ST Front and GT Rear?

Scud

Tire talk time.

I'm looking at tires for the Scura. I generally replace them as a set, even though there is typically a bit more life left in the front when the rear is done. Which got me into my dangerous habit of thinking...

Assumptions:  GTs are generally longer wearing than STs - and therefore STs are a bit higher performance.

I was thinking of using Pirelli Angel GT on the rear and Pirelli Angel ST on the front. Then maybe I'd have better performance, wear out both tires at about the same rate - and the ST is $30 less than the same size GT.

Good idea? Bad idea? Experience?

That should work. I've never tried it before, but have run both of those tires quite a lot. Stickier front makes sense to me.

I just discovered a correlation between my typical rear tire service and the average mileage I'm riding each year of late: both about 4,000 miles.

Which consistently translates to coming home on a worn out tire on my autumn rides.  :blush:

I have just got to break this cycle . . .

But Docc, that cycle conveniently gives you the winter to change tires, fettle brake calipers, etc..... and start your next season off fresh. Do you also find that there is some life left in the front when the back is worn?

I'm running mismatched brands on my LeMans right now (Michelin PR2 rear and Angel GT front) and it's fine. Mismatch of type within the Pirelli Angel family seems like it would be no big deal.

I do like the idea of a stickier front and - just maybe - wearing out both tires at the same time.

Here in the deep, humid south, I ride more in the winter than the awful summers.

Looks like my records show fronts (ST or GT) give me ~7,000 miles to the rear ~4,200.

Previous Diablo Strada in their various forms (Corsa, Strada, "Normale") gave ~5,000 miles on the front.

So you see no significant difference in tread life between Angel ST and GT? 

Looking at Pirelli's website, they still list Angel ST and Angel GT as current tires. About the GT, they say "longer distances" and "the new reference for mileage." That would imply the STs wear faster (and would therefore be stickier). 

Could you notice any handling difference between the ST and GT?

The 4 Angel ST REAR gave me the same average mileage as the last Diablo Strada I ran (~3,600 miles), while the 3 GT REAR gave ~4,100 (I'm on my 4th now and hoping for same). Biggest difference I noticed with the GT (in addition to the extra 500 miles), is that the last couple hundred don't seem to disappear suddenly into a white stripe of cord. :o

The FRONTS, however:  my last Diablo Strada (2009) and 3 Angel ST all gave around 7,000 miles +/- ~100, while the only front GT I've been through went 7,400 (I'm only on my second GT front). So, *maybe* the fronts will also give an extra 500 miles (?)  . . . we'll see.

Yet, previous Pirelli Diablo fronts (2004-2008/ 6 tires: 3 Corsa, 1 Strada, 2 unspecified) averaged 4,600.

My impressions of performance keep me loyal to Pirelli and I do like the improved wear without sacrificing roadholding. I tried a high mileage tire from *someone else* and ended up ~unhappy~ (read: on my side). <_>

A couple caveats (YMMV):

1) Apparently, I'm rather hard on tires/ not a very *smooth* rider. But, I have a grand time ripping it up and down through the gears. :race:

And, 2) no tires compare to the (evil, squirming) Pirelli Dragon Corsa my sport was delivered from the factory with: 2772 miles. B)

Thanks Docc. I just placed an order for a 180 GT rear and a 120 ST front. I've run two GT 170s on the rear (about 5,000 miles each). I read a review, some guy claimed 9,000 miles on a GT on a ZX-14 Kawi. To that I say either "no freakin' way." - or - "the throttle is on the right."

Rear: I'll try the OEM size rear along with the slightly softer front. I suppose the 180 will last a bit longer than the 170 (5.9% more tread).

Front: I really just want to watch the Angel on the ST turn into a devil as the tread wears... I'll scrub those nasty little halos off in no time.

No tax, and free shipping on Amazon - and 5% back with the Amazon Store card. Net $250 for a set of tires. Those guys are dominating e-commerce... and now they're opening "brick-and-mortar" bookstores.

I like new tires.  :race:

I have done similar on the Bridgestone. BT014 up front and BT023 on rear.

Have to stay the "Pilot Road" wear and grip hung on well.

6k on rear and counting. As you say, the front is only 65% worn.

Soon be swapping wheels that have the Bridgestones ready n waitin'.

Good to know - I think I'll try the Michelin PR4s on the LeMans when it's time - or maybe pair the rear with a softer, grippier Michelin front.

some guy claimed 9,000 miles on a GT on a ZX-14 Kawi. To that I say either "no freakin' way." - or - "the throttle is on the right."

Back when I was regularly taking the Centauro wheels to the local dealer for tires, when he asked how many miles said "What? 'Busas get better mileage than that.."

I personally think it's the V twin firing pulses, but I could be all wet.

The V twin firing pulse tend to be easier on tires in my experience, not harder on them. I think it is more down to the way you ride, all else being equal (same roads, proper tire pressures, etc.).

It does not surprise me that 'busa  guys get better mileage, they are a bunch of sissy's ;-)

Good to know - I think I'll try the Michelin PR4s on the LeMans when it's time - or maybe pair the rear with a softer, grippier Michelin front.

The PR4 does not suit heavier bikes I understand (not used PR4 myself). They have alot of block cuts which move to generate heat. Too much with a heavy machine. I am riding with earlier versions that are still made

Sent wrestling with Tapatalk.

some guy claimed 9,000 miles on a GT on a ZX-14 Kawi. To that I say either "no freakin' way." - or - "the throttle is on the right."

Back when I was regularly taking the Centauro wheels to the local dealer for tires, when he asked how many miles said "What? 'Busas get better mileage than that.."

I personally think it's the V twin firing pulses, but I could be all wet.

I tend to agree with you on the twin pulses. I also believe that the shaft drive with two universal joints (instead of cv joints) creates more tire wear than a chain drive.