ST Front and GT Rear?

Scud

I've had such good performance on my Norge with 1 set of PR3's and 2 sets of PR4's, and just now put another set of PR 4's on the Norge, I have decided to put a set on the Scura as well.  Will get them installed tomorrow I hope...the tires on the Scura look dated with a 2014 time production stamp and although there is a fair amount of tread on them left, I figured I might as well put some fresh rubber on even though they have been pretty good so far.  Main reason to change is I've got a flat on the rear, and cannot find the source of the leak and the front one seems to be losing air frequently too.  Hopefully it's not anything more than a hidden puncture somewhere and nothing else...

Nothing like the smell of fresh rubber in the garage! 

It *is* Paul, isn't it? Gettin old is a bitch.. but Paul, make sure that the bead seating area is cleaned really well by whoever puts on your next set. That is the normal slow leak. The other is simply a valve core.

• Like 1

Indeed...it is I. 

Thanks Chuck!  Will have them pay special attention to that cleaning and request a new set of valve cores as well.  Looking forward to scrubbing in the new rubber!

Hope to see you at the Wisconsin rally in a few weeks!  

Great suggestions guys, you must be mind readers as well! 

I've been running the long stemmed preset sensors that show green/red as the pressure drops for an easy visual check of pressure, but I'd like to install an aftermarket TPMS model that's been sitting on the work bench for a while, I just need to see if they will fit with angled stems w/o hitting any HW on the rotation around.

Didn't get around to getting the tires mounted on the Scura today, but I got the valve adjustment done on the Griso...so it's ready to take up with me to Wisconsin in a few weeks.  

Has anyone tried Metzlers Roadtec 01s?

I've gone through a couple of pairs of Pirelli GT Angels and thought I would try something different

I got put the Roadtec 01 front on my Ducati ST3 today, along with new brake pads. Went for quick romp. Very pleased with the handling, but as always, I'm comparing a new tire to a worn-out tire.

Funny thing though. It was the first time I had put a front tire on the ST3 myself, so I stripped off all the weights, put the empty wheel on the balancer and marked the heavy spot (which was about 30 degrees away from the valve stem). BTW, this is a cast Brembo wheel, very similar to the V11's front wheel, maybe even identical. Anyway, I carefully lined up the red dot (light spot on tire) with the heavy spot on the wheel. And miraculously... it was perfectly balanced. First time I've ever installed a tire and didn't need any weights.

Has anyone tried Metzlers Roadtec 01s?

I've gone through a couple of pairs of Pirelli GT Angels and thought I would try something different

I got put the Roadtec 01 front on my Ducati ST3 today, along with new brake pads. Went for quick romp. Very pleased with the handling, but as always, I'm comparing a new tire to a worn-out tire.

Funny thing though. It was the first time I had put a front tire on the ST3 myself, so I stripped off all the weights, put the empty wheel on the balancer and marked the heavy spot (which was about 30 degrees away from the valve stem). BTW, this is a cast Brembo wheel, very similar to the V11's front wheel, maybe even identical. Anyway, I carefully lined up the red dot (light spot on tire) with the heavy spot on the wheel. And miraculously... it was perfectly balanced. First time I've ever installed a tire and didn't need any weights.

Cool! what type of wheel balance/stuff/tools do you possess?

I bought a wheel balancer from Marc Parnes, who is a machinist/motorcycle addict. Here's a link to his site:  http://www.marcparnes.com/

Basic use:  put the wheel with balancer on two sawhorses, wait for the heavy spot to settle and add weight to the top - until the wheel stays in place in any position, indicating it is balanced. It's kind of fun to do.

There is a $50 prepaid VISA card rebate if you buy a set of Metzeler tires before the end of august. here's a link to the rebate form:  https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/chapmoto/files/pdf/2018_METZELER_US_50I20_IOMTT_FORM1.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Did get one rear Avon 3D Ultra S Sport with the Corsa, so bought the same for the front.

My first season with the V11. Yes I liked the Avons, but only 4360km.

Pirelli GT next time.

Cheers tom 9c2952c59baf0796d708f4dd8ece356b.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G903F via Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the 10k on the 1100 sport i.

Started out with Bridgestone T30 EVOs on both ends; 120/60F and 170/70R. 
I never liked the way the BSs felt- the guys at the spine raid can attest my tentative trust in them at lower speeds.

That said, they are DEAD STABLE above 60mph. Any road surface, any corner, any speed. I never fully trusted the front, but I got 6700 miles out of it, and because the Triumph dealer in Tracy, CA wouldn't work on the bike, I got to ride The Crossroads on a worn slap-out front; when I came out of that 200 extra miles it had obliterated any evidence of tread on the 45* area. Never slipped, never bounced, never scared me. But never made me love it. The rear was pretty well worn in the center, but looked like new on the sides- my style tends to abuse the front coming into corners and ease on out. Overall, they lasted well, did a great job, and were, in retrospect, the better tires going across the fast ugly parts of OK and KS than were the Pirelli Angel GTs going across the Southern flats.

Installed Pirellis in San Jose. Holy crap what an enormous difference in handling. Immediate security, trust, feedback. I'd say better traction, but I never pushed the Bridgestones to the point of slipping so I can't say that definitively.
The P's were, at all speeds, easier to maneuver and point- although straight-line stability wasn't as good; I had to be constantly conscious of the weight on the bars and accidental inputs. 
Sizes were 120/70F 160/60R. 
The smaller rear took 3mph off my speed/rpm, which cost me a 6 mile shortage to gas in NM...well I did pay extra for roadside assistance just for that case. 

Overall, I like the Pirelli's far better any time there's not straight road. I can't comment so much on their endurance, 3500 miles of flat straight roads behind 500 miles of SoCal curves only left a noticeable but not unexpected levelling of the center of the rear. Based on the same point in the BS rear on the way out, I'd say the Pirelli rear will go slightly less under the same circumstances, maybe 6k miles. 
Pressures were 32/32 for the entire trip. 

I chose the only set of tires I could find in town on the shelf, if they'd been available I'd have gone with a larger rear, but I don't know if that's available or how it would affect the handling.

Beware the next spine raid lol

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

G'day.

As I've just treated mine to a new set of shoes ( Pirelli Angel GT ) I kinda felt compelled to add to this thread.

Holy shit !!!

I'm seriously impressed by these tyres.

I've run Michelin Pilot roads 2, 3 and 4 and was really looking forward to the new 5.

However the importer here in Oz stuffed up and I had to try something else.

So and this is not just new tyres compared to knackered old ones.

The Angels are still quick on turn in ( slightly slower which I like ) but a hell of a lot more stable FEELING.

Speaking of FEELING there's tons more of it and the bike just plain handles so much better because of it.Much more confidence in her handling.

Don't get me wrong she was good before but just soooooo much better now!

Another thing and this is odd.They must be more compliant as well?

I have a buggered neck.Its bolted back together. Ha ha

Seriously C2,3,4 and 5 have been fused, rods screws plate etc .

So since I got back into riding again about 10 years ago I've always been susceptible to wind, helmet buffeting, bumpy or crap roads.

So much that after a ride most times the first thing I reach for is a Panadol ( pain-killer ).

Ha ha now I've only had 3 x rides and about 800 k's on these but I haven't had to reach for the Panadols yet!

And two of these rides were on notorious 2 x Panadol roads!!

Anyways I reckon I'll be sticking ( pardon the pun ) with the Pirellis from now on.

I've yet to ride in the rain yet and get the feeling that the Michelins are probably a little better in the wet but the Pirellis are a lot better in the dry !

I can give up a little wet performance for the Huge gains in the dry.

Well this was supposed to be a short plug but I've gotten to waffling a bit!

Anyways folk's I'm chuffed with the Pirelli's.

Cheers Guzzler.    

• Like 3