

I know you're not going to want to hear this, but changing out the lever is greatly facilitated by removing the starter. :bbblll:  That means gaining access to the inaccessible nut  :angry: that holds the reservoir bracket.

When I did this last time, I tried several ways and several wrenches to get to that sucker. This is the only way I could do it, and it's not a bad job if you do it this way.

28669944033_e95ae6157f_c.jpg2016-08-28_11-19-44 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Just a plain combination wrench..turn the screw until it slides onto the nut. 

I'll go for a ride after lunch and see if all this has been worth it.  :bike:

Ok, went for a ride. Lucky Phil was right. I don't think I've ever had a better shifting bike after doing the mods. I have 300 miles of local riding on the flat ground shifter pawl, and no hint of the lever sticking down, either. What's not to like? :thumbsup: 

Unfortunately, that $50 price for the extender is as cheap as I can make them. Most of my work is machining engineering plastic and aluminum. I'd sort of forgotten how long it takes to cut 4130. 

If you want one, send me an email with your contact info. 

But wait!! There's more! For only $100, I'll send you two and won't increase the shipping and fondling. Operators are standing by. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, Chuck!

I tried sending you a Personal Message through the forum, but it is yet "unread."

You want to show your email address here for contact info?

Also, what should we add to cover shipping & fondling :P ?

It's pretty easy to remove the whole shifter. Then you can clean and lube the pivot at the same time.

Looking forward to trying one of these. I've been missing 4>3 downshifts on my LeMans. We'll see if the lever helps - or if I still need to get into the selector box.

$100 will be on the way as soon as I can figure out how to contact the operator. Are we taking care of Lucky Phil somehow in this deal? At least some money for a few VBs?  :bier:

• Like 1

Thanks, Chuck!

I tried sending you a Personal Message through the forum, but it is yet "unread."

You want to show your email address here for contact info?

Also, what should we add to cover shipping & fondling :P ?

Shirley   :)  a robot wouldn't pick up 59.Chuck at Gmail dot com? Send me your contact info and I'll get em out as soon as they come off the presses.

I'll send Lucky Phil one, but it'll be red. :grin:  Everyone else gets zinc chromate primer. I'll check with the post office tomorrow for US delivery charge.

I have enough stock to make 14. My guess is that will be the first and probably only run of them.

• Thanks 1

Are we taking care of Lucky Phil somehow in this deal? At least some money for a few VBs?  :bier:

I'm happy if it improves the riding experience for you guys. Besides Chuck has done all the amazing work :thumbsup:

Ciao

...you can clean and lube the pivot at the same time...

The previous owner of my bike added a grease nipple to the shift lever. I thought that this was a good idea for others to do at the same time as fitting the extended lever, so posted this picture.

Gear Lever Grease Nipple.jpg

Also, I had slop on the inner bush of my shift lever, where I found that the pivot bolt was threaded too much, so the inner bush sat on threads instead of plain shank. The bush had grooves worn in it, and the threads were worn flat. I got a new bolt with less thread on it, and made new bushes. This improved shift lever action a little.

• Like 1

Eeeks! More people want these than I expected. I scrounged around in my "good airplane junk" pile, and found enough 4130 to make 5 more. That'll be 19 total. 15 are already spoken for. I'll make them until stock runs out, but don't plan on making any more right now. It kinda reminds me of work..  :) I've had 60 years (!) of that, and I'm officially retired. 

Looks like first class postage will be around $3 to the continental US. 

International somewhere between $15-20, depending on where.

I can take PayPal or check. Don't send any money until you have them in your hand and we know how much it cost to ship.

Back to turning the crank..

Eeeks! More people want these than I expected.

Well, when you promise to make something longer... and the effect is greater power and precision with up and down motion... and it enhances the riding experience...

• Haha 1