Lucky Phil extender mod

Chuck

That some of the foot levers have different appearances (protruding bushing) is no false alarm.

There are two lower-rear subframe versions (late model long-frame has braced subframes).

Do any of the late models index the protruding bushing into the subframe tab?

On my bike, the bush protrudes from the foot pedal lever (item 1), and just fits into the hole in the pushrod drive lever (16). That lever (16), that Chuck is making, has the rear lower hole the same size as the bush (2) OD, not the pivot bolt (5) OD. At least that's what I'm expecting when the slow boat from California arrives, and that's what Chuck's CAD drawing seems to show. And Chuck's picture in post #18 of this topic.

I made new bushes (2) for my Pedal Lever, and I expected to be able to drive them further in, as Docc suggested, and trim them off later, but no. The counterbore for the outboard bush was about 10mm for a 10mm long bush. At the inboard side, the counterbore was about 8mm for the 10mm bush. The bush on that side is designed to protrude, but not enough to touch the subframe tab.

V11 Shift Lever.jpg

That some of the foot levers have different appearances (protruding bushing) is no false alarm.

There are two lower-rear subframe versions (late model long-frame has braced subframes).

Do any of the late models index the protruding bushing into the subframe tab?

On my bike, the bush protrudes from the foot pedal lever (item 1), and just fits into the hole in the pushrod drive lever (16). That lever (16), that Chuck is making, has the rear lower hole the same size as the bush (2) OD, not the pivot bolt (5) OD. At least that's what I'm expecting when the slow boat from California arrives, and that's what Chuck's CAD drawing seems to show.

I made new bushes (2) for my Pedal Lever, and I expected to be able to drive them further in, as Docc suggested, and trim them off later, but no. The counterbore for the outboard bush was about 10mm for a 10mm long bush. At the inboard side, the counterbore was about 8mm for the 10mm bush. The bush is designed to protrude.

attachicon.gifV11 Shift Lever.jpg

This is correct from my experience. I did the same, made new bushes and modified the bolt so the threads didn't destroy the inner bush.

Ciao 

• Like 1

Chuck, I sent an email to 59chuck at g mail dot com ---I FORGOT the dot after59!!!! I asked for 2. Do you have me down for 1 at least?

I will shoot an email to the correct one now

weird thing is, the wrong address went through??? 

so, I sent it without the dot and then without a capital C. you may have rec'd more than one. sorry

It seemed easy:(

You are in line for one from your post on page one of this thread. Oops, I have an email from you for 2, the wrong address *did* go through. 

Some things aren't meant to be understood.

I hope I am in line, but I missed where to send my info... I tried chuck at gmail dot cm to no avail...

Sorry, but there was an earlier email at 5:59 last night.

Alright everyone, listen up. If I've replied in an email or here and said you were in line for one, send me an email with your snail mail address. I'll give you mine and Paypal account if you want to do that.

Paypal, personal check, barter for beer..

I'll send the extenders out as soon as I finish them up.

Here's the one I've been looking for.. finally.. the last one. :grin: Put it on the form die..

28748225623_5401fbc2b3_c.jpg2016-08-31_05-14-34 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Apply 20 tons..

29369606945_d1f3941563_c.jpg2016-08-31_05-15-37 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Ta daa

29261375302_4da4ff9494_c.jpg2016-08-31_05-15-06 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Still have to clean, bead blast, and chromate. That'll take a day at least. I've decided you guys are working me too hard :oldgit: so I'm taking a few days off and riding the Mighty Scura to the Ohio rally.

I'll get these out next week.  :thumbsup:

• Like 6

I was interested in the mechanics of this Chuck and now I know. That's quite a bit of work there, well done. You've made my attempt look rather pathetic:)

Enjoy your days off at the rally.

Ciao

I was interested in the mechanics of this Chuck and now I know. That's quite a bit of work there, well done. You've made my attempt look rather pathetic:)

Enjoy your days off at the rally.

Ciao

Thanks, Phil.. actually, it was more work than I expected. I've never done a run of 4130 before. Normally, when building an airplane, I'll make one of a part, and don't give a thought to how tough it is on the cutter.  :)  I used up several end mills on this "production"run. In hindsight, I should have gone to a laser or water jet shop and had them make the blanks. At first, I thought, "no big deal, I'll probably only make 10 or so." That's why I did them this way. It's so 20th century.. :rasta: but it got the job done. 

• Like 2

..actually, it was more work than I expected. I've never done a run of 4130 before. Normally, when building an airplane, I'll make one of a part, and don't give a thought to how tough it is on the cutter. :) I used up several end mills on this "production"run. In hindsight, I should have gone to a laser or water jet shop and had them make the blanks.

I know what you mean. Some metals are hard work. I just finished making attachment brackets for the new bike rack I should have fitted 6 months ago. I had a brainwave and pulled some titanium out of a scrap bin, thinking that it would match the titanium cans.

What a dumb idea!

I couldn't cut it, so made up a .dxf file and went to the closest laser cutter. They said "nope, 4mm thick is the limit for that stuff without argon, and we use nitrogen". Then the water cutter said "8mm? Sure, come back tomorrow with $90". That's when the fun started. I wrecked 4 drill bits and 2 taps, but at least it didn't catch fire.

Then I painted the brackets black, so the idea of matching the cans was wasted.

Next time I think that Ti6Al4V is a good idea for something, I'll have a beer until I calm down.

I believe that the Russians make a lot of titanium stuff, which helps explain why they drink a lot of vodka.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

...That's quite a bit of work there, well done...

We know that you got the idea, trialed it, and then told everyone. Well done you too!

It wouldn't have happened without your efforts.

Thanks, as long as people are happy with the way it works then I'm happy.

Ciao

..actually, it was more work than I expected. I've never done a run of 4130 before. Normally, when building an airplane, I'll make one of a part, and don't give a thought to how tough it is on the cutter. :) I used up several end mills on this "production"run. In hindsight, I should have gone to a laser or water jet shop and had them make the blanks.

I know what you mean. Some metals are hard work. I just finished making attachment brackets for the new bike rack I should have fitted 6 months ago. I had a brainwave and pulled some titanium out of a scrap bin, thinking that it would match the titanium cans.

What a dumb idea!

I couldn't cut it, so made up a .dxf file and went to the closest laser cutter. They said "nope, 4mm thick is the limit for that stuff". Then the water cutter said "8mm? Sure, come back tomorrow with $90". That's when the fun started. I wrecked 4 drill bits and 2 taps, but at least it didn't catch fire.

Then I painted the brackets black, so the idea of matching the cans was wasted.

Next time I think that Ti6Al4V is a good idea for something, I'll have a beer until I calm down.

I believe that the Russians make a lot of titanium stuff, which helps explain why they drink a lot of vodka.

Mouser

27190037106_9d67ecbd49_c.jpg2016-05-24_02-55-34 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

has a couple of titanium pieces. Saved a little less than a pound.  :rolleyes: What a nightmare to machine.

• Like 1