"Hot" Relay?

Stick

I pulled the seat off after a ride last week, maybe 1/2 hour of seat time.  I was attempting to wiggle the relays to see if I could make my headlight misbehave ( This season, I placed a 20W LED H4 replacement in there...)

Anyway, I noticed that the rear-most relay seems to be notably warmer than any of the others.  The rear one probably carries the most continuous current, since it's powering the FI pump, coils, and injectors.  I'd guess about 8 or 9A, but I have not measured it yet.  

I do carry spare, new relays that I ordered from Digi Key.  I think they're Omron brand.  So I swapped in a new one. Checked it again after another 1/2 hour ride, and see that it is still warmest.  Not super hot, but definitely warmer than the others.  Granted, #4 does the ECU and #2 is the headlight, so I'm guessing there's less amps going thru those.

Has anyone else noticed this?   :huh2:  Or would you like to see if your rear-most relay is warmest?   Or do I have to assume I have a marginal connection in the socket? 

I did dissect the old relay, and it shows no sign of bad contact of overheating of any sort (visual and scent).

2002 V11 Lemans w/ 15Kmi.

Thanks in advance, 

Stick

Because of the fuel pump, I would expect it does carry the most consistent current. I have an infrared temperature reader, so might-could get some readings before long.

Hmmm . . . South'n Spine Raid TechSession? (We've measured and compared rear drive temps before . . .)

EDIT: Kiwi_Roy figured the #5 Relay is handling at least 22.5 amps:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12326&p=201362

That would be a challenge for a 20 amp relay! :o

I suspect it's the higher current, after running for a while pull the relay and touch the 30 & 87 pin on your lip that will show if one's getting too hot.

Sent from my shoe phone!

Are you being just a little cruel ?

No, that's what I do, your upper lip is very sensitive, I'm not trying to burn you LOL

There's a fine line between simple Wire Nuts and true Sparkies! :grin:

Thanks guys!  I'm just trying to get a feel for this one to see if it's "normal" or not to have that one feel warmer than the others, that are "always on with engine running".  So I assume that it's not the relay's coil producing the heat...because the others are always energized (except for the starter relay #1).

Stick

I had hoped to check a few V11 at the South'n Spine Raid (there were eight!), but it proved more cumbersome than I thought.  (*Other* TechSessions prevailed!  :luigi: )

I did hit mine with the IR reader and found the 2nd/Headlight Relay and 4th/ECU Relay about 125ºF and the 5th/FI Relay ~147ºF.  That difference would be quite discernible to the fingers, let alone the lips B) )

Seems the 1st/Starter Relay and 3rd/Neutral Relay were ~115ºF.  ("as I recall . . .").  I did not compare that to the surrounding materials.

I didn't have time to take notes, so may try to get another reading when things aren't as pressing.

EDIT: Notably, my headlight circuit is separated from these relays (#1 and #2).

AAAAhhhhh, nothing like the aroma of burning electrical wires.

I had hoped to check a few V11 at the South'n Spine Raid (there were eight!), but it proved more cumbersome than I thought.  (*Other* TechSessions prevailed!  :luigi: )

I did hit mine with the IR reader and found the 2nd/Headlight Relay and 4th/ECU Relay about 125ºF and the 5th/FI Relay ~147ºF.  That difference would be quite discernible to the fingers, let alone the lips B) )

Seems the 1st/Starter Relay and 3rd/Neutral Relay were ~115ºF.  ("as I recall . . .").  I did not compare that to the surrounding materials.

I didn't have time to take notes, so may try to get another reading when things aren't as pressing.

Thanks for the redundancy check, Docc.  And with an IR temp reader.  Your temps seem pretty warm, warmer than I thought I was feeling.  Maybe 'cuz yer "down South".  I got to find my IR reader.  

But it's good to know that it's just not my machine.

Thanks again,

Stick

The Chinese GEI relays should probably not have the 30 amp rating that they somehow have:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12326&p=133211

Not that they're "bad" just that they're not the "best."

Even the best get hot, though. They're hard at work!

The Chinese GEI relays should probably not have the 30 amp rating that they somehow have:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12326&p=133211

Not that they're "bad" just that they're not the "best."

Even the best get hot, though. They're hard at work!

I'm curious about the GEI being nicely sealed at the bottom, and the others not so. Seems like a good idea, moisture, corrosion, and all. Any thoughts?