ST Front and GT Rear?

Scud

How many miles can you get out of a rear tire on a Moto Guzzi V11?

I believe it's the same line of questioning as in this video. Let's find out when we ask Docc, the wise owl:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's about time for a new set of tires... and to report back on how the Angel ST front and Angel GT combo worked out.

I was happy with the on-road performance. Most of the miles were solo sporting rides in the local mountains - not much commuting or freeway time.

According to my notes, I installed them at 9,410 and the odometer currently shows 13,309 - so let's call it 4,000 miles. And a year and half to do it. That's shameful, but in my defense, I rode a lot of miles of other bikes during that time.

My theory was that the ST front and GT Rear would wear out at about the same time, given that my past GT rear wore down faster than the front. However the ST front has hit the wear bar first this time - and some trail braking down steep and curvy mountain roads may be to blame. The front still has tread in the center, while the rear is getting close to the wear bar in the center.

Front:

IMG_8105.jpg

Rear:

IMG_8104.jpg

I think I'll do a little commuting to finish up these tires, then go back to GT tire front and rear.

And FWIW, yesterday I took my nephew out on his F4. He got it new and it still had the original sticky Pirelli Corsas, which were right on the wear bars when we started. We did about 250 miles before I noticed he had exposed the cords on the rear. Fortunately, we were able to get him a new tire for his ride back to Orange County.

Lesson: pay attention to those wear bars...

Gratuitous Ducati and MV shot:

IMG_8111.jpg

• Like 1

I never get sick of seeing those MVs.

I got to ride it too. It just begs to do illegal things, such precise handling and so much power... and the harder you work it, the better it sounds.

The F4 is just so cool, but it's not a great street bike. I have mixed feelings about my nephew's choice of bike. On one hand, it's stunning and he lets me ride it, so that's cool. On the other, it's way more bike than he needs at age 25. But then, he saved his money and spent it how he wanted to. And at least he bought something special, not a GSXR with pink frame lighting. As I said, mixed feelings.

Back to the MV, massive power. Even the 675cc MV F3 is far more powerful (not to mention far lighter) than my Ducati ST3. I'm sure I could ride the F3 faster than the F4 in the mountains - and it's 25% less cost. The F3 looks to be much more value-for-money than the F4, and used F3s are relatively affordable.

And then, after he rode my Ducati: "Wow, it's really comfortable."  Perhaps I still have something to teach. I'll let him ride the Scura next time.

Sooo... was this a tire thread? Don't tire threads normally drift off into bonus topics? Mission accomplished. 

I'm going to put Metzeler Roadtec 01s on my Ducati. Starting with the front soon while I burn off a soft rear tire.