Larger tool kit

RichMaund

Folks

Another of the mods to my bike was to make a more useful tool pouch for it. The one in the photo was the first I built and I still use it. It is 2X larger than stock and fills up the space provided perfectly. Assuming you have removed the charcoal cannisters so you CAN carry a tool pouch! :lol:

I carry a full set of allen wrenches, small open end wrenches, a multi tip screw driver and even a CO2 inflator. Much nicer storage than the stock pouch provides!

I have sold a number of these. I have one in stock now in a bone colored leather. But if there are enough people who want one to warrant putting a whole hide to use, I could do more in red leather like the one shown in the photo is made from.

As a professional mechanic and tool junkie, I always look for ways to carry more useful tools on the bike. Funny thing is though, I can't remember ever having to work on my own Guzzi while traveling. But there have been many times I have helped people with sick bikes at Rallies. :)

So at least they do see their use!

Comments or suggestions for improvement are always welcome!

V11SToolPch1.JPG

Rich -- cool!

I like the look of that a lot -- what are you asking for these pouches? I've considered making my own tool pouch out of cotton duck, but haven't actually gotten to it (the stock tool bag just barely holds my revised tool kit). If your leather pouch is an acceptable price, I'm interested in one.

Also, are you Rich of Rich's Custom Upholstery on Aurora in Seattle? If so, I ride by your business twice a day. :)

They are $30 each plus shipping. They are made from thick upholstery grade leather. So the outside has been factory treated for moisture resistance. I use heavy #138 black poly sail makers thread and double stitch them all around. Up top at the flap it is gone over three times. The hardware is all chrome over brass marine grade.

I like to spray Ballistol on the inside before I store my tools in it. Helps prevent rust. Amsoil MP works for this too.

A good friend of mine, now passed away, used to make tool rolls and pouches from duck canvas for his friends here in our Guzzi Club. The duck material frays easily from rubbing when stored in a bike and absorbs moisture too. Keep it treated with something! We used to joke that you knew you were "somebody" in the Club if you'd been given one of Norm's tool rolls! He was a great old guy and I miss him. I still use the big ugly frayed blue tool roll he made for me back in 1993. Many good memories in it. He's actually the one who got me into sewing seat covers. He even gave me a machine and said to practice on other peoples stuff. Then, when I got good, he wanted me to cover a seat for him! If I did that, I could have the machine. What a character he was! I made some neat stuff with that old Singer. But it would only handle three layers of vinyl before dropping stitches. That really limits what you can make. Back in 1996 when I went pro I bought a professional model Consew. (20 layers of nauga or a 1/4" of belt leather were now no problem to sew!) When I decided to go full time 4 years ago I moved up to a even better Juki machine with large bobbin and reverse. You wouldn't believe the tooling I have now! My shop qualifies as a light manufacturing facility! But it's the upholstery we do for customers. The machining, welding and other stuff is just for me and my son to play with. Have you seen the rack on my V11S? That was one of many projects like that we have done for ourselves. Great "quality time" with my son!

Rich's Custom Upholstery is on the opposite end of the country from me. Back when the gel product was invented the first company to market it mistakenly sent shipments (Large shipments!) of product meant for them to me. Stupid morons actually crossed out the correct address and wrote mine in. :doh: Then I'd have to call them up and tell tell them to get them the stuff out of here or I'd charge them storage. I always wondered what Rich's in Wa. thought of that problem. :lol: But no, I am not affiliated with them in any way. I am a sole propriatorship and operate out of a large home shop behind my house here in Chesapeake, Va. 'Been in business professionally since 1996!

I have the bone colored leather pouch here ready to ship. Let me know if you'd like it. Thanks!