"Hot" Relay?

Stick

OMRON, apparently, discontinued this G8HN relay (Those are the ones I'm using). You can easily run a bead of epoxy around the underside of your relay where the case joins the base and seal it yourself.

What we cannot do is alter the intrinsic materials and contact sizes:

GEI Omron
Moving contact material:   Silver alloy  |  Silver alloy
NC contact material:              Copper   |  Silver alloy
NO contact material:              Copper   | Silver alloy
Moving contact diameter: 0.085/0.083 | 0.099/0.098 inches
Terminal material:             Plated Brass | Plated Copper

EDIT: Higher Capacity OMRON are available:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19755&p=216605

Heat comparison forthcoming . . . (waiting for "riding weather." B) )

Docc,

I have used the Panasonic products in the past. Discovered them when doing business with a company called Easter Beaver http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html (Canadian Guy marries a Japanese woman and...you get the rest)

With all the talk about bad relays I had thought about trying some to see how they held up. They're very durable, well sealed, and tolerate heat well. They are also rated to 35amp. Not to expensive either and I trust a Japanese part to a Chinese one any day.

Have seen these sold as replacements for older bikes. Upgraded connections recommended.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/accessory-relays.html

Spec sheet

https://www.panasonic-electric-works.com/cps/rde/xbcr/pew_eu_en/ds_61204_en_cm.pdf

Volume purchase:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic-Industrial-Devices/CM1-12V/?qs=UO%2Fx91QLkSBUaPb1eC%2FvuQ%3D%3D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got several of the new relays and have been running them for a little while now with no issues so far.

At first glance they do appear to be very high quality and tightly sealed. The connectors are nicely coated and while they weigh a gram or so more than the others they are at least 5% smaller so they are not crowded together as the others which may help with the heat issue addressed in this thread.

gallery_10329_231_2532414.jpg

gallery_10329_231_248281.jpg

gallery_10329_231_1802862.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's looking like "heat issues" are more a function of contact ratings, "thermal conduction path for contact heat",  and load.

Looking forward to installing the higher rated OMRON G8HE and re-testing temperatures.

I would think that lower temperatures = *better* relays.

• 2 weeks later...

InfraRed  temperature readings with the new high capacity G8HE relays:
           New Relay           (previous 9 year old G8HN OMRON)
#1             88ºF                                  115ºF
#2           112º                                    115º
#3             96º (and rising while in neutral)
#4           114º                                    125º
#5           138º                                    147º

(Again, my headlights do not run through the front relays as on factory wired early Sports.)

I suppose we could conclude that Relay#5 runs a good 20ºF/7ºC hotter than  #4. Yeah, you can feel that difference without putting your lips on it. :huh:

A "weaker" relay in the #5 position could, theoretically, get even hotter.

Arriving home (just eleven miles with a stop for fuel), and Relay#5 was cooler yet (126ºF).

Lots of variables here, no doubt. But it's easy to be encouraged by something besides just the spec sheet! :thumbsup:

Any change in temps with the other relays?

All the changes are posted above in Post # 20.

Not sure why Relay#1 changed so much. Figure I'll recheck this repeatedly and try to get a better understanding what may have changed.

• 3 weeks later...

I just measured the relay temps on my VIN 03 Sport Naked, and found this:

First column Omron G8HN-1C2T-R-DC12  all 5 positions

Second column OMRON G8HN-1C2T-R-DC12 in position 1-4  & G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12 in position 5.

position 1》 37°C---38°C

position 2》 51°C --51°C

position 3》 52°C --54°C

position 4》 58°C --54°C

position 5》 63°C --50°C

The temp for the Omron G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12 relay seems to be better, just as Docc's research tells us in post 20 above, and here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19755&page=5&do=findComment&comment=216605

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

(Again, my headlights do not run through the front relays as on factory wired early Sports.)

I suppose we could conclude that Relay#5 runs a good 20ºF/7ºC hotter than  #4. Yeah, you can feel that difference without putting your lips on it. :huh:

Hey Docc,

Thanks for taking this to a personal level.  I had though it was a bit odd when I started the thread, and it seems like "they all do it".

And you a VERY correct in saying that a cooler running relay is better.  Switches, connectors, and wiring in general are NOT supposed to get warm or hot.  It indicates that either the limit of the device (or wire) is being approached, or you have a plain old "bad connection".  

The only wiring I want to see warm are my grip heaters, or electric heated clothing!

Stick

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 1/31/2017 at 3:40 PM, docc said:

On 2/23/2017 at 3:16 AM, MartyNZ said:

I just measured the relay temps on my VIN 03 Sport Naked, and found this:

First column Omron G8HN-1C2T-R-DC12  all 5 positions

Second column OMRON G8HN-1C2T-R-DC12 in position 1-4  & G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12 in position 5.

position 1》 37°C---38°C

position 2》 51°C --51°C

position 3》 52°C --54°C

position 4》 58°C --54°C

position 5》 63°C --50°C

The temp for the Omron G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12 relay seems to be better, just as Docc's research tells us in post 20 above, and here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19755&page=5&do=findComment&comment=216605

My cheap infrared temp reader is only accurate to +/- 4ºF, but I wanted to bring these two posts together as it appears we have some newly available CTI relays available to be evaluated and operating temperatures have proven revealing.

I think both of you have missed the point with regards to relay temps. Guzzi have designed them as a "seat warmer". A free option not previously advertised but revealed here after 20 years.

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I think both of you have missed the point with regards to relay temps. Guzzi have designed them as a "seat warmer". A free option not previously advertised but revealed here after 20 years.

Ciao 

Moto Guzzi seat warmers my well-digger's ass!  B)

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-14%20at%206.54.3

• Haha 1

@brlawson I think you'll find the Panasonic are rated at 20A continuous and 35A switching. So they're not as good as the Omrons.

They are very good relays though and I've used them in the past and they haven't failed, but I'd still prefer to have the Omrons.

You need to check the continuous rating not the switching load

John

• Thanks 1