Soft saddle bag recommendations

Cyborg

I have this:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-evo-cargobag-tail-bag

Works well with the passenger seat cowl still on, or remove the cowl if you need a bit more space (or a softer, flatter bottom surface, like if you need to carry a laptop)

I ended up using this for the tail, and a Chase Harper 1360BLK tank bag.

• Like 1

JBB- Being a cheap bastad and not knowing how much or often I would actually use them, I bought the Nelson Rigg equivalent. Your correct that you can pack a bunch of stuff in them. I eventually bought a set of H/B hard bags but recently discovered the tail bag will still fit even with the hard bags installed.

Cyborg- I don't think yo will be disappointed with either brand/bag.

• Like 1

JBB- Being a cheap bastad and not knowing how much or often I would actually use them, I bought the Nelson Rigg equivalent. Your correct that you can pack a bunch of stuff in them. I eventually bought a set of H/B hard bags but recently discovered the tail bag will still fit even with the hard bags installed.

Cyborg- I don't think yo will be disappointed with either brand/bag.

I'm in the same boat... cheap bastard and probably only use them for grocery/beer runs on a small island that I frequent. The Nelson Rigg tank bag and saddle bags will likely arrive tomorrow. 

A regular blast out to the desert:

IMG_1346.jpg

Recent trip to SFO:

13226733_10154141112255270_5424368124265

• Like 2

Received the Nelson Rigg CL2020 tank bag. Really nice quality for the price. Fits well, feels stable, and would recommend it (keep in mind it's my first tank bag). Will probably go a little cross eyed trying to read the GPS.

T Bag 2

T Bag

The Nelson Riggs CL 950 saddle bags arrived as well. Same quality, but.... there is no way to use them when carrying a passenger. The cross straps are wide, and won't fit under the seat (which doesn't look like a good idea anyway, with the shape of the seat pan around the relays). They also won't fit under the tail piece.

With relocation of the rear turn signals and an added bracket, it might allow room for the passenger to use the rear pegs. Even without a passenger, I would want to trim the padding (goes between the bags and the bike) around the turn signals to allow the bags to move rearward. I'll probably want to trim the padding a bit at the front, so it's not interfering with my posterior.

S Bag 2

S Bag

If you want some good cheap saddle bags then go to Pet and Horse.com and look up Versa Packs VP-100. Sorry I have no idea how to put a direct link lol. But they are pretty popular with the Enduro crowd. And did I mention cheap at only $19.94. There shipping is a little expensive so I would order more than 1 set or maybe some other stuff while you are at it.

I am sure there must be places that make panniers for your Moto Guzzi to keep them off of the side of the bike and hold them in place. If not you can always make your own. I fell on my head and made my own for my KLR out of HDPE Delrin.

saddle%20bag%204_zpsfsjs3kiv.jpg

• Like 1

"I am sure there must be places that make panniers for your Moto Guzzi to keep them off of the side of the bike and hold them in place. If not you can always make your own. I fell on my head and made my own for my KLR out of HDPE"

I like the HDPE idea and have sufficient equipment in the garage to turn a couple out.

"I am sure there must be places that make panniers for your Moto Guzzi to keep them off of the side of the bike and hold them in place. If not you can always make your own. I fell on my head and made my own for my KLR out of HDPE"

I like the HDPE idea and have sufficient equipment in the garage to turn a couple out.

Then there you go. Go to your local plastics shop and you may find what you need in the scrap bin and for about $50.00 and some of your time and imagination you will have a saddle bag set up that should serve you well. Maybe not fancy but functional. :)

Jester, you'll have to work a lot harder at it to be found "way off base" here . . . ;)

I never thought of using HDPE for mounts. I've long wanted to prototype some mounts to move my Tekno forward and down:

mountseven.jpg

Docc I have no idea what a Tekno is?

Plus I am just a slow American so your measurements seem to be in metric where I am used to measurements in Standard. You know inches lol.

But yes HDPE comes in many different type's and is a wonderful product to use depending of course on the loads and temperatures that it will have to withstand. It also machines well thus is very low wearing on equipment.

If you should need help I will be glad to help all I can. Even though most things I make by hand I do also use some simple tools such as a band saw. And I also have a small Lathe.

Believe it or not the flats I made flat and smooth by using and old No 3 and No 5 Stanley hand plane. HDPE cuts smooth as butter.

• Like 1

I think it was MartyNZ that pointed out that my "working drawings" are a mixture of metric and inch measure. :wacko:  I seem to recall doing it that way because I would have to source materials in inch measure and dimension the build to the bike in metric.

Tekno supplied the semi-rigid panniers for the Moto Guzzi accessory offered for the V11. they are an expanding type saddle bag of a "cordura-type" Nylon removable by a clever mounting bracket made by KLICKfix of Germany.  First generation had Tekno logos, while the second gen say Moto Guzzi and have more robust construction and improved mounting racks.

IMG_0452.jpg

killboy.jpg

Tekno was the popular luggage and mount system for V11 machine, back in the day.  Here's a pic of my clapped out bags that came on a bike I bought (and since sold).  Very sun-bleached and one w/ bad zipper.

Luckily, the bike looked much better than these bags!

I removed the mounts off the back, and used them on hard luggage on my newer Lemans.  Now, if I could only find THAT pic!

Oops, Sorry Docc, I was shrinking the photo size, and didn't see UR reply!

Tekno.jpg