Lucky Phil extender mod

Chuck

On 9/15/2020 at 6:10 AM, docc said:

[docc posted image by "Copy Image Location" and pasting]:

IMG_20200829_150538158.jpg

Small tail Stinson? Franklin powered?

7 hours ago, po18guy said:

Small tail Stinson? Franklin powered?

It's a..uhh.. slightly modified :) Piper colt. I've had my share of Stinsons, though. They used to be cheap. (Guzzi content) At one time I had 2 flying, and 3 parts planes. :oldgit:

8 hours ago, Chuck said:

It's a..uhh.. slightly modified :) Piper colt. I've had my share of Stinsons, though. They used to be cheap. (Guzzi content) At one time I had 2 flying, and 3 parts planes. :oldgit:

Huh. Had that Stinson-ish look from the side. There is something aircraft-like about the Guzzi engine, maybe a slice of radial?Ā 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, po18guy said:

Huh. Had that Stinson-ish look from the side. There is something aircraft-like about the Guzzi engine, maybe a slice of radial?Ā 

Yeah, the first time I saw the valve covers off of a Guzzi engine, I thought, "airplane. That sucker is sturdy.." :grin:

• Like 2

On 9/17/2020 at 3:47 PM, po18guy said:

Ā 

Ā 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, po18guy said:

A Guzzi-engined aircraft created an entire new category: Ultraheavies.

Waiting for Chuck to come along and enlighten us with his awesome Aero-Lario!

Aero-Guzzi engines rock! :mg:

7c14b731a39c643a9d395f6c77d48d95.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, docc said:

Waiting for Chuck to come along and enlighten us with his awesome Aero-Lario!

Aero-Guzzi engines rock! :mg:

Ā 

Truth to tell, look up the Arrow Sport. Cast iron Ford flathead V8 for power, through a reduction gear. Reputed to be slightly heavier than a Guzzi. Anyway, dad helped rebuild a Sport and on the maiden takeoff, said reduction gear decided to go on strike. Luckily, the private airstrip was surrounded by pastureland...Ā 

Screen%20Shot%202020-09-18%20at%2010.02.

Screen%20Shot%202020-09-18%20at%2010.03.

Hey Chuck, it's not too late to re-purpose those spars and ribs and make a bold strike for antiquity. Airframe would reportedly support a V11... :rolleyes:

Screen%20Shot%202020-09-18%20at%209.55.5

• Like 1

I've seen an Arrow Sport and heard it run. It wasn't airworthy, though. Believe me, I looked at using a Guzzi power plant. Turn it upside down and use a dry sump.

But.

Without a reduction drive, it would be limited to 3400 rpm by the prop, and Guzzis need 5500. I *have* a Guzzi reduction drive, but it adds too much weight.:huh2:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled program.

I have the mill set up, and will start the last no doubt highly collectable Lucky Phil V11 Sport Shifter Extender (tm) run this afternoon.

Yeah, I know.. I said the last one was the last. But. I have a precedent, set by Guzzi.. "Hey, Luigi..those 500 numbered Rossos sold pretty well. Let's run another batch." :rasta:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

"Psssst! Hey! Hey, buddy, cm'ere-cm'ere . . . trade ya this Scud-made First-Gen Chuck SuperSpring for a Chuck-made Third-Gen LuckyPhil Shift Extender" . . .Ā  :glare:

IMG_6417.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Ok, listen up. I have them machined and formed. I will *probably* powder coat them tomorrow, or maybe Thursday. If anyone wants a Greenie Green one, let me know. I'm planning on coating some airplane parts with that color and I could add shifter extenders to the batch. Unless you speak up, you get flat black. This ain't the Burger King.. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2