Lucky Phil extender mod

Chuck

Phil, I have tracking numbers for US shipments, but not for overseas. What I do have is is a Customs # LJ026837595US if that helps. ?

Edit: Pasting that number in the usps website gets a message that it's arrived in Oz and is currently in transit to the destination.

Phil, I have tracking numbers for US shipments, but not for overseas. What I do have is is a Customs # LJ026837595US if that helps. ?

Edit: Pasting that number in the usps website gets a message that it's arrived in Oz and is currently in transit to the destination.

Thanks Chuck, I'm not stressed about it although I did note the one to NZ was a fast post. Those Kiwis always seem to have it over us Aussies:)

Zink Chromate green is fine Chuck, reminds me of the old days when we were allowed to use such stuff on aeroplanes, along with Mastinox.

Thanks to docc as well for covering the postage. Hope everyone is happy with the performance.

Ciao 

I'm a fan of zinc chromate. :grin: I've seen really old aircraft fuselage tubing that hasn't rusted a bit.

I agree, toxic as it is, it is too good to strip off. I used it as a primer, so it is still there, just under another coat of paint.

Has anyone tried the extender yet? There's probably a reason Guzzi put that slot on there.

I'm just hoping they all fit ok, and the suspense is killing me. :oldgit:

I fitted the shift extender today. It's better alright!

That slot is a mystery to me too, it may allow that lever to fit different shift pedals on other models.

I'm still going to fettle the gearbox shift mechanism as Lucky Phil suggested.

I tried it out on a trip out past the black stump today. It was to visit Dangerous, give him some stuff, and look at his bike. Now that is an awesome looking and sounding exhaust system!

I'm a fan of zinc chromate. :grin: I've seen really old aircraft fuselage tubing that hasn't rusted a bit.

I agree, toxic as it is, it is too good to strip off. I used it as a primer, so it is still there, just under another coat of paint.

Has anyone tried the extender yet? There's probably a reason Guzzi put that slot on there.

I'm just hoping they all fit ok, and the suspense is killing me. :oldgit:

I fitted the shift extender today. It's better alright!

That slot is a mystery to me too, it may allow that lever to fit different shift pedals on other models.

I'm still going to fettle the gearbox shift mechanism as Lucky Phil suggested.

I tried it out on a trip out past the black stump today. It was to visit Dangerous, give him some stuff, and look at his bike. Now that is an awesome looking and sounding exhaust system!

I kind of *assumed* the slot was to make up for sloppy manufacturing tolerances.. :whistle: Glad to see it fits and works. :grin:

I have mine mounted. Seems like it unearthed a few issues I was having with my transmission and have been fettling with it since. But up shifts are much smoother and more positive. Thanks again to Chuck and Phil.

By unearthed issues - do you mean that adding the part has caused or amplified an existing problem? Since upshifts are better, does this mean you are having trouble with downshifts? If so that sounds about like the current state of my LeMans. Now awaiting some parts and will get into the shifter once more. I think I'll install the extender first, just in the name of scientific experimentation and isolating variables.  :nerd:

I have mine mounted. Seems like it unearthed a few issues I was having with my transmission and have been fettling with it since. But up shifts are much smoother and more positive. Thanks again to Chuck and Phil.

By unearthed issues - do you mean that adding the part has caused or amplified an existing problem? Since upshifts are better, does this mean you are having trouble with downshifts? If so that sounds about like the current state of my LeMans. Now awaiting some parts and will get into the shifter once more. I think I'll install the extender first, just in the name of scientific experimentation and isolating variables.  :nerd:

This gearbox has a certain technique to it that is slightly different to say a Ducati or Japanese box. I always preload the shifter when shifting in both direction. Also due to the design of the detenting mechanism it requires you "follow through" with shifts especially in the upper gears. The detent cylinder on a ducati for example looks like a pointed star from the end so the detent roller is either either going to slot into the next gear or spring back into the previous on a sloppy or lazy/relaxed shift. The V11 detent wheel has slots with flat sections between the gears, most notably on the upper gears so the detent mechanism isnt necessarily going to "help you out" with a lazy shift.

The other thing is due to the Guzzi's heavy flywheel you cant just flick the throttle for downshifts like you can with a Ducati, you have to lean more to the roll it on for it to catch revs, this also makes down shifts less fluid. I suspect the Guzzi will shift better still when I fit the RAM clutch unit.

Forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know, and if you dont already do it try downshift preload. I've just always done it on the guzzi, not necessary on other bikes I've ridden.

Ciao     

• Like 1

Seriously, I played such an infinitesimally small part in this . . . Fantastic effort on Chuck's part! And, not just the extender mod, Luckyhil, but the amazing, documented tutorial on the entire V11 shifting mechanism:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19547

(I'm just glad to find out mules can swim!) ;)

Seriously, I played such an infinitesimally small part in this . . . Fantastic effort on Chuck's part! And, not just the extender mod, Luckyhil, but the amazing, documented tutorial on the entire V11 shifting mechanism:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19547

(I'm just glad to find out mules can swim!) ;)

Well, I guess mules can swim, but they're slow. :huh2: Yes the tutorial makes it plain how the preselector works, and is a great resource for us. :thumbsup:

What are the chances you'd be willing to go for another production run on these? Would love to have one myself!

What are the chances you'd be willing to go for another production run on these? Would love to have one myself!

That's a qualified maybe. I've had several inquires.. I'm *not* going to do all that labor again, no matter how much I like you guys.  :oldgit:

Let me see if I can find some water jet or laser shop that will do the grunt work. Right now, I have more important stuff to do. Off to the Kentucky rally tomorrow.. :grin:  

• Like 1

Totally understandable. I'd be happy to carry on the efforts, I have access to a CNC machine and and lots of other toys, if you provided me with the CAD drawing I could happily make on myself. And I hereby promise not to take your and Lucky Phil's work and make millions of dollars off of it lol ;)

• Like 2